• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

What About Bofors Barrels?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Scott- That barrel may have been made and stamped in late 1967 and set in a bin to be used as needed. It could very easily not been used first ahead of the non-marked bofors barrels. I have or have had L579s in deluxe and standard forester that have serial numbers as early as 102XX, 106XX and 108XX and some of the factory data that has been collected would put those in a 1959 production run. Those are 2 .308s and 1 .243. I bought one of the .308s in Febr. or March of 1960. I don't remember the date or day but I remember the night was cold in the teens and it was snowing lightly. My brother let me drive because I just had a learners permit.(under 16 yrs. old).

Hello All,
My question has not been answered. That question is "When was the Sako cut-rifled and lapp-finished barrel rifleing method stopped in favour of the hammer-forged method of rifleing their barrels?"
Regards Blackjack AKA Mike {The Limey}

Hello All,
Just to say that Brno used "Poldi" steel in their action & barrel making during the 1940's 50's & 60's. Some rifles have "Poldi" stamped on them, others do not. My 1958 .270 Win Brno ZG 47 & 1949 .22 "Hornet" ZKW 465 do not have "Poldi" stamped on them, and yet my friend's 1950's Brno's do! What is going on! BOFORS & POLDI any comments.

blackjack,
Sorry if there is some confusion on what you are looking for. Have you ever tried writing to Sako and asking for precise answers. A lot of the things you ask are/and have been in speculation for a long time and we get bits and pieces coming from good ,but non-certified sources. So, may be best to try the original culprits - Sako, or Bofors. As you are in the UK, yoiu may be able to find the documentation regarding the 1967 Lawsuit by Bofors which could reveal more than we know. I have looked, but not able to get specific details.
Regards,
S-A

Hi guys,

Sako was a purely Finnish company and when the production quality of the Finnish steel industry

(Outokumpu) had become at least as good or better as the one in Sweden, there was no reason to

continue using Swedish steel.

SS

Hello S.A.,
Thanks for all of your imput regarding "Bofors". Can you give me the author & availability for the book SAKO 1921-1971. Is the book available in English?

Hey all,
I have a 1974-75 Garcia Hunting Annual, and in the section advertising Sako rifles it reads, "The barrels are made of a specially forged alloy Chrome-Molybdenum Bofors steel, imported from Sweeden".
Will

Will,
I don't really believe that to be a fact. They surely couldn't be "Bofors Steel" stamped after 1968. Even though the myth of Bofors steel lingered, what I have read and discussed with the factory is that Sako had it's own source for steel. Importing from Sweden would have driven the cost up. So, that myth remains.
As far as the chrome molly in 74-75, what models were those claims made for? I would only believe that the TIKKA, and TRG as well as other tactical weapons manufactured by Sako/TIKKA may have been the models that started with chrome-molly.
Thanks for sharing that information. Very interesting. Nothing would surprise me, however.
Happy New Year,
S-A

SA- It was a known fact that Bofors barrel steel was used well into the 70s by Sako. What McGriff is telling you is true. sserlachius also reinforces the news that Finland used their steel when it was proven to be adequate in supply and quality. It took a few years to get it there. I had a conversation with two of the older members of the old club and they had first hand information that this is indeed true.-Misako

Misako,
I know what you are saying; and Will; and SS. I am referring to the stamping as such in 74-75. Does the ad say they were stamped Bofors, or does anyone have one so stamped? Anyone have that era Sako with a chrome molly barrel? I'm just asking.
Will has something in print - I'm looking to verify this with empirical data, not conversations. This goes for the chrome-molly issue as well. I'm just asking what specific models the article /ad refers to?
If the Hunting Annual says that, what rifles are they talking about that sport these features?
That's all. I don't doubt what it says. I know Will can read and I'm not saying he's making it all up.
This is not about here-say or anyone's integrity.
Thanks,
S-A

Hope it didn't sound like a "personal thing". It wasn't meant to be. As far as the stamping goes, Tikka was the only "bunch" that paid for the right to stamp them. There shouldn't have been any barrels stamped with the bofors mark after 1968. I do think Sako was allowed to use up the existing stock after the judgement was handed down or agreed to.-Misako

misako,
First, no. Just wanted to be clear. That makes perfect sense on using up the stock, and I doubt the barrels after the law suit were stamped Bofors - for the most part. We know the factory back then! So, an ad in a Hunting Annual in later years should have rightfully not mentioned Bofors?
Will - if you have a scanner, could you scan that ad and let us take a look at it just for sh**ts and grins? Might be nice to see a piece of that nostalgia.
Thanks,
S-A

Hey all,
Did not say they were stamped "Bofors Steel" and they are not. The stamping was the lawsuit, not the use of the steel. I do have a scanner and will attempt to post.
Will

Hey all,
photo's are easier than the scanner. Here ya go.
Will

Attachments

• IMG_1644.JPG
    IMG_1644.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1645.JPG
    IMG_1645.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1646.JPG
    IMG_1646.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1649.JPG
    IMG_1649.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 54
Hey Northernlights,
Thanks! The un-stamped "Bofors Steel" barrels from 1968 and on, to include the Model 72's and 74's get a bad rap from the uninformed/uneducated who think they were made out of pot metal. For the aforementioned, keep paying your premium for the "Bofors Steel" stamp on the barrel. That's right up there with the "Pre-Garcia" guys.
Will

Will,
Good job! This should quell rumor and initiate confidence for those who wonder if Sako used different sources for their steel after the 1968 lawsuit. It also gives insight into the use of chrome-molly in the barrel steel itself, and not just chrome molly lined barrels, which I think was a process developed much later.
If this came from a non-Garcia publication, some could still be skeptical. Looks good to me.
Garcia, having the import rights at the time, should know, right?
Thanks,
S-A

I've been wondering about the barrel on the Garcia L579 22-250. The polishing and bluing aren't quite as good as the FI rifles but the accuracy is right there. I miss the nylon cap on the pistol grip, too, but the feel of the rifle is still Sako.
As far as the accuracy of the newer heavier barrels compared to the older lighter barrels marked with the Bofors stamp goes I'm having trouble telling the difference. My old L579 Forester 22-250, one of the first ones made, was one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned.

Latest posts

Back