• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Ammunition sasko 218 bee cartridge

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

susanna,
That is real nice, was there more than 1 there? I do not think i have ever seen one in Bee!
I have a half box in 32-20, in a 50 round 'white' box which looks very similar.
I am thinking it came from the 20 round boxes, as it has the green moisture seal, but that is purely a guess, late 50's.
I will have to dig into my cartridges and see what i have, i have quite few of the 25-20 20 round boxes, so we could compare the head stamp etc.
Do you have other examples you can look at like the second 50 round 'red' box from the '60's? i have none from this series. only an empty box.
Nice one!
L-46

L46.thanks.
there was a reloaded case just like this one, it went to another collector. if you guys have not seen these 218 bee rnds, will keep this one under lock & key !
those 2 to rnds are boxer primed which makes me think they are closer to the 1960's, the 32-20 ammo is primed exactly the same as this bee rnd
have a full almost mint red & blue 32-20 box, & a heap of loose sako 32-20 rnds, shot some of them in my bsa martini 32-20 take down, 90 gr projectile through the chrony at over 2000fps. wouldnt recomend shooting those in an old lever gun. typical sako, full on ammo.
wonder why sako made 32-20 like these ? esp as they are not suitable for lever guns.
you have any of the sako 25-20 with the semi pt projectiles ? have some dated boxes, did some photos but not happy with the result, will do them again asap.
the white 32-20 box you mention i have in 25-20.
have a full red & blue 22 hornet box that is all but mint.
susanna

Going to have to keep my eye out for these 218 Bee rounds!

I guess the 32-20 and 25-20 were loaded reasonably hot because they were meant for the L46.
The other theory I have heard is that the powder used was temperature sensitive which is ok in a cool Finnish climate but pressure rises quickly in the Australian summer.

Going to have to keep my eye out for these 218 Bee rounds!

I guess the 32-20 and 25-20 were loaded reasonably hot because they were meant for the L46.
The other theory I have heard is that the powder used was temperature sensitive which is ok in a cool Finnish climate but pressure rises quickly in the Australian summer.
Not sure they made a L46 in 32-20??
Unless you have one!
I have spoken to two different old timers, many years back that swore they saw them new, back in the day!
There is a good chance, if Sako ever chambered one, that it will turn up over here, many years back i saw a Sako varmint barrel that was stamped 25-20!
I am not sure if it was a take off barrel or a factory replacement blank.
I would have bought it, in a heart beat, but it had been rechambered to 25-06, by some numb skull!!
Not sure off hand of the powder, but from memory was it N110?
L-46

Last edited:
I have no first hand info on the 32-20 except that it is listed as a L46 calibre at the back of the Timo Hyytinen, Sako-ASEET book. The 32-20 does not seem to be listed anywhere else in the book even though there are a number of old ads for the L46 listing 22 hornet, 25-20, 7x33, 218 Bee and 222.

A contact in Finland has responded about the 32-20 L46 - He says that 32-20 was not a factory chambering but employees could make "specials" for their own use so a 32-20 L46 is possible although not known. Apparently early 22 hornets are known from before official production.

He also told me that 218 Bee rifle was first offered in the early 50s and was available for around 10 years and that ammo was probably from a similar timeframe. The 218 is virtually unknown in Finland so it must have been for the USA market - both rifle and ammo. Ammo boxes are rare and probably "easier to find one in the US".

Good Morning Sako Lovers,

My late friend Derek O Tyndale-Powell who passed away in 2012 age 84 had a Sako L42 not 46 in .32-20 Calibre which we shot on many many occations. The rifle had a lovely
figured Birch stock. Derek purchased the rifle in 1950 from a gun shop in Lower Parkstone Poole Dorset which closed in the 1960's. I can't remember the name of the shop as I
never used it. Interestingly the year Derek purchased the rifle was the year I was born.

I told Jim L61R the whole story on a PM only last month. The reason I don't have the rifle was because a Gun Dealer beat me to it!

Sincerely

Blackjack AKA Mike The Limey

Good Morning Sako Lovers,

My late friend Derek O Tyndale-Powell who passed away in 2012 age 84 had a Sako L42 not 46 in .32-20 Calibre which we shot on many many occations. The rifle had a lovely
figured Birch stock. Derek purchased the rifle in 1950 from a gun shop in Lower Parkstone Poole Dorset which closed in the 1960's. I can't remember the name of the shop as I
never used it. Interestingly the year Derek purchased the rifle was the year I was born.

I told Jim L61R the whole story on a PM only last month. The reason I don't have the rifle was because a Gun Dealer beat me to it!

Sincerely

Blackjack AKA Mike The Limey
Very interesting Mike,
Can you remember the serial number, or anything about the magazine?
very little is known about the L42!
L-46

Back