• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako .223 Vixen Deluxe

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

"Condition is everything", but caliber also makes a difference. As does vintage.

The .222 Magnum is very scarce in the Deluxe, so it tends to bring several hundred dollars premium over a .222. The .223 is very scarce in a pre-Garcia, and I'm not even sure it was ever produced in the Deluxe version. And naturally, pre-Garcia Deluxes typically bring more than Garcias and Stoegers.

Then there's the wood. Most buyers are attracted to Deluxes by nice wood. Some Deluxes have rather plain wood, escpecially in the early ones. Plain Janes won't bring nearly as much or sell nearly as quickly as those with highly figured wood.

Condition is much more important in a Deluxe than in a standard. After all, what's the point in owning a high grade gun if it is beat to a pulp? Even "honest" hunting wear devalues a Deluxe faster than a standard.

Deluxe Vixens that are in "good" shape typically trade around $1,000, depending on your definition of "good" (some people call a gun which is otherwise safe to fire "good"). A rare caliber in pristine condition could bring twice that. But dollar values are subject to a lot of variables, so don't take this as gospel.

I continue to watch this site with great interest ... such well informed contributors with such interesting things to point out. I have joined the ranks of Sako owners with an old L579, as reported elsewhere on this site. Next on the list is an L46 or L461 in either .222 or .223. Is one of these calibers more desirable than the other? For some reason I gravitate to the old .222 but not sure why.
cat9

1 or 2 of each is nice, in the L46 you cant get a .223 but in the L461 you will have the option.

Hi All
Here are my A1 models, .222 & .223. Both are new w/boxes & papers, I have not fired either yet but soon I will scope the .222 for my son & get him started with the Sako bug. I am leaning toward the Leupold VX3, 3.5-14x40. Why does one have a tree & the other have a leaf pattern? Scope Suggestions? I only have sets of Sako original high mounts & it seems that the side knob on the mount touches the bolt knob handle knob when lifted up to eject a round so I may put the Leupold mounts on these two rifles to avoid that issue. I think the Leupold mounts are solid & well made.
Regards, Gregg

As Stonecreek mentioned, 1st 222Mag, 2nd 223, and third the 222. That's really based on the amount of them that were manufactured and goes to their difficulty to obtain. You could also throw in the 17Rem in between the 222mag and 223 once you get into the later years of the L461-A1 run.

Cat9: There's little practical difference in the ballistics of the .222 and .223 when handloaded to the same pressures. Most people regard the .222 as being slightly favored for razor's edge accuracy, but many .223's shoot equally well. Ammunition is more common and cheaper for the .223 if that is of any influence. Bottom line is you can't go wrong with either.

While there were very few .223's made in the pre-Garcia era guns, just the opposite is true of later Sakos. Fewer and fewer .222's were made and more and more .223's. Thus, the "scarcity" premium in later model guns switches to the .222. They dropped the .222 Magnum back in the 1970's, so those are rather scarce.

2Greggs: Don't you just love the way Sako throws you a curve every now and then? The difference in bottom metal engraving on rifles of virtually the same age is always interesting. I have several Deluxes with no engraving at all on the trigger guard, although that is the exception rather than the rule.

Re pre-Garcia, are all L46s pre-Garcia? Are pre-Garcias in these short actions marked with the 'Bofors Steel' designation on the barrel? Thanks.
I figure from combining the info from Stonecreek and woodman that the pre-Garcia demarkation must have fallen sometime early in the L461 reign?

Stonecreek
I do like the curve. I was told Whoever put the rifle together at the factory grabbed the floor plate out of random from a bin. different people work on the rifles & there were bins with floor plates & other parts etc, So when the employee assembled the rifle each worker took what parts were nearest to them & presto a new Sako was born. Please correct if I am wrong. I wished on my Avs' that I did not have the same Eland pattern. It would have been nice to have a different pattern on each one. Oh well(

Cat9; yes all L46's are pre Garcia but not all have the Bofors stamp, the later L46 squared off stocks usually will be marked Bofors and the earlier rounded stocks probably dont have the desireable "Bofors Steel" mark. I'm guessing that Sakos used the Bofors Steel mark from about 1958 to 1968 give or take a year plus. There are others on here that can chime in with a more accurate time frame.

Cat9; On the L461's if you find one with a 5 digit serial number it will probably have the Bofors mark

Latest posts

Back