• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sasqautch Found: there really was a .32-20

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
We were doing a Factory Records search for one of our members when we accidentally came across something very unexpected among the 59,000 serial numbers of the L46's and L469's: A serial number, 13315, which caliber is clearly marked ".32-20"! It appears that its inspection date is 29 May 1953 (but this could be 1952).

There is no corresponding record in the shipping records of any .32-20, which is why we thought no such thing existed and that the reports of someone seeing or knowing of a Sako in this caliber were thought to be the result of a rebarrel. However, we now know that there was at least one made, and it is possible that as time goes by and more research is done another may turn up among the 59,000 serial numbers.

You can see the page in the inspection records where this .32-20, serial number 13315, is recorded by clicking on the link below:

Attachments

• L-46 13314.pdf
    474.9 KB · Views: 56
WOW!!! Thanks for the news, Stone. My faith that there is a Big Foot has been bolstered!!! To make "one" barrel with a bore diameter that matches no other that they make is really baffling & would have required some "extra" work for sure. Plus the fact that there is no shipping record would lead me to speculate it was made for someone @ Sako with some influence. If there ever was a "Holy Grail" of Sako rifles this has to be it!!! Never say never about anything Sako!

Nice find! Any ideas what the codes/letters are after the calibre and what they addreviate? It’s not the usual ‘pt’ ‘kt’ etc

WOW!!! Thanks for the news, Stone. My faith that there is a Big Foot has been bolstered!!! To make "one" barrel with a bore diameter that matches no other that they make is really baffling & would have required some "extra" work for sure. Plus the fact that there is no shipping record would lead me to speculate it was made for someone @ Sako with some influence. If there ever was a "Holy Grail" of Sako rifles this has to be it!!! Never say never about anything Sako!
Barrels for 8.2x53R were in production (at least earlier if not at the time of producing this rifle) which would be very close in bore to the 32/20. Not sure exactly what the bore for each is off the top of my head though.

The groove diameters for .32-20 barrels typically run from .310" to .313". This variability is found in lots of pre-SAAMI cartridges. I have a revolver and a rifle (Rem Model 25) in this caliber and simply use regular .308" bullets (usually a 110 RN for the .30 Carbine), which seem to provide the same accuracy as .32 caliber handgun bullets.

Sako would have made plenty of barrels for the 7.62 x 53, which were usually .311", so I would think they would have had no difficulty in making a handful of barrels for the .32-20.

The groove diameters for .32-20 barrels typically run from .310" to .313". This variability is found in lots of pre-SAAMI cartridges. I have a revolver and a rifle (Rem Model 25) in this caliber and simply use regular .308" bullets (usually a 110 RN for the .30 Carbine), which seem to provide the same accuracy as .32 caliber handgun bullets.

Sako would have made plenty of barrels for the 7.62 x 53, which were usually .311", so I would think they would have had no difficulty in making a handful of barrels for the .32-20.
I forgot about their military barrels & the 7.62x53R bore being a prefect match. Would be interesting to see what other calibers were made on the same day, but it doesn't appear the records were kept in a manner to allow that without an extremely tedious & time consuming search.

Ah yes, I forgot that the 7.62x53 is bored larger than its name indicates and the 32/20 smaller.
I am sure there would have been a supply of those barrels in stock at any time during that era. I suppose it would have simply involved machining the outside barrel dimensions to L46 Spec. The chamber reamer would have been the only "non standard" item.

Back