• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Posting lots of photos - advice needed

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

piper235b

Hi
What is the best way to post up a thread with lots of photos. I just tried to post a new thread and it warned me I had exceeded 4 photos.

Thanks
Piper

Piper. I load mine in jpg format so they are easier to open although they will not blow up as large as some like to load up. I don't load more than 4 at a time anyway so you may have to load them just 4 at a time per post.- Misako

Before loading up any photos to photo hosting sites such as Photobucket or forums such as this it pays to resize them. One of the easiest to use is Microsofts Image Resizer which was one of their Powertoys. However they discontinued it after XP but it has been recreated for use by later OS's by an enterprising programmer - just google Image Resizer for Windows or go to http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/ . It is really easy to use and much simpler than using a photo-editing program. Just right click on your photo.

In general for forum posting it pays to load your photos to a photo-sharing site such as Photobucket (the free option is adequate for most users if you don't mind ads). Instead of posting your photos directly on the forum you just post a link to your photo in Photobucket so you are not using any of the forum's bandwidth or whatever. Linking is easy. Open your photo in Photobucket or similar and copy the Img link alongside and paste it in your post.

At least that is how I do mine. You can link videos too but that can be a little trickier as not all photo-hosting sites host videos and there are size restrictions.

If you want to maintain your privacy and not publish personal details or other embedded info (such as GPS coords of your home or secret hunting locations) make sure your photo hosting site is set to Private and is password protected. When linked to a forum as described above viewers will be able to see your picture but will not be able to browse your albums. Windows OS's have provision for removing embedded information from photos but I can never remember where to find it and use a freebie program called BatchPurifier which can purge a whole folder of pictures at once. I am sure there are other programs out there, but this one works fine as far as I can tell. It is amazing how much personal information can be gleaned from unpurged photos and documents such as MS Word.

Clear as mud? - David.

Thanks for your advice guys,
I've ended up just posting 4 at a time, slow way to do it, but it gets there.

Cheers
Piper

Back