photo unnamed_zpsad4c74d3.gif
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L461/A1 PPC Bolt Body

L461/A1 PPC Bolt Body

Can anyone tell what might have caused the large black ring on the bolt face shown in the picture on this GB listing. The seller says it's new and he hasn't a clue what it is. You will note that the circle is much larger than the carbon rings that are primer pocket sized. I am considering bidding on this listing so as to have a spare part on hand for my PPC.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=233452320

Bill
    Central Texas
    USA

Bill,
    Probably got that way during machining. I don't think it's an issue I would worry about. If it was for an L46 .222 I'd buy it.
    S-A
    USA
    Bolt Actions Speak Louder Than Words ------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks S-A, that was my best guess, but a couple of other issues still bother me. The bolt knob has a checkered ring around it. I have L461/A1 6PPC's in sporter, benchrest, and varmint configuration, and none have that feature. And there is no serial number engraved on the bottom of the bolt handle. I could be wrong, but I think it's possible that the bolt came off of a custom PPC where the standard L461/A1 boltface was opened up to accommodate the PPC case. Even if true, I realize all that may not amount to a hill of beans functionally. But the risk is more than I'm comfortable with since there is no inspection allowed.
    Bill
    Central Texas
    USA

I would say it's a L461 222 bolt that someone has opened up to fit the PPC case rim.
    USA, North Texas

cmjr-
    What's your take on the black ring on the bolt face?
    Bill
    Central Texas
    USA

Bill,

Like Chuck said.......223 boltface opened to PPC.

Wasn't a similar bolt on this site a while back??

My concern is if the extractor cut(for a factory 223 casehead) would be too deep for a PPC casehead........i.e. would put undue side pressure on the PPC case rim.

Also note that there's no guide rod/C-ring.

Hope this helps.

Kevin
    Kevin

The Republic Of Texas

Thanks for the input Kevin. I hadn't thought of the extractor issue. And I'm sure trying to find all the missing parts would be problematic if the parts weren't available from one of my bolts.
    Bill
    Central Texas
    USA

Bill, I'm thinking that's it's a scuff from a cutting tool head. As you mentioned it's not from a primer and it looks to be approx where the face would have to be milled out. I think that it only looks black because of the lighting and camera pic. Just a WAG.
    USA, North Texas

Thanks cmjr-
    Not being a machinist, I wasn't sure what would cause such a ring on the bolt face. My EWAG was it might be from insufficient lubrication during milling . The seller did confirm that the ring is there.
    Bill
    Central Texas
    USA

Bill,

I'm also wondering if the machining of the extractor cut is "factory" or not. A picture of the side of the bolt, at the extractor cut, would be very helpful.....no......necessary.

The bolt could be old enough to have originally used the long/thin extractor.......I'm just sayin'.......

Looks like I might take a look at a few bolts, over the weekend.........and a few magazine boxes, concerning Stone's investigation.

Kevin
    Kevin

The Republic Of Texas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast