• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

A II full stock carbine with stainless steel barrel?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

BruceB

Here is a picture of my A II 7mm-08 full stock with a stainless barrel.
I've never seen another like it and I'm wondering what the history is of stainless barrels on Sako's. Particularly carbines.
I've only seen them on the newer models. This one is, I'm guessing, from around 1990-1991.

The barrel stamping indicates a factory barrel.

It's my go to rifle for hunting dense forests or brush. Handy to carry, very quick to shoulder and shoots great.

BB

upload_2017-11-23_18-35-42.jpeg

Cool carbine Bruce, and great caliber. It would be interesting to see the pedigree on this one. I've seen that rear sight on latter model AV's and newer models. So much better asethetics than the Williams rear sights, which make me think home gunsmithing everytime I see one.

Somewhere i read about the same thing. However, it was a high polished steel barrel, warrantee thing. So this too may not be stainless and a factory nonblued replacement.
Chris

Somewhere i read about the same thing. However, it was a high polished steel barrel, warrantee thing. So this too may not be stainless and a factory nonblued replacement.
Chris

I got out a magnet and it appears that Chris may be on target. Polished carbon, not stainless, steel as it will attract a magnet.
Never occured to me that it would be unblued carbon steel. Not a bit of corrosion which I'll work to keep that way.

So called "stainless" rifle barrels are made of tempered Martensitic stainless steel and are magnetic.
Also remember it is stain-less not stain-proof.
Beautiful Sako by the way.

So called "stainless" rifle barrels are made of tempered Martensitic stainless steel and are magnetic.
Not all of them. I have a Swedish-made Berglagsbossen two-shot pump shotgun which is all stainless and shows not a hint of magnetic attraction. However, rifle barrels, at least some of them, may be different.

At any rate, I suspect that the guess that it is carbon steel in-the-white is a good guess. It is far brighter than the finish on most stainless barrels, and while Sako did make some stainless barrels I've never seen one coupled with a blued action.

I have never seen a stainless Sako of any kind but I don't get around much either.
I do know at rifle pressures and shotgun pressures are as different as chalk and cheese.
Austenitic stainless is nonmagnetic and I assume, safe at shotgun pressures.
Austenitic stainless is too brittle for rifle pressures to the best of my limited knowledge though.
Very interesting discussion!
good link here...
http://www.matweb.com/search/datasheettext.aspx?matguid=30e7827a70ba4e05920d0e24fcb973c4

Last edited:
Not all of them. I have a Swedish-made Berglagsbossen two-shot pump shotgun which is all stainless and shows not a hint of magnetic attraction. However, rifle barrels, at least some of them, may be different.

At any rate, I suspect that the guess that it is carbon steel in-the-white is a good guess. It is far brighter than the finish on most stainless barrels, and while Sako did make some stainless barrels I've never seen one coupled with a blued action.

stone.
re the stainless barrel / blue action.
australia had a run of A1 h/b 17rem, all classic stocked.can never know how many brought down here by winchester aust, the australian agent at the time. know of several not including the sako collectors club memebers that have them.
as usual with sako, never say never.
must admit, have never tried a magnet.
susanna

magnetic.

Attachments

• sako A1 17rem stainless factory barrel 30-10-16 005.jpg
    sako A1 17rem stainless factory barrel 30-10-16 005.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 32
Susanna: Thanks for posting that photo and the info that, in Australia at least, such animal does exist.

"Never say 'never'" with Sako is the sagest advice one can give. That's why I always say "I've never seen one". I think I'll change my phrase when speaking of Sakos believed not to exist to "I haven't seen one, yet".

Latest posts

Back