• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

varmint reduced loads

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

cybermike

I have been using 6.5gr TrailBoss powder behind my standard full velocity 50gr Hornady SP varmint projectile in my L461 Vixen .222 to roughly duplicate .22 Rimfire Magnum ballistics. This is where the hunting is close & I need to minimize noise. I need to buy more projectiles, & am wondering if there is a better projectile for low velocity expansion? Maybe Hornady .22 Hornet 45gr SP? There are many .224 projectile options, though most are intended to hold together & expand at muzzle velocities above 3000fps - whereas my current load is approximately 1700fps.

Also, is my 1977 model rifle .224 or actually .223? I have been using the former diameter projectiles with good accuracy, though it was recently suggested to me that some of the Sakos were the latter diameter. Cheers.

I use the same 50 grain Hornady in somewhat reduced loads with Alliant Blue Dot in my .223, but the velocity is somewhat higher, running around 2800 fps. Expansion has been fully adequate, but then my velocities are about 1,000 fps more than yours. Any of the bullets intended for the Hornet should give you plenty of expansion. The problem is that most of them are very blunt, but I assume you're not shooting at longer ranges so the blunt noses shouldn't matter much.

Your rifle is specked for a .224" groove diameter, as were all .22 Centerfires post WW-II. Of course, it was made on machinery specked in metric, and was gauged in metric numbers, so the actual diameter may or may not be exactly .224". But don't worry about it. A difference of .001" won't make any difference in the way it shoots. A modern barrel from many manufactures may vary that much within the length of the barrel.

However, if your question is can you shoot .223" bullets for the Hornet in it, the answer is yes, certainly, and they may shoot as well as the .224" bullets.

Hi!
There are reduced loads that were developed on another forum
Reduced Loads

"We developed these loads in a Sako Vixen rifle, with a 24" barrel. All groups were 3 shots at 50 yards. We used RWS primers in RWS brass. and used the Remington 45 g SP."
Send me an e-mail and I will give you the link as I believe this data maybe what you are looking to find.
Thanks!
Jim

Cybermike,

If you are running at .22mag velocities, why not use .22mag projectiles? The 40gn HPs are available here in Australia. I bought some from Elks in Albury Victoria. If you want a handful to try send me a message with your details.

BTW they are accurate enough for the distances you want to use them over - I tried a full power load in one of my .222s and it shot under 1" at 100m. I suspect the trajectory would fall off a cliff pretty quickly after that though.

Marcus

Cybermike,

If you are running at .22mag velocities, why not use .22mag projectiles? The 40gn HPs are available here in Australia. I bought some from Elks in Albury Victoria. If you want a handful to try send me a message with your details.

BTW they are accurate enough for the distances you want to use them over - I tried a full power load in one of my .222s and it shot under 1" at 100m. I suspect the trajectory would fall off a cliff pretty quickly after that though.

Marcus

I contacted Winchester Australia who tells me they are no longer producing .22mag projectiles as a reloading supply - so maybe not a good idea to get too attached to the last remaining ones in the system. Thanks for your kind offer Marcus. The current projectiles I am using are the “SX” (Super Explosive) variant of the Hornady 50gr SP - which seem to be doing a good enough job @ 1700fps MV on the wild cats which are usually around 50yds out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have loaded reduced 223 loads with Alliant 2400 powder and 40-45 grain bullets. My charge weight was near 12 grains, FPS was 2670 average with chronograph.

Of course check reputable web sources for confirmation. My data is from an older Alliant manual.

Hi cybermike

yes had this same need for a reduced load - but moreso for making sure I got a whole rabbit for the pot - and here is the results [perhaps the Trailboss will be better [safer] than the red dot load, but have been using it for many years before trail boss came out] Of the many 40 grain pills, tested them and best of the bunch was the Nosler 40g - very soft and explosive enough at low velocities and accurate and right seating length too, which the hornet bullets could not do.

Test 1. Aim: - a 40g pill emulating 22 magnum or thereabouts for rabbits 50- 70yds.

5.1 g of Red Dot, 40g Nosler BT, Hornady cases neck sized only, Fed GMM primer or any, OAL to factory. Velocity is ~ 1800fps

Results: much quieter than std 222 loads, still a touch more than 22 WMR tho. Performance of the Nosler at these low velocities is exceptionally good. Full case expansion, no blow back and primer is fine, thus pressure signs seem all OK. Works perfectly well on rabbits, accurate enough for a precise head shot. Accuracy under an inch at 50 yds. Impacts 1" lower and 1/3" to the left compared to my standard load 40g at 3400, and 1/2" lower than the 12g 'hornet load' below at 50 yards so YES can all be used with the same scope setting.

TEST 2. AR2205 [a published ADI load data]

Cases: Winchester
Primer: Fed GMM
Projectile: 40g Nosler BT

Aim: '22 Hornet emulating' load for on farm use where distances don't require a full powered load and where noise may be a factor but good for 100 to 130yds but not too destructive.

40g Nos BT
AR2205 ADI start load = 12.0 yes 2,500 fps [MAX= 15.0 FOR 3,045fps]

Results: works very well at ADI start load, under 1" at 100yds, primer fine, fully expanded case, no blowback, perfectly acceptable.

Hard to distinguish any much difference between the two loads on rabbits, in the pics you can see that head shots obviously work, and a slight miss also kills very humanely.

222 reduced loads.jpg

I’ll have to try some of those Noslers though won’t be for a while as I have 300 Hornady 50gr SPSX to get through!

Cakes of soap can be used for testing of expansion to get relative indication of expansion which I used a lot for .22 LR though I want to do for these reduced centrefire loads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've found the Hornady 35 grain V-Max (intended for the Hornet) to be devastating in slightly reduced loads in the Hornet (just enough Blue Dot to propel them at about 2500 fps.) Nosler now also offers a 35 grain Varmageddon which should provide similar performance. Once you run out of your 50 grainers you might want to give the diminutive and effective 35's a try.

Latest posts

Back