• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako TRGs New owner, need advice......Help!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

scotsgun

Folks,

I have just acquired a little used TRG-S M995 in caliber 7mm Rem Mag. I'd be grateful if anyone could help with the following:

• Recommend an accurate load. I've just bought myself some Vhit N165, Reloaded 22, Ramshot Magnum, Berger 168VLDs and Hornady 139gr SSTs.
  • Magazines. I have two 5-round magazines but have been told that TRG42 magazines will fit with a little modification. Is this true?
  • Bedding. Is it worth doing a bedding job?
Many thanks
Marc

Welcome, Marc!

Last question first: Modifying the bedding of a rifle is only indicated when you have a problem with accuracy which can clearly be attributed to a fault in the bedding. Don't mess with it unless an until you find you have a problem.

It is not possible to dependably predict what load will perform best in a given rifle. However, the three powders and two bullets you have are very appropriate to the 7mm RM and you should be able to find a good load among them.

I'm not sure if TRG magazines can be adapted, but why would you wish to?

I've owned several TRGs Sakos and all have been very accurate. I hunted with one of them in Africa, and my son hunted with another in Canada.

TRG42 mags can be adapted just by notching the front. I do this with one of mine using 338LM TRG42 mags. Factory mags can still be had at a few places but they are drying up so the TRG42 mag route gives you options. Factory barrel is going to heat up on you quick though and stay hot so don't plan on long strings until you get it rebarreled.

Don't bed the stock. It's already has an aluminum bedding block in the stock and the barrel is floated. If you put it to use it's going to crack over time so you'll be replacing it at some point anyway and they are pretty damn accurate from the factory to start with.

L

Last edited:
Back