• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

My poor L461 stock!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

nedlate

Hi! I thought I had better post something instead of just being a lurker! Here are some pictures of a Sako I bought a couple of years ago. One look at the stock and I really wasn't interested in buying the gun but the seller was insistent :smile1:

I would like to buy a good used stock but am not sure which ones will work?

Thanks

Ed

Interesting trap door buttplate, and nice color and figure in the wood. The stockmaker's interpretation of the pistol grip is somewhat clunky, and a stock with this quality wood deserves a nice checkering job. I'd consider having an artful stockmaker reinterpret and checker this stock which might result in having an exceedingly nice custom job.

Any stock for a sporter barrel L461 or A-I Sako will fit as a replacement.

Nedlate...I will agree with Stone on the quality of the wood on your L461, It has very nice contrast and figuring, could be well worth having it (the stock) worked on or trimmed up a bit. Top that off with a nice checking job and I think you'd be very pleased and even more "interested" in your Sweet Lil' Vixen!-Bloo

I agree the wood is real nice. I think I'll check around and see if anyone here can do that kind of stock work. Thanks for the comments!

Ed

i was expecting some ugly chopped up piece of 2x4, lots of potential there, check around warsaw mo, most of the fajen /bishop stock people are still there.

nedlate:
Wood is gorgeous! Would probably cost you less to dress it up with reshaping to your liking & checkering than to get another stock. If you want to sell it give me a call.

I'll join the crowd. The figure in that piece of wood is nice. For what a used replacement stock would cost, you could get a nice custom checkering job and be the envy of the forum. I'm with Paulsconstruction, if you want to get rid of that ole 2X4 for cheap, get in touch!

Thanks for all the replies! I know it really is a nice figured stock, I hadn't thought about having a stock maker going over it. I did have in mind to try to do something myself, but I think your ideas are better. Now I have to get my ambition up and call a guy that does stocks up the river. I have only had the rifle out once with some factory 2nds for ammo so I am not sure how it will shoot. I do have dies, bullets, primers so I need to start loading some ammo for it.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Ed

Ed --
I'm a stockmaker with 50 years of experience, and your wood is superb. I'm not soliciting work, just offering input. Your grip may be somewhat thick, and moving the nose of your comb back and corresponding reshaping of the grip and cheekpiece may remedy most of your grip issues. Also, your cheekpiece is awfully large and meets the butt too abruptly. Reshaping so they flow together would trim it just right and complete the tweaking. You may want to remove the excess wood along your toeline, too. When you do, the wood will flow into the grip and the notches behind the grip will go away. The wood is breathtaking and well worth reworking. Also, the suggestions about checkering are spot-on. It just finishes the rifle. You have the makings of a truly spectacular stock on about as great a rifle as was ever made. I've owned them all, and if it isn't a pre-64 Model 70 or 54 or a Sako or a Mannlicher Schoenauer, its pretty much an also-ran. A nice Mauser ain't too bad either, which makes sense, because the 98 Mauser is the grandaddy of the Springfield, Model 70, and mini-Mauser Sako.

Hi!
Well I finally took my gun to a stock maker! I am a little apprehensive because I am not experienced in what I wanted done, so I let him tell me what he thought needed done. I have seen his stock work before and they look pretty nice. I still am not sure about the checkering he suggested but I went with his judgement. The place is a couple of hundred miles away so I won't get back for a couple of months. I'll post pictures when it is done! Cross my fingers!!
Ed

I think you made a good move. As Steve Diehl suggested, there are some fairly simple and subtle alterations a good stock man can perform that will make your stock into a showpiece. Be sure to post photos of the results when the polls close and the ballots are all counted.

Stonecreek-I am not sure the changes he made were subtle! The wood looked great under the finish that was on it. Reshaped the cheek piece, grip area, added a grip cap! Thinned down the forearm. It was pretty square. I am excited and it will give me a good excuse to take another trip! I just wasn't sure how I wanted the checkering to be and he suggested something he considered standard. Also the price of checkering shot up with anything else. Does anyone have any pictures of simple checkering yet fine looking?
Thanks
Ed

nedlate- I will show you these as they were done on Sakos that are custom but the stocks were duplicated.-Misako

I will try these. They were duplicates of the Sako profiles for the Finnwolf. Each had a different checkerer and the lines per inch differs.-Misako

Mikaso50-Those are some nice looking stocks you have! Thanks for the pictures, the type of checkering the stockmaker was going to do is similar. The bottom of the forend has been rounded a little more than yours. The cheekpiece is a little smaller especially from top to bottom. I dropped it off, he said a couple of months before he could get to it. I stopped by the day after on the way home and he said he had been feeling artistic! And it was ready for sanding!
Thanks
Ed

Hey there! Well I just picked up my Vixen with the stock reshaped, refinished, and checkered! No pictures until I get home Monday. I was a bit apprehensive with how it would turn out. I'll just say I am very pleased!!
Thank you all for the encouragement, pictures soon!
Ed

Hi!
Here are the pictures of my stock after reshaping. We had decided to use the butt plate that was on the stock and now in hindsight!:redface: I can see the only flaw. The wood on the butt did not have as much removed affecting the line and some of the old color remained. Maybe a smaller butt plate! Oh well!! It is not so apparent in person. I am a happy camper! The butt plate, floor plate, and screws were reblued. A grip cap was added.
Ed

vixen222010.jpg

vixen222003.jpg

vixen222046.jpg

vixen222030.jpg

vixen222008.jpg

vixen222007.jpg

That is a much, much nicer stock than when it started out. Congratulations on dressing Cinderella in her ball gown!

That turned out just great. As nice a custom as a guy could want and tastefully understated too.-Misako

Back