• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako P72 22. Cal.

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hey guys, I recently got engaged and have no choice, but to part ways with my beloved P72. I'm clueless as to how to accomplish this feat though without losing my hat. The local gunsmith said to talk to Sako collectors to get a good idea on the interest of this model.

So, without stepping on toes, or breaking forum rules, does anyone have a good idea on the market for one.

Thank you all ahead of time!

Very collectable. If you have an early one with a lacquered stock, that is even more desirable in my opinion. Recently, forum members have strayed away from giving values. I understand all the viewpoints. If you want to sell it, the best way is to do it here, please do so using the Private Message function.......or place your rifle on one of the auction sites and let it run for a week or two. Start it at a penny $.01, you might be surprised as to what it sells for.

good luck !
DeerGoose

The day . . . I have to sell a gun, to come up with some cash, to spend on a women will never come.
The best time of the year to sell a gun is from Jan 1 to March 1.
The worst time of the year to sell a gun is from May 1 to Oct 1.
Post a photo of the beast and I will appraise it for you.
I just happen to have 3 P72's.

Last edited:
IMG_0934.JPG IMG_0933.JPG IMG_0935.JPG Thank you guys for the responses, I appreciate the wisdom.

Enotstehw, trust me parting ways with a great rifle is never easy, but I can't justify holding onto when I've got more important things on my plate. It truly has been an amazing rifle to own.

Johnny. . . nice photos of your beast. It has better than average wood. And it is the typical oil finish, with the Williams rear sight.

Value anywhere in the $800.00 and up range.

"The best time of the year to sell a gun is from Jan 1 to March 1.
The worst time of the year to sell a gun is from May 1 to Oct 1."

I have never noticed this and I have bought and sold a lot of guns (sold several relatively expensive rifles in the last couple of days). Do you have a theory about these dates?

My only P72:

1_2_41.JPG

Last edited:
Theory ???? how about experience. I have an FFL dealer license.
And I don't carry any new in the box factory guns. Now you are in Canada and I'm in the USA. The selling and buying patterns in Canada may and should differ to the buying and selling patterns in the USA.

So I would not try to adapt any buying and selling techniques that work in another country, with different laws, and different cultural customs.

Seasonal demand for "guns" varies not only with the location but with the type of firearm.

For the most part it is true that the Summer months are the slowest for all types of sporting firearms. Shotguns begin to pick up around the last two weeks of August in areas that open the dove season September 1. Hunting rifles take an upturn shortly after that and are usually in fairly good demand until Christmas. There is always a little flurry of demand right after Christmas, which probably reflects spending of Christmas gift money. Varmint and target rifles seem to increase in demand after the game hunting seasons are over (around the first of the year), then fall off sharply along with all other sporting arms when school lets out for the summer.

These are broad generalities and apply to much of the U.S., but as Sam Rayburn said of politics, everything is local.

Handgun and black rifle demand varies more with socio-political events and trends than with seasons.

March and April can be good months too, with the upcoming spring shooting seasons nationwide (turkeys and varmints), and the fact that Tax Refund checks are in and to be cashed, providing folding money that is burning up in the pockets of gun starved Americans !! love it.

DeerGoose

Apparently there is a lot of "theory."
Yes, but the theory is only as to the "why". The seasonal variation in demand is something that has been observed and the theory or theories (hypotheses, more accurately) are attempts to explain it.

By the way, I just got through reading the Sunday paper. Two large sporting goods chains had ad inserts in it -- Dick's and Academy. Neither had any guns, ammunition, or hunting clothes advertised. But in about three weeks both will be full of promotions for shotguns, shells, and camo. It doesn't take a marketing genius to know that the gun sales in each of these stores for June and July will be much smaller than for August and September.

Back