• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

My L461 .223

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Here are some pictures of my L461 .223 as you can see the only barrel markings are underneath in says SAKO .223 CAL and on the upper side of the barrel is .223. The serial number for this gun is 92X@Z. I am pretty sure the barrel is original and i have had the gun for 30 years. Any thoughts?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Hi Matt

My 'guess' is your rifle was probably made in 1968 or 1969 and most likely in .222. Sometime before you brought it, it has been re-barreled with a used sako .223 barrel. The gunsmith hasn't been able to index the original barrel stampings to the top of the action and so has re-stamped the caliber on the side of the barrel. Alternatively, it may have been a .223 from the start (if so it should have a bofors stamp on it) and had the throat worn out so was re-chambered, but I think this is less likely. Does it have a bofors stamp? It wouldn't have left the factory like that.

Looks like a neat rifle. I love those old stocks, with the thin pistol grips.

Cheers John

Hi John,

Thanks heaps for your reply.I cannot find Bofors or Garcia anywhere on the rifle.

The last 3 numbers in the serial number do not match the bolt so my guess was it may have had the chamber recut to head space the rifle?.

I love the rifle it is a real tack driver and easily shoots half MOA with my handloads.

I bought a model 85 in .223 not to burn the old girl out.

Cheers Matt

Last edited:
Rite on Top gear I got excited before I noticed the re-barrel job. Those gun very rare. especially in a heavy barrel.

Matt,
I apologize for Edds comments,
Not all of us are interested in Sako's, for a 'New in Box' safe queen,
We share an interest in these great rifles, for many reasons.

Your rifle is definately my favourite 'series' of all Sako's, i have two in this series which are my 'Go to' culling rifles. Both where 222 magn's from the factory, and are now 223AI's. Between these two rifles i shoot around 2000 rounds a year and my varminter is on its third barrel.

I agree with TG's comments, most likely a 222 or 222mag, they were both very popular here at the time, the 223 did not get momentum here till the later.
The barrel is in very good condition to group that well, and i think, looking at the distance of the lettering from the receiver that the chamber has not been recut.
Thanks for sharing

L-46

Matt

I really like it. That's the sort of accuracy that gave sako their reputation :tup:

Would be interested to hear your opinion of the comparison between your 85 and the L461. We also love hearing stories and seeing photo's of the hunting adventures of these old girls on the forum!

Cheers John

Well I meant no disrespect that's a nice rig and will shoot great but I also keep an eye out for these rare guns. Regardless of condition as the L461 in 223 bofor marked could just be one of the most rare sakos. Very few were made especially in a deluxe or HB. So yes condition plays a role but only when for SALE not when collecting. Its good that L46 buys lesser grade rifles there is plenty out there, so its a better buyer group to be in. I only source lesser grade rifles when all options are gone, sorry if that is disliked but when shooting a good grade sako in excellent condition the experience is very pleasing. I guess a big part of buying Excellent grade rifles is that they shoot as was expected.

know of three sako barrels stamped this way 2 in my collection the other a mates, his an earlier L61r fibreclass 270win. barrel stamps completly upside down. there are no other stamps. his like my 223r show blueing wear as they do in a tight fitted stock along the barrel channel.would think these sako,s have been this way since new. distance from action to lettering measures up close to all my other sakos of this period.
the second cal stamp on the rifle in question looks like its only stamped so it can easily identified.
susanna.
sako L461 barrel stamp  photo resized.jpg

Good afternoon everyone,

Thanks for all the brilliant replies and information i am getting just goes to prove this forum is brilliant for all things Sako.

This is interesting because the markings on my rifle look identical to susanna has on her rifle.

This is proving to be a bit of a mystery.

It has no proof marks on the barrel and no borfors or garcia on the barrel but the SAKO CAL .223 look exactly the same as on edds.

I also note on susanna's rifle the stamp looks off centre.

We both might have the ultra rare model HA HA HA.

Thanks Everyone

Matt

Last edited:
Hi John,

The 85 is a great rifle just does not seem as hand made(if you like) as the L461.

The action on the 85 is as smooth has a lower bolt lift and is very accurate, once you develop loads it likes.

I found it hates hornady v max projectiles and is lucky to throw them in a 3 inch circle at 100 metres.
It does not mind 55gr bergers as long as they are running slow 2900fps.
The 85 loves sierra super roos (Sierra 55gr GK) and will easily match the L461 in accuracy also with 52gr Bergers and they can be run flat out.

I am not overly fussed with the funny recoil plate thingy on the 85 and am finding it difficult to get a gunsmith to bed it.

I bought the stainless in walnut and am quite happy with the rifle and it did shoot sub MOA with Remington factory ammo so it made the Sako guarantee.

Thanks Heaps
Matt

Hi L-46,

Thanks for your input into this bit of a mystery.
No need to apologise for Edd as sometimes posts in text don't always come out the way people intended.:wink:

Like you i really like this series it just seems to fit, skinny pistol grip and the pull length seems about perfect.

I actually used this gun as my back up gun for skin shooting and would have used it as my primary gun had it not been for the pretty walnut stock.

Thanks

Matt

Hi Edd,

Thanks for your comments.

Looks like you have a very nice vixen .223 there.

The rifle in question shoots very well (the posted targets are ALL 5 shot groups at 100 Metres) so i understand your comments on excellent grade rifles however this rifle shoots EXCELLENT.

Cheers

Matt

Its good that L46 buys lesser grade rifles there is plenty out there, so its a better buyer group to be in. I only source lesser grade rifles when all options are gone, sorry if that is disliked but when shooting a good grade sako in excellent condition the experience is very pleasing. I guess a big part of buying Excellent grade rifles is that they shoot as was expected.
Edd, not sure what you are getting at,
The rifle and discussion in 'Topic' has nothing to do with collecting or your own personal aspirations, I am clearly saying that members of this forum buy, own and use Sako's for many different reasons.
I am not sure why you think i buy lesser grade Sako's? not really sure what you are implying?

L-46

Hi L-46,

Just checked out some of your other posts and all of your rifles pictured in those posts look EXCELLENT to me.

Very very clean and tidy rifles especially as you do use them and obviously very accurate to pull off those long shots on the pigs pictured.

Cheers
Matt

Well I am not too sure why you need to apologise for me? An I thought you taking a dig at my collecting habits. I have no problem with people collecting guns plainly for aesthetics or full blown hunting purposes and what ever they choose to do. And If you buy guns with mixed parts and or just any condition L46 - that's also fine as that's what I thought you meant you collect. Sorry if that offended you. But just as Matt states posts are sometimes miss leading. especially in regards to intent. I hope your ok with that L46 as I appreciate your contribution's greatly. :iluvu:

Back