• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

New Member in Vic Aus

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Cain

New member in Victoria Australia. I have a L461 in .17REM which in trying to get some more information about.

Click on "Factory Records Service" in the upper left of this page. If your rifle falls within the model & serial number the club has data on, you can get that information. Is yours one of the stainless steel barreled 17 Rems sent to OZ when the fox market was hot? Welcome to the club!

Welcome. I'm sure we would all like to see pis of your new rifle so how about posting some for all of to enjoy. Thanks for joining us. I know you will have a great experience as there are a lot of experts ready and willing to share information. Topics abound so spend some time and drink in all you can.

rick

Well here it is. I've had it for 6-7 years and it's been a great gun. It has a stainless blued barrelled but I'm unsure if it's original or not. Super accurate and fun gun. I haven't fired a shot out of it for a few years now and the scope has been stolen to put on a .22. Does anyone have any ideas what something like this is worth? image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas what something like this is worth?
~$600. Not having the original stock and a re-barrel really just puts it at action value. Would also depend a little on what the bolt face looks like. .17's seem notorious for bolt face pits for some reason.

Welcome to the forum. You will have to get it scoped up again and out hunting!

Oh ok I was under the impression it was the original stock. The butt plate is certainly all original.

Bolt face looks pretty good besides being a bit dirty

image.jpg image.jpg

Oh ok I was under the impression it was the original stock.
It could be original but its had the cheek piece taken off it and all the checking removed so doesn't hold much value in that regard. Real value of the rifle is what you place on it though ;)

Hi Cain,
If it is indeed the original stock, it looks as though the checkering has been removed from the forend and pistol grip. Looking at the pic of the bolt face, it appears to have some 'gas cutting', caused by hot loads where gas escapes around the primer. This is not uncommon in a well used .17rem though will also detract some value.
If you wouldn't mind posting a couple of pics of the action with the bolt in and any barrel stampings.

Cheers

I see that it has the long striker shroud which is unique to Australia. I still wish we knew the genesis of that feature.

I see that it has the long striker shroud which is unique to Australia. I still wish we knew the genesis of that feature.

Stone, with the shorter striker shrouds - if the bolt is closed on a live round but without being cocked, does the rear end of the firing pin protrude? I read somewhere that a change was required for (I think) early Rem 700s, as one of the tests at the time that had to be passed was whether a blow by a hammer at the back of the bolt to cause the rifle to fire. Could this be a reason for the longer Sako bolt shrouds?

Marcus

Stone, with the shorter striker shrouds - if the bolt is closed on a live round but without being cocked, does the rear end of the firing pin protrude?

It's actually the cocking piece which is smaller. The shroud is the same size. Have a look at the photos Deersako put up in this thread.
http://www.sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/1960s-australian-sakos.8004/
When cocked the cocking piece is level with the back of the shroud. I'm sure your right Marcus that it was done to meet a safety regulation placed on them by customs when imported into Australia.

Thanks for the extra pics Cain.
As the others have eluded to, I was interested to see if it had the short cocking piece that was a unique feature to rifles of the era imported to Australia.
A modification to perhaps appease some sort of regulation at the time, later imports went back to standard length.
Your action also has a lightly stamped 'M' on it. This stamp, to my knowledge,
always accompanies the short cocking piece.
Perhaps it stands for 'Modified' ?
The Finnish word for modified/adapted is 'muokattu'.
Just an observation.

Back