photo unnamed_zpsad4c74d3.gif
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6,5-223Rem - 6,5 TCU and 6-223Rem -6mm TCU

6,5-223Rem - 6,5 TCU and 6-223Rem -6mm TCU

Does any of you have any experience with above mentioned calibers?

Kjeldsen

I'm about to barrel an L-46 to 6x45, which is a 6-223 Rem. everything I've read says it approaches 6 PPC accuracy and has significantly improved oomph over the 223 at long range. (Oomph, for the uninitiated, means added long-range energy and improved ballistics.)
    Steve Diehl, Sr

sbdjld8351: You might want to hold off on barreling a L46 to a cartridge that has an overall length greater than the action was designed to handle. A 223 Rem won't work so, I assume a 6mm-233 is the same length or longer depending on the bullet you use. It will work in the single shot mode, but the magazine feed & ejection will not function properly. The L461, A1, or the newer 85 action will work for this conversion as they are designed to handle the slightly longer cartridge. A L469 made to handle the 222 Rem Mag would also work.
    The 6mm-223 has been around since 1965 as a wildcat & did have some following in the benchrest world for awhile. More recently it is gaining favor in the "Black Rifle" world as it is an easy conversion (changing out the barrel only) for the AR-15 type rifles. This makes the gun legal to use in states that require .243 cal & above to hunt deer, etc. It works great on the smallish deer in Texas & much of the south, but I would consider it marginal for the 250+ lb deer that roam in my backyard. Shots on animals should be no more than 200 yards. Heard that Black Hills Ammo was or is making it in bulk for the AR crowd. Yes, it does have more Oomph. The heavier bullet with higher sectional density & ballistic coefficient make you wonder why it wasn't chosen over the worthlesss (for combat) 5.56 they force our troops to fight with.
    Hawkeye Bottoms- Iowa, USA

I want to thank you for your advice. I have changed my mind and will convert my 222 L-461 to 6x45. I'm not that taken with its performance with its present barrel, and magazine length may be adequate for the 6x45. Also, it already has a Sako heavy barrel target/varmint stock. I know it's a shame that this rifle was hacked, but I bought it this way years ago. At least whoever built it up added a Canjar single-set trigger and a Shilen Select Match Grade barrel, so it is really a quality job.
    After messing with varmint rifles for 50 years, I like to think I know what I'm doing, but I have to admit that everything works better if I make my 461 a 6x45 and leave my L-46 a 222 or switch it to a 221 Fireball. (I do think I'll cut and rethread and rechamber the L-461s 222 barrel to fit my L-46; it's barrel may have lost its gilt-edged accuracy to a little throat erosion. I just can't seem to get much under 1/2-3/4" out of it.)
    Steve Diehl, Sr

sbdjld8351: Just converted a L46 to 221 Fireball. Pics & info on the "barrel break in" post. If you are going to rebarrel your L46 anyway, I would highly recommend that caliber. It is nothing more than a 222 Rem shortened by .25" & with 40 gr. bullets you will get 3300 to 3500 fps depending on the barrel length. Less report, less heat, less fouling & more fun. If your barrel is already chambered for 222 Rem it's a real easy conversion.
    Hawkeye Bottoms- Iowa, USA

I have a model 461 rebarreled to a 6x45 by the previous owner. It shoots and feeds great. My only complaint is since the 6x45 is exactly the 223 case necked up to .243 is that it is very difficult to differentiate from a 223 cartrige tha fits in my Sako AI.

I am going to rebarrel my 4x45 to 6 TCU. The 6 TCU has less body taper and a 45 degree shoulder that will easier to sort brass after a day shooting gophers.

I can't comment on the 6TCU but I can tell you that a 7TCU doesn't feed worth a darn in a bolt gun with a staggered mag. When you take that taper out of the case and increase shoulder angle all bets are off, just like the Ackley versions. The reason your 6x45 feeds great is because of that sloping sidewall and shallow shoulder angle of the 223. Not sure how much you shoot your 6x45, you might think about just changing to a nickel case, I had a friend that did that with a case he was concerned about mixing with his 223 stuff.
    USA, North Texas

Nothing like being surrounded by the truth and still looking for the answer. Thanks, CMJR. You just solved my .308 and .7-08 ID problem.-Misako
    Cental USA

Hey Paulson-
    Ever hear of anyone sticking a 6mm bullet in a 221FB case?
    Bill
    Central Texas
    USA

I use the nickel/brass solution to keep cases separated for calibers of which I have more than one gun. I've gone that direction with my .22 Hornets, and my .222's. The problem with my .222's is that I've accumulated too many of them, so now I'm segregating brass by not only nickel and plain, but by brand headstamp. But now I have a new problem: I've acquired two sweet-shooting .221 FB's and I don't want to let either of them go. .221 brass is only made by R-P and only in plain, unplated cases. I'm having a devil of a time keeping brass straight for these two guns.
    Texas Hill Country

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast