• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Opinions on L61R in .375 H&H- New to Sako's & the Forum

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

DavisTN

Hello All & Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

As the title states, I am new to the Sako world and to the forum. I have the opportunity to acquire a L61R chambered in .375 H&H for what I believe to be quite a good deal. The owner tells me that the serial dates the rifle to 1962 production, but I do not have the serial to reference. So far, I have only seen pictures of the rifle (local seller, planning to meet up tomorrow). It does have a handful of blemishes in the bluing, but appears to be a well-preserved rifle.

Being new to the Sako world, I have had a hard time finding useful information regarding this particular model/caliber setup. I have seen similar vintage rifles in different calibers selling for $1,000-$2,500. The asking price for this rifle is $500.

I know that I didn't really formulate this post in the form of a question, and that was kind of by design. I wanted to see what opinions/suggestions/experiences fans and collectors of Sako firearms might be able to offer. Again, any and all opinions or information will be greatly appreciated. I have attached a couple of the photos that the seller has sent to me. The stock appears to be in great shape!

Thank you for your time and knowledge. Hopefully, I'll purchase the rifle and have more to contribute to this site in the future!

Chris

Attachments

• CAM00058 (2).jpg
    CAM00058 (2).jpg
    17 KB · Views: 65
  • CAM00011.jpg
    CAM00011.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 65
  • CAM00010.jpg
    CAM00010.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 15
from the poor quality pictures it appears to be a sako/Mauser no dovetails made throughout the 50's until 60 when the L61r came out. that is a very under rated rifle and hasn't the appeal as later models. mainly because of mounting system. exceptional accuracy.
$500 is the rite price.

It is not an L61R. If the barrel is marked "Sako" then it is likely a rifle built by Sako on the FN Mauser action. These were from the 1950s into the first year or so of the 60's, preceding the L61R which came along in 1961-62. The FN action is a time-proven, high-quality action. And Sako made quality rifles on the FN action. This one appears to be one of the later ones which actually used a Sako trigger. They were distributed in this country chambered in .270, .30-06, .300 H&H, and .375 H&H. In Europe some were distributed in additional calibers like 8x60. If the rifle is in decent condition, $500 is a screaming bargain. Buy it.

Thanks for the reply stonecreek. From the seller:"The only marking on the rifle is 'Sako' & '375 Magnum' on the barrel. I was told by Sportsmans WH that it's built on a Mauser action and they dated the serial to 1962. I'm not sure if it's 375 weatherby or 375 HH, but Sportsmans said 375 HH."

I'm supposed to be meeting with the seller this morning, so I truly appreciate your feedback. If the rifle is in acceptable condition, I'll purchase it and post higher quality pictures.

If it isn't considered a L61R, how would this rifle be designated or referenced for lookup?

The Fjestad Blue Book is notoriously inaccurate on both how it lists Sakos and how it values them, so don't bother with that source. There was no model number for this rifle, so it is simply referred to as the "Sako-Mauser". References vary as to exactly what years the Sako-Mauser was produced, but it was not until 1959 that Sako introduced its #4 trigger, which is what the rifle in question appears to be equipped with.

Probably because of when these were produced, I've seen quite a few .300 H&H's rechambered to .300 Weatherby, which was all the rage in the early 1960's. Some of the .375 H&H models were undoubtedly rechambered to .375 Weatherby. However, regular .375 ammunition will shoot just fine in a .300 Weatherby chamber. Regardless of whether it has been rechambered, it is still easily worth the $500 asking price. The action alone in probably worth $400.

Back