• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

repairing the l46 or l57 safety

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

safari1

The safety lever on mine slips on the safety shaft. NFG for sure. Stonecreek has advised that there was a thread in here precisely describing how to repair it. There was apparently pics as well.

If you can steer me to that thread, I would be extremely grateful.
Cheers Safari1- Bob.

Last edited:
safari1, Use the advanced search function at the top right side of the forum and search "L46 safety" that should take you to related threads. Look for thread " Riihimaki L46 bolt disassembly step by step guide " posted by topgear . hope this helps. Jim

The safety lever on mine spins on the safety shaft. NFG for sure. Stonecreek has advised that there was a thread in here precisely describing how to repair it. There was apparently pics as well.

If you can steer me to that thread, I would be extremely grateful.
Cheers Safari1- Bob.
There is a very small diameter pin that goes thru the lever & shaft. It may have sheared off or fallen out. Any steel pin of the right diameter can be used to replace it. If the pin is missing or broken you should be able to pull the lever off. Just an educated guess without a hands on look.

No pin on mine. The lever was press fitted onto the shaft. Too bad Sako did not use a tapered spline design on the shaft, something like the wheel lugs that are press fitted onto a brake drum of your vehicle. Mechanics have to use a cutting torch quite often to remove a broken wheel lug. They very seldom just pound out.

Last edited:
My L57 did the same thing. It would never go on safety because the shaft would not rotate when the thumb lever rotated. No pin on it so the g/s had to re-solder it. The 1st time he tried it, it was not indexed properly but the next time he got it right.

This is is old school with metal-on-metal lifting of the firing pin off the sear under all that spring pressure...kind of like an old Mauser. So there's lots of pressure required to put it 'ON' safe compared to most rifles that only block the trigger. Mine works great now, if not a little stiff.

The heat will likely discolor/dull the thumb lever so be aware of that. I wish they'd stuck with the L46 design that had the pin.

Phil

Latest posts

Back