• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Tikka M55 info

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

fire306

I have recently purchased a Tikka M55. I'm still waiting for it to be delivered.
I was looking for a rifle action to build a custom 6BR or similar off of and this rifle came available so I purchased it.
It is a Tikka M55 action and stock with a Kreiger stainless barrel, chambered in 6XC.
I believe the model is a Sporter, but in all my google searches, I have only found one like it.
I am thinking about just keeping it in the stock, as I like the looks of it. I will know more when I receive it.
Here's a few photos that the seller emailed me.
I'm looking for any info that anyone would share about this model. I have a safe full of Sako's, this is my only Tikka, and am not too educated about them, especially the older models.
Thanks in advance.

It is in fact a factory stock, according to the picture in the earliest of my Tikka brochures, printed in Finnish (late 70s/early 80s) and is listed as the LSA 55 Sport. This would appear to pre-date my '80s LSA 55 Sporter, with the deep ISU-type stock, adjustable cheekpiece and stippling on the wrist and fore-end.

Hope this helps.

Terenceh.

Thanks Terenceh,
The seller says it is a factory Tikka stock. I have only seen one other rifle in photos like this with google searches.
Here is the site with the picks. This one has an Ithaca recoil pad one it??? I'm not sure if the one I bought does, as I haven't received it yet.
w ww.sniperforums.com/forum/gallery/15376-tikka-m55-308-a.html
Now, I am searching Ithaca LSA-55, it appears more are showing up with that search.

That is a Ithaca Lsa-55 heavy barrel model. They were only sold here in the US chambered in the 22-250 and the .222. As far as I know Canada and Europe got this also in the .243, 6mm and the .308. This model is the lowest production of all the Ithaca Lsa models which consisted of the Deluxe, Standard and the Heavy Barrels. I have a couple of both in the 22-250 and the .222.

That is a Ithaca Lsa-55 heavy barrel model. They were only sold here in the US chambered in the 22-250 and the .222. As far as I know Canada and Europe got this also in the .243, 6mm and the .308. This model is the lowest production of all the Ithaca Lsa models which consisted of the Deluxe, Standard and the Heavy Barrels. I have a couple of both in the 22-250 and the .222.

My 1978 Tikka European brochure lists all the above calibres as available in the LSA-55 heavy barrelled Sport, apart from the 6mm.

Terenceh.

Based on my 'layman's' observation of the M55/LSA55 action ... be aware of a couple of things about the '55. The left hand action raceway is not obstructed (when the action is in battery) by any lug or shroud.... as a result a case (or primer) that lets go and releases gas 'could' find its way back to the shooters face (this situation does not exist in the longer and heavier '65 action).

BUT - I do not think that the Tikka engineers overlooked this potential for a problem and what they did was design a very unusual barrel face which has been machined to form a cone that projects towards the bolt face. I believe the purpose of the 'cone' face that forms part of the chamber was to more fully enclose the case and eliminate (or significantly reduce) any danger associated with a ruptured primer or a case separation.

The CAUTION to be conscious of when using this action and rebarreling is twofold!!!
a) I personally would insist that the gunsmith rebarreling this action recreate precisely the 'cone' and associated dimensions on the barrel face. Other wise they will most likely adopt a simpler approach and machine and chamber a new barrel with a flat face (as many other rifles emply) and likely eliminate what I believe is an important and specifically intentional safety feature of the original design.
b) Because of this protruding 'cone' the magazine of an '55 action MUST present the cartridge directly towards the chamber when being loaded from the magazine or the cartridge nose will strike the forward edge of the 'cone' and hang -up.... it is a testament to the original '55 design that the cartridges (as factory chambered) feed so well ... moreover in a factory chambered '55 .. a single cartridge can be laid on top of the magazine 'rails' and it will also feed directly into the chamber ... while any attempt to stick the cartridge into the chamber with your fingers will usually fail...

Long winded but I think these observations are important to consider when changing the calibre or rebarreling a '55 action (m55 or LSA 55) ... good luck btw!! sounds like it could be a terrific rifle.

Back