• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Finnbear L61R

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

scudbait

I recently purchased a Sako Rifle Model L61R No. 55822. in 30-06 Caliber. Could you please tell me the date of manufacture and approximate worth of the rifle.

Additionally, can modern factory ammunition be fired in this rifle ? If so what type (Rem, Win, Federal, etc), what bullet weight and type (nosler, balistic tip, light magnum etc.)

I would appreciate any information of history on this model of rifle.

Thanks

I love L61R Finnbears. You got a good one, it may be a "standard sporter" with plain wood or the "deluxe sporter" with fancy engraving on the floorplate, rosewood caps and high polished blueing ????. Your gun was made in about 1971 or so. It may be marked "Firearms International" on the underside of the barrel at the forestock. It should have the third locking lug on bolt near the bolt handle. Your gun was one of the guns that Sako earned their reputation on and should be a "pre-Garcia" or pre-'72" model.

I have a couple of these .30-06s both of them love Remington factory 165gr softpoints. I can get about 1-1/2" groups with this ammo, which ain't too bad for old hunting rifles. Have fun shooting your Sako.

DeerGoose

I'm sorry, but I made a mistake on the SN which should be 55852 and not 55822. Would that make any differance? Additionallly, the rifle does have a 3rd locking rear lug, but is not marked firearms international. It does have 2 strange looking markings on the action and the top of the barrel near the caliber markings. One looks like some sort of head with a crown on it and the other looks like a lighting bolt or a script mv.

Thanks for the information

those are Finnish proof marks, although I'm not sure if they were done at the Sako factory in Riihimaki or in some Finnish proof house somewhere else (???). Sounds as if you have a .30-06 standard sporter, pre-Garcia, with pre-'72 three locking lug L61R action (the best). Have fun with it.

DeerGoose

What does Bofor mean on the side of a Sako rifle barrel. My Finnbear 30-06 is not marked Bofor. Does that make any difference in the collect ability of the rifle? Is the L61R still manufactured, if not, when was it discontinued. Whay is meant by pre-Garcia and of what is its signifigance. What are the differences between the L61R and the currently manufactured Sako rifles?

I've hunted with a Sako .30-06 for 25 years and shot elk, musk ox, antelope, etc. I settled on one load for everything and have no complaints about results, especially with our Rocky Mt. elk here in Oregon. A 180 grain Nosler partition spire point bullet in any factory load will work with one shot kills. I personally use Federal safari grade factory ammo for hunts outside the USA for reliability and not wanting to disturb the sensibilities of any customs official with handloads.

Good luck!

I bought a Sako L61R for myself as a Christmas present, last year. It's a standard grade "pre-Garcia" in the low 28,000 serial # range. Those poor ignorant Finn gunmakers didn't even realize that skinny barreled sporters, in outdated calibers--like .30-06--aren't supposed to be accurate. The thing shoots like a laser cannon! She doesn't turn up her nose at cheap ammo, either.

Maybe I just got really lucky but this rifle is gonna be in the box with me when they put me under the ground.

Hi guys I hope you can help me . A friend of mine just saw a Finnbear and was checking it out for me He said it was in great shape and relayed to me the serial # 563xx. I asked him if the # on the bolt matched and he said the bolt was un numbered. Am I wrong in assuming that the bolt #should match the rifle# ? My other sakos match and could someone tell me the approximate date it was manufactured . I would appreciate any input on this matter, Thanks in advance Joe

JoJo- This is not a perfect world and as we all well know, Sako was not exempted from minor imperfections. Some of the bolts missed being numbered and some are replacements. Hard to know without being the original owner. It is also hard to tell the date of birth without a cartridge being known as the numbers are cal. sensitive.(somewhere in the 1970 to 1972 range) -Misako

Misako Thank You for your input. The rifle is a 3006 and is said to be in 95% finish both stock and bluing. I believe I`m gonna get to see her this afternoon and I didnt want to go in knowing that the bolt was not original. You put my mind at ease telling me it could have come from the factory that way. I guess i`ll have to see the condition of the rifle and how the bolt slides before I pull the trigger(no pun intended) I`ll let you know how I make out Thank You Very Much Joe

JoJo- I have yet to see a Sako that didn't headspace safely. Most of them have "tight" chambers. But just in case it is not the original bolt, have a headspace check run on it. Looks like that rifle was probably built near Sept. of 71. Engraving "pens" are easy to use, so if someone didn't want you to know it was unmarked, could do it themselves.---------Misako

Misako Just looked at the rifle Turns out to be what looks like a deluxe that is is pretty fair shape, I wouldn`t call it 95% it had some dings in the wood and some scratches in the blueing also the bolt seemed to be original but the on the back end of the bolt where the screw is, it was all rough and the screw wasnt seated all the way in . I just looked at my L579 and the screw on it was seated nicely and it was smooth. I think the search continues but it was nice thinking what might have been for a while. Once again I Thank You for your input. Joe

Many of us have been guilty of messing with that screw before loosening the tiny one on the bottom of the cocking indicator. Best way I know of to adjust the firing pin and ruin it at the same time.
t.gif
That is more than likely what happened to the rifle you looked at.-Misako

Misako Many thanks for sharing your knowledge with me. This may sound like a silly question but could I find a replacement screw for that or is that part obsolete? If I could replace that I might consider buying that rifle. What do you think ? Jojo

JoJo- That "screw" is the back of the firing pin. A bit more pricey than what the "little" screw is. I haven't checked the Numrich site to see what they have available. I have bought firing pins twice on ebay and GB and found them to be defective due to stripped threads. Numrich would be a good place to buy due to their customer service program.-Misako

Misako and Tlsans Thank You very much I just spoke to the gentleman about the rifle . Now I have to decide if I want to take the chance on getting that bolt fixed. Have either of you or anyone else run into that problem and fixed it pretty easily? I sure would hate to buy it and then not be able to repair it Thank You Again JoJo

If all it is is cosmetics then buy it as a shooter. If you are fortunate enough to come across a better looking firing pin then you can have it replaced. I quit doing that type of work for anyone but me. I had one that took off past my head and stuck in a concrete wall in my shop. Bought that one on Ebay. I should have known better but I trusted the seller. He wasn't aware that they could do that. As soon as I got hold of a good pin with good threads, it was easy to fix.-Misako

Back