• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

My First Mannlicher

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

iwanna

And here it is. An AII in .243. I waited a long time to find something like this for a decent price. Funny thing was, I spotted this online--I think I was one of the first--I loved the price. Mannlicher stock. Nice wood.

After I committed to buying it I realized--it's a Mannlicher with nice wood! Somehow I hadn't quite combined the two thoughts at first.

Missing rear sight. It's okay. I never was too crazy about the Williams sights this one probably came with. Kind of a bolt-on look. But, anybody think I could replace this one with a original-looking Williams rear sight?

Attachments

• P8210695.jpg
    P8210695.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 48
  • P8210696.jpg
    P8210696.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 50
  • P8210697.jpg
    P8210697.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 40
  • P8210698.jpg
    P8210698.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 37
  • P8210700.jpg
    P8210700.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 37
  • P8210701.jpg
    P8210701.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 37
Beautiful iwanna. Those fullwood carbines are very handy in the bush. Would it have come with a rear site or a dovetail peep? I assume it's got screw holes for the rear site, that's how you know?
Personally I'd leave the rear site off if your going to be hunting with it.

Cheers John

Last edited:
By far most of the Sako mannlichers I've seen have very mediocre wood on them. It's what I've come to expect. I wonder if that's because the wood blanks are more expensive?

It was the older mannlichers that never got a rear sight. This one came with one originally, but it has been lost.

Topgear, bush is the only thing I've got where I hunt-- Ely MN right near the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. God, this year will be interesting. A huge storm came through in July and leveled many of the tallest trees on my property. It never was easy getting around on that rocky, hilly and heavily wooded patch. Now it is an ordeal, maybe dangerous even with all the leaners and deadfalls. I'll be the deer will love it though. So, yeah, it is carbine country to the max.

Getting a straight answer out of Williams is nearly impossible these days. Like Sako, all of the "old hands" are now gone and the new guys simply have no institutional memory of what sights were used on the many makes of rifles which Williams supplied sights for.

About three years ago a good friend obtained a Mannlicher just like yours on which both the front and rear sights were missing. He called Williams and got a guy who knew exactly which sights were used and sent him a set of perfect replacements. Fast forward a couple of years: I came by a Sako a year or so ago which was missing its rear sight. So I called Williams to inquire. The "old" guy was retired and the new customer service rep I got told me that there were dozens or hundreds of sight combinations and he had no record and no idea of what Sako used. Said if I could measure the height of the front sight and the distance between the sight mounting holes that there was a chance he might be able to find the right sight by trial and error -- but he wasn't encouraging. So I just mounted a scope and forgot about the rear sight.

However, it wouldn't hurt to give Williams a call and try your luck.

That's about what I figured on the Williams sight. A chance, sure, if it's that important to me. I might get around to putting in an inquiry.

Back