• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Vixen or Riihimaki: what is better?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hallo to all of you.
I am a new member and this is my first post.

My heart ask me a 222 caliber.
I found two options.
The first is a Vixen, not in so good conditions but with a good renovation it can improve.
The second is an early 60's Riihimaki, in good conditions, and with a very nice deluxe stock.
My big doubt is the micro grooves: is it true that Sako in her history made microgrooves barrels with few-hundreds-shots life?
If yes, how is it possible to identify these rifles?

Thank you in advance to all may help me.

I.S.

Hi I.S

its like comparing blondes and brunette's - both can be nice:wink:

To me the big difference is the magazine capacity. The Riihimaki (L46) has a detachable mag. which only holds 3 rounds. The vixen L461 has a hinged floor plate and will take 7 rounds.

If its a sako barrel it won't be a true 'microgroove'. The only microgrooves which wore out where on the sako's with marlin barrels know as the 322. The old sako barrel which has more lands, (but is not a marlin microgroove) in my experience is very different to the marlin and will last thousands of rounds. These will have sako and the calibre on the barrel and also say made in finnland.

I have both L46's and L461's and like them both. Maybe at a push the L461 is a little better when your doing a lot of shooting for pest animals due to it having more magazine capacity, but I really like L46's. You can get 6 round mags for the L46's but they stick out the bottom of the stock which I don't like. The L46's seem perfectly sized for the .222.

The triggers are quiet different. The L46 has a winchester model 70 style trigger, whereas the L461 has a true sako trigger. I find you can adjust the L461 trigger probably a pound lighter than the L46 safely. So if you like lighter triggers maybe the L461 is a little better in that respect.

The safety on the l46 is also on the bolt whereas the L461 safety is integrated into the trigger.

Thats about all I notice as differences. Both are nice! Get one of each.

cheers John

"Vixen" is the name used to describe the Sako small actions. I don't know when it started or who's idea it was. "Vixen" was stamped on the barrel for a period of time , but not all the rifles that are called "Vixens" were stamped with the name. They include the L46, L469, L461, & the AI version of the L461. Some of the early L46's were stamped L46 on top of the front dovetail, but that stamping was dropped & they started being called Riihimaki's (the name of the city where the Sako factory is) because that is what is stamped on the left side of the action, but Sako still referred to them as the L46. All Sakos have the best quality barrels & will last thousands of rounds. Welcome to the Sako Club.

Welcome, our new Italian friend: If you are being offered an L461 in condition that needs renovation or an L46 Deluxe model in nice condition, then the best choice (assuming they are both reasonbly priced) is the L46 Deluxe. Both L46's and L461's can be found with the "multigroove" barrels. I own an L461 .222 with such a barrel (I think it has 12 grooves). It is outstandingly accurate, and in .222 caliber will probalby never wear out if treated with reasonable care. The key to long barrel life is to never shoot long strings of multiple shots which will heat the barrel excessively.

Thank you Friends, for your answers, for welcome and for calling me "friend".

Your details are very important for my choice. I understand that both the models are good rifle, and the long life barrel is not a problem of Sako.
The magazine capacity is not important for me because in my State is not permitted pest animals control with rifle.
I like the bottom side of the L46 because is engraved and the safety on the bolt because it seems me more safe.
But I think that Stonecreek wrote the key of my choice: the price is only a 20% more for the L46, and the L461 has only the rear sight base and not the blade and the front sight complete.
So, because between the two models are not quality product difference, I think will buy the L46.

Thanks to all you.

Welcome to the club! Your choice is a good one, and you will find that the L46 Deluxe is one of the best handling, best shooting rifles in the world. The .222 rem. is so fun to shoot, and will shoot remarkably flat for such a tiny little round . I have a L46 standard sporter ,its a great carry rifle and thus far my best group @ 100 yds is .341"...with factory rounds it shoots .675" or better ,all the time! -Blooroster

itashooter!

A warm welcome to a fellow European!! Good to see more of us here!

I hope you´ll go for the L46 Deluxe too. They are rare and very nice. I like all of my L46´s very much and can recommend them.

Enjoy the forum!

Jim

Thank you Gunner, I hope you give me good luck!
I think within not more than 1 week i will buy the L46 and hope to show you some photos.
Bloorooster, it will be very nice if the mine L46 will shoot like yours.
Nice to meet an European member, L61R!
Enjoy your day!

Itashooter

Back