photo unnamed_zpsad4c74d3.gif
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: L61r bolt shroud.

L61r bolt shroud.

I've been sniffing around this forum for some time and have gain some excellent knowledge with Sako rifles, but looking at all the fantastic rifles around here has me stumped!
    I have an early L61r standard in 270 Win with a strange to me bolt shroud. Cocking piece sits flush with shroud when cocked much like a Howa.
    Previous owner purchased around 1964 (they tell me) and hasn't been touched in any way, so i hope you guys might be able to id the bolt shroud.
    Regards,

Attached Images Attached Images

That will mess with our minds. Looks like a Remsaviwinchrugerington shroud to me (take your pick). I haven't paid attention to all of the subtle differences in L61s but I don't think that rifle came from Finland with it on there. Just MHO- post more pics, please. Thanks for putting it up.-Misako
    Cental USA

Yep...I've never seen a bolt sleeve like this, and many questions come to mind...I'd like to see more pics, showing the bottom side of the shroud, left side shot to see more of the profile of this piece...I wonder if the cockong piece/shroud has flats milled in the bottom to support it as the bolt handle turns to cock the firing pin...some may know where I'm going with this as far as Sako's "improvement" on the the M 74 super design and the use of the pin to carry the torque load of the cocking action and sear/trigger alignment... also the firing pin almost looks loose in aspect to the gap showing between the shroud and firing pin end piece...Sako has very tight tolerances typically~Bloo
    "Honesty may be the best policy, but its important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy."
    .. George Carlin

Almost Heaven...North America

G'day & welcome aboard. Always great to see the locals getting a few words in.

Yes, I have an early L461 in .222 which is the same. Does your receiver have an 'M' stamped next to the 'Lions Head' mark on the side?

I saw another rifle with the same type of shroud, which a collector in SW Sydney showed me , sorry I can't remember the calibre but he made the observation that the guns which did have the unusual cocking piece or shroud (that travels into the back of the bolt), had a 3rd mark on the side of the receiver which is like a capital 'M'.

Shall post some pics tonight after work.

Cheers
    Piper

Toddely

Your bolt looks perfectly normal to me and is the same as all the early sako's from the 1960's I've seen here in Australia. I also have an l61r in .270 (serial number range 11XXX) which has an identical shroud to yours. My early L461's also have the same shroud setup. All the early australian sako's I've seen (L461, L579 and L61) have had the same and I've probably seen hundreds of them in my lifetime.

Piper - both mine have an M stamped on the action. I believe (speculate) this refers to the barrels having the 'sako' micro grove rifling barrels (well both mine do).

Cheers John
    Australia

One more thing. Your sako is what will be referred to on this board as a "pre-garcia" sako. It should have a black plastic grip cap on the stock with white line spacer and also the same on the butt plate.
    Australia

Hello All,
    I can support what the other Australian members are saying. I recently looked at a couple of older .222 Rem L461s (Hunter and Carbine) in Canberra that had the same bolt shrouds. I had never seen this type before myself - as my only L461 is a transition gun which has the A1 or slanted bolt shroud.

Having closely watched this site for a couple of years now I can also say that I have never noticed anything like this on here before either.

It appears that this my have been a difference that was geographically driven by the Australian Importer/market of the day?

I would certainly be keen to hear from anyone who can shed some further light on the issue!
    Cheers,
    Last edited by sraaw; 14th May 2012 at 04:29.
    SRAAW
    Queensland, Australia

great thread guys, keep this one going! I find this rather interesting, a new sakoddity to ponder! I still wanna see more pics...What Importers are common with Sako's down under? ~Bloo
    "Honesty may be the best policy, but its important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy."
    .. George Carlin

Almost Heaven...North America

Australia sako bolts all from between 1964 to 1966. Left to right L461 in .222 rem, L61r .270 win, L61R .375 H&H which show the above shroud which was standard on all the L series from this era that I've seen. All have bofors barrels and would be considered "pre-garcia's" in the US.
    bolt1.jpgbolt 2.jpg
    Australia

Piper, you are correct, mine also has the 'M' stamped after the crest. Topgear, your pics answer it all, my bolt is the same as yours. My rifle has the 'Bofors' barrel, white spacer/black cap on the grip etc
    Bloorooster, the gap between the firing pin and shroud is actually a chamfer on the firing pin giving the illusion of poor fitment (Thank the heavens)
    The previous owner told me it has never seen a gunsmith and thanks to you kind gents i can sleep easier knowing its factory and not some strange repair.
    Thanks to all, Todd.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast