• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Finnwolf VL63 finnwolf vl63 scope base info

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

adirondacks

Greetings members,
I just joined the club, Adirondacks is my name and also where I hunt. I love sako rifles and have several pre garcia 222's, 243's and 308's, deluxe, standard and mannlicher models. I've been wanting a finnwolf for some time and purchased one through guns america last week. The gun was as stated in the ad, 99% blue , 95% wood, with sako low rings and bases. $1050.00 was the asking price which I paid. I got the gun through my local ffl, took it home to admire etc. I took the rings off, and the scope bases and discovered 3 holes for the rear scope base. My heart sunk. I called the seller back, he told me basically too bad and that he got the gun from his father who bought it new and that is the way it came from sako back in 1968. The gun is a firearms int. import, four shot mag, Ser # 51xx, beautiful except for the extra hole. Am I mistaken and sako did put and extra third hole in the rear scope base ? Please let me know, I am still surprised by the sellers lack of integrity and dishonesty.

adirondacks,welcome to the club. The rear base of a finnwolf has two holes for the screws that attach it to the receiver.Then there is a "notch" at the very rear of the base . That is for the rear scope mount to fit into(the rear scope ring has a stub on the bottom that fits into this notch). That is there so the scope does not move forward under recoil. I'm not able to post pictures at this time, but I'm sure someone will post a picture of a rear base for you.

adirondacks-Welcome to the Sako forums and congratulations on the "New" finnwolf. I may not be able to make you feel better about the third hole but suffice to say it will not make a bit of difference in looks or performance. True Sako mounts are exceptionally hard to come by for them and I am sure some left the retail outlets with no factory bases. Winchester 88s and 100s also utilized them so that was another drain on the availability. There is a redfield mount that works with that third hole system you have. It is a onepiece mount that works with the windage adjustable/turn in rings that many of the scope ring folks sell. I believe I saw that rifle on GA and it may have had Sako bases on it at the time? I have seen just as many Finnwolfs with that third hole in the rear mount area as I have seen with just 2, so you are not alone. As to his honesty and integrity, who's to say with Sako's. They may very well have come from the factory or the retailer/distributor that way. Also let me say this. I was not the seller nor do I know them. In the event those reading this haven't seen this much, I can only add that this is my experience with what I have seen. I am not trying to be controversial or argumentative.-Misako

Hello Adirondacks and Welcome to the Forum, sorry to hear of your findings. I have had similar results with web purchases, and I guess the bottom line is we just have to pick up what we are given and make the best of it.Sometimes it works out for the good! Watch for Misako here on this forum, He's a Finnwolf guy and will no doubt chime in soon.....and he already has!! haha -Bloo
PS...for best results, go to "edit profile", then to the box labeled "signature" and highlight it, In that box list your Location (it can be general)...this will open up all the Forums potential! Don't use the "location" box , even tho' it looks like the one to use...its not, don't know why

misako 50,
Thanks for your reply. So you do think that the third hole may be factory? I closely inspected the offending hole and it looks the same as the other two, with blueing in it etc. I don't think I got too hurt on it, but I probably wouldn't have bought it with knowledge of the third hole. $1050.00 with original sako low rings and original sako bases is a little high. The seller was just so unwilling to even discuss any return or three day inspection or compromise. I've never seen a finnwolf with three rear base holes, I've only ever handled 5 or 10 Finnwolfs though. I used to work at a gun store when I was going to college that had several thousand guns in stock ( 1986 ). we used to have 50 or 60 sako's on hand. Wish I could go back in time a get those again. We used to sell VL63s for 350-400 dollars. Do you have pics of receivers with the three holes ? Also, do you have pics of 4 shot clips and do you know where to get extra mag's ?
Thanks
Adirondacks

Adirondacks- I don't think the price was too high. I think that I would also prefer to have the two holes and not worry about the value so much. I have to repeat the fact that I have seen a fair number like that and feel like I know why. As far as factory- someone else will have to answer that question. I have only purchased two rifles on GA in all the years. I prefer some sort of feedback system (other than ebay) where I can guage the sellers and buyers, somewhat. I can't help you with the pictures as I don't keep pictures of other peoples' rifles in my files very long or they are covered by Sako or other vintage mounts. 4 rnd. mags aren't any easier to find than the 3 rnd. When you find them they are normally on Gunbroker.com-It is not "legal" to put them on ebay.---Misako

Misako,
Thanks for the pic. Looks like same pattern as the one I recieved. Does the redfield one piece winch 88/100 base line up with the middle hole ? Maybe that is why people are drilling the hole in that spot.
I'm trying not to fixate about the extra hole.
Best
Adk's

Adk's- Feel free to fixate, perseverate whine or bitch. I do, when poop happens to me:cry3:-Mike

Adi...If it was me,I would put the Sako bases back on, use Sako rings and my favorite scope, bore sight it, take it to the range, zero it and then love it squeeze it, clean it ,cuddle with it on the couch and wipe it off, put in the safe until it was time to do it again! It will be a wonderful rifle regardless of what may be hidden away from sight. I hope you enjoy your Finnwolf-Bloo

The VL63 (Finnwolf) came out in 1963, so I would say they should have been Bofors marked up to the time Sako stopped marking all rifles....The Finnmonkey is very rare , they only made one, it has all the attributes of the Deluxe's but the gripcap has an inlay of G.W.Bush...I paid way to much for it but I will let you have it for less!-Bloo

Adirondacks,
Welcome to the Sako Forum! I hope you'll share your rifles Sako hunting stories with us, and, of course, pictures of your Sakos!
You did very well with your recent Finnwolf purchase in that condition....Congratulations! Enjoy it...they are beautiful lever action rifles...and please post a range report when you have one.
What caliber is your Finnwolf? I don't think you mentioned that.

Woodman: Yes, there are Bofors marked Finnwolfs.

Back