• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako 85 varmint 22-250 questions?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Big Cat Daddy

Hello guys. I have fallen in love with the sako 85 laminated SS varmint but would like to ask your opinion on them before I spend that kind of money.
Thanks for any information you might be able to add. I do really like these guns but will never replace my AI & AII heavy barrels. So for the questions,
1. How about the accuracy?
2. Is the set trigger nice?
3. How do you like the overall gun?
4. Any negatives besides price?
5. Any other information I should know?
Thanks you sako guys, I really value your opinions.
BDC

I can't speak from experience on other than Q2 but for what it is worth I have set triggers on both my 85 Finnlights and really like them. The standard trigger is good but it is nice to have the set trigger option especially on my WSM. However when using the set trigger you have to consciously keep your finger off the trigger until you are really ready to fire! Of course this should be standard practice with any trigger, just more so with the set trigger. - David

1. I have a canjar single set on my heavy barrel .22-250 (early AII) and really like it. A while back we brought a Sako 85 Barvarian .270 for my old mans 60th with a set trigger and I would rate this better than the canjar. It may not go as light as the canjar but the blade setup on the canjar just doesn't have the same feel as the sako and takes a little getting used too. If I ever buy a new sako I'd be looking for a set trigger version if possible! Why sako doesn't do a short action (.222) barvarian carbine is beyond me! One of these with a set trigger would probably see me buy a new sako!

4. Finish on the newer 85's I've seen is miles behind the old L series, but perfectly serviceable. However, if your a laminate/SS guy this shouldn't worry you.

Sorry I can't help with the rest.

Cheers John

Thank all you guys. Your always helpful. And Gary, I did read your post. AWESOME SHOOTING. We are almost neighbors, I'm in Baytown. Thanks again fellows. BDC

Hi BDC
I have a 85 varmint in 22-250 (walnut blued) see my post Sako 85 varmint 22 -250
accuracy is very good . See attached pic first 3 shots
I have found the 50g Remington accutips give me the best grouping
don't have the set trigger (a mate has one on his 85 synthetic SS in 25 06 its very very good)
I am more than happy with the standard trigger .. No creep breaks clean
only issue I had was with the rifle was the sako ring mounts I ran out of up adjustment on my Zeiss fixed that once I put the optilock bases & mounts on the gun
overall could not be happier with the rifle that happy

I Have just ordered a new 85 laminated stainless in 243
regards Mark

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Hi BDC
I have a 85 varmint in 22-250 (walnut blued) see my post Sako 85 varmint 22 -250
accuracy is very good . See attached pic first 3 shots
I have found the 50g Remington accutips give me the best grouping
don't have the set trigger (a mate has one on his 85 synthetic SS in 25 06 its very very good)
I am more than happy with the standard trigger .. No creep breaks clean
only issue I had was with the rifle was the sako ring mounts I ran out of up adjustment on my Zeiss fixed that once I put the optilock bases & mounts on the gun
overall could not be happier with the rifle that happy

I Have just ordered a new 85 laminated stainless in 243
regards Mark
GeeZ, Mark. Remind me to never pee in your shrubbery!:focus:-Misako

Thanks. Just might do that. I'm handicapped with a light stroke but I still get out & shoot some. Where do you shoot, American Shooting Center? I'm a member at a nice small range in Crosby. BDC

Thanks Gary. Just might do that. I'm handicapped with a light stroke but I still get out & shoot some. Where do you shoot, American SC? I'm a member at a nice small range in Crosby, about 30 min. from Houston. BDC

I do shoot at American. I am also a member of Bayou Rifles. Their rifle range is at Juliff. Just south of Arcola. Too far for you to go. I have been breaking in my new Sako at Hot Wells...I hate that range. Time to go to Juliff or American so I can set up my chrono just to check things out.

Hi BDC

Seems like the same problem I had with my 85 Finnlights - see thread in "triggers, mounts and peep sights". - David

I pick up the new 85 SS varmint in 243 next week hopefully won't be a issue , should not as I am using bases and rings
Mark

Back