• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L691 25-06 mannlicher any information would be great

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

M Roberts

I'm a new member and would greatly appreciate any information on this rifle I picked up for a great price but can't find any details.

The "91" series (S491, small action; M591, medium action; L691, long action) succeeded the L461, L579 & L61R action Sakos. They were made only from 1992 to 1996 when they were replaced by the Model 75. Because of their short production run they are not commonly seen & don't seem to have the popular appeal of the earlier Sakos. Yours being a Mannlincher in a long action probably makes it scarcer yet. Although they were made in the three different action lengths, their diameters were all the same, which was not received well by Sako purists. There was also criticism of the recoil lug design. Having said that, they still are a very well made, quality rifle that share the accuracy standards & cosmetics Sako is famous for. I don't recall having seen a full stocked L691 in 25-06 before, so you may have a fairly rare piece. Can you post pics for us? Welcome to the club!!

There is nothing wrong with the L691 action, and long action Sako Mannlichers are somewhat scarce in any caliber. Of course their scarceness may have something to do with longer cartridges not being well-adapted to short barrels, so there was never too much demand for them. This is particularly true for a high-velocity cartridge typically used for longer ranges like the .25-06. Rounds like the .308 are much more popular in carbine length barrels.

I'm not at all surprised that it may have sold once for north of $1,500 (with or without scope/rings?) I'm also not surprised that someone who bought it at that price and for one or another reason couldn't afford to keep it might have to take somewhat less. Since you know both of the prices that it recently sold for aren't you in a much better position to tell us what the market price on it should be than any of us are?

Of course their scarceness may have something to do with longer cartridges not being well-adapted to short barrels, so there was never too much demand for them.
Spot on. I personally don't see the logic on having a carbine on a long action. Much better suited to a .222 or .308 on the L461 or L579. For some reason you see a lot of these .25-06 carbines for sale considering how there were only apparently very few made?

Spot on. I personally don't see the logic on having a carbine on a long action. Much better suited to a .222 or .308 on the L461 or L579. For some reason you see a lot of these .25-06 carbines for sale considering how there were only apparently very few made?
Thank you so much for the helpful info but I don't think you read the original post it said information not opinion on manufacturing issues but thanks for your time

Thank you for the info and if any one knows the $$ that would be helpful

This one is much more desirable than yours being an early model for most people (don't take offence to that, just a fact). http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...innbear-mannlicher-25-06.cfm?gun_id=100365724
and like I mentioned you can usually find one for sale if you want one due to the reason I mentioned above. As stated above I think you probably know its value better than us - somewhere between what you paid for it and the prices you listed and the one in link above.

Thank you so much for the helpful info but I don't think you read the original post it said information not opinion on manufacturing issues but thanks for your time
What exact information would you like? Looked like you were hunting for a price? and you were given that and also reasons why that price is probably lower than expected when compared to sako carbines in other cals. Sorry if you take offence to that, none intended.

I'm sure it will make a fine hunting rifle.

I see where you have 5 posts. The people that have been kind enough to respond to your inquiries have a combined total in excess of 7000 posts. You may want to consider what they offer. This site is not here to service yours demands, but rather to share information about an interest in Sako rifles. Take advantage of "opinions" that may be offered & you might learn something. Sorry if you can't just click your mouse & get the "answer" you want.

MRoberts: None of us intend to be discourteous, but knowing just what kind of information you're looking for would be helpful.

No one here has the ability to dictate what fair market value should be for any Sako; all we can offer is opinion. Besides, the market varies with the part of the country (or which country in the case of the many international members here on the forum), the time of year, the general economy, and maybe even the weather and the phase of the moon. You know what the high bidder paid on Gunbroker, which is a pretty broad market, so that figure gives you some kind of base line. You also know that it was worth less to him to keep it than what he paid since he sold it to you "for a lot less". You said you were looking for "information, not opinion", but asking for price is asking specifically for opinion. There is no such thing as MSRP on a used, twenty year-old rifle.

The Fejstad Blue Book, for only $40, will offer you an opinion on the market price of a used Sako rifle, but that publication can't even get the models straight and is infamously out of touch with the market on Sakos. Almost any random opinion from posters on this forum is likely to be closer to market that Fjestad.

We've also told you that the L691 was made for just a few years in the mid-1990's, that there's nothing wrong with them, and that long action Mannichers are scarcer because their calibers were not as much in demand with people who buy carbines. It actually looks like you gotten quite a bit of information.

But if there is some burning question you have about your purchase (other than just how much money you might make off of it), please feel free to ask. Members of the SCC will be happy to share with you whatever they might know.

Just goes to show how sometimes a little bit of knowledge can lead to a misconception. I'd be surprised if he got a bid, but I've seen stranger things happen on Gunbroker.

Yeah, serious buyers tend not to participate in reserve auctions, and the photos are pretty fuzzy. Also, buyers tend to be suspicious of first time sellers, so often don't bid until a person has acquired positive feedback. I suspect that from an established seller and with better photos (and no reserve) that the rifle would bring at least the starting bid plus. But you never know, since this is July and not October, when rifle buyers tend to be more serious.

Yeah, serious buyers tend not to participate in reserve auctions, and the photos are pretty fuzzy. Also, buyers tend to be suspicious of first time sellers, so often don't bid until a person has acquired positive feedback. I suspect that from an established seller and with better photos (and no reserve) that the rifle would bring at least the starting bid plus. But you never know, since this is July and not October, when rifle buyers tend to be more serious.
I would like to say thank you to the folks with info and apologize for being short. I was kinda looking for #s imported and if anyone else has one or seen others because I haven't seen any more like it. I just didn't think topgears opinion didn't help that's all. And thanks again for any info it is greatly appreciated.

Back