• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Forester L579 Deluxe .243

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Banned
Hey guys & gals,

Came across a Sako L579 Forester Deluxe in .243 bought new in Europe in 1970. It's in like new condition, a couple very minor nicks. It has the lighter stock with rosewood forend, engraving on floorplate and trigger guard with the Sako emblem embossed on the butt of the pistol grip. No evidence of being shot much (0 muzzle wear- bore excellent). Also comes with original peep sight and sako rings. What is a fair price to offer the gentleman? Thanks.

Mark

"with the Sako emblem embossed on the butt of the pistol grip"

This is something that I've never seen. The Deluxe Foresters usually had a stylistic tree inlaid in the grip cap, while the Vixens had a fox head and the Finnbears had a bear head. If I'm not mistaken, the current Model 75 has a Sako logo on the pistol grip cap. Could there be some "interbreeding" here? Also, a gun of this vintage should have fixed sling swivels rather than studs for detachable swivels. Sometimes the fixed ones are replaced, but if studs are original to the gun, then it is a later model than represented. The barrel will LIKELY be labeled "Bofors Steel", but not all pre-72's were so labeled.

At any rate, assuming it is original and pre-72 as you indicate, it should be worth somewhere between $700 and $1000 in a private sale. I recently paid $825 for a Deluxe Finnbear of similar vintage to a seller who was well-versed in Sakos, and both of us were happy. The peep sight and rings add about $100 or so to the price of a bare gun. You will often find similar guns priced much higher on the auction sites, but they don't sell, so their price means nothing.

You're correct, it is a stylistic tree (kind of looks like a 3 leaf clover) on on the butt of the pistol grip. The stock is light walnut with original fixed swivels. The rifle also has the rubber recoil grip in lieu of the hard pad. I'm thinking of offering $875.00 for the rifle, sites, rings and bases. I'm originally from Michigan but down here in Georgia, this is mainly Remingon, Winchester, Browning country....not too many people looking for Sakos. I do appreciate the reply!

Thanks

The rifle in 98% condition with the peep and vintage rings is worth 11-1200 dollars. Hope this helps. regards, Rick.

Back