• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Vintage mounts 30mm

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

ThomasHA

Hi,

I'm in the process of restoring my late fathers L61R Finnbear 30-06. The rifle really has a lot of story behind it so I want to have it restored to commemorate him.

When I got it, it had the original Sako medium height mounts mounted with a gloss Nikko Sterling 3-9-32 scope on it, just like my father bought it. However the scope was broken so I had to replace it.

Since the stock, barrel, receiver etc. is gloss I want the scope to be gloss as well.

Today it has a Leupold matt scope mounted with Leupold mounts.

What I want to regarding the scope, is to find a vintage gloss Zeiss or Swarovski and have it mounted in the original, now vintage, Sako scope rings. I don't want another Nikko Sterling as it was a cheap scope, and what he could get at the time. If he had the chance he would have swapped the scope with a better glass.

My problem with this little update is that I often find Zeiss and Swarovski in 30mm main tube, and not the 1" the mounts are in.

Since I'm from Europe, Denmark I want a Zeiss or Swarovski and no other.

I noticed a guy who had new screws made so I was wondering, if it dose not exist, if a 30mm or even 33mm Sako vintage scope mounts could be fabricated?

Am I correct when I say no 30mm mounts exist?

Let me know what you think and if a possible fabrication could be possible. If a fabrication is the only way, the mounts should be made to factory specs or better with the exact same design and surface treatment. The only difference is these mounts will accommodate the 30mm main tube of a scope.

Best Regards,
Thomas

Thomas- You are correct that there are no 30mm vintage mounts. You can settle with the 26mm or 25.4mm (1") ring mounts or you can go to Leupold Mounts in 30mm and have an excellent system also. I know that Zeiss makes a 1" tube scope as do many others so if you are trying to come up with a decent scope for that rifle it shouldn't be a hard decision.-Misako

Thomas, you should be able to find a 1" tubed Zeiss or Swarovski scope of that era in gloss.
I personally have a few of the Zeiss Diavari T 3-9x36 on my Sako's. Ebay US is a good place to start your search. At least then you can use your original Sako mounts, the way it should be.

Thanks for the feedback.

misako 50: I already have the Leupold Sako mounts, the problem is they are not original to the rifle which is what I'm going after. I want to use the original Sako mounts. I really like them especially the windage adjustment.

The scope(s) I have my eyes on are:

Zeiss Diavari - Z 2,5-10x48 T*

Zeiss Diavari - ZA 2,5-10x52 T*

Zeiss Diavari - ZA 1,5-6x42 T*

My problem is just the tube diameter and finish.

If an original vintage Sako mount could be made in 30mm I would be the buyer

Best Regards,
Thomas

Thomas- A gunsmith would be your best bet. I could see where a smith could "lape" a set of rings enough to make them concentric but I can't imagine taking enough off a set of High Vintage rings to get to 30mm. If the hole to enlarge would stay static (like a hole in plate steel) I could see that being done. The problem is the two pieces that need to be enlarged. I think a good smith with the right tools could do it --IF THERE WAS ENOUGH METAL ON THE RING BODY CIRCLE TO BE USEFULL WHEN DONE. I don't think there is.-Misako

Last edited:
The 30mm tube offers no real advantage over the 1" (25.4mm) or the 26mm tubes. Sometimes people are misled into believing that the larger tube "lets through more light", but in reality the only advantage to a larger tube is potentially a slightly greater range of reticle adjustment (and even then, some manufacturers don't take advantage of this!) If you want to keep the rifle "original" with contemporaneous rings and scope, then look for a 1" or 26mm scope tube. After all, the 30mm tube was very uncommon at the time your father's L61R was made, so it wouldn't fit with the concept of restoring the rifle to is original configuration.

I was in Copenhagen last August for a few days. Busy city with lots to see and do.

Thanks for the reply everybody.

Stonecreek: I wanted to maintain a 1" scope, but since I want to mount a Zeiss or Swarowski on top of the rifle the biggest selection is in 30mm main tube. perhaps people are holding on to the 1" tubes?

Because it was so easy to get the scope with 30mm main tube I wanted to be sure that the ring mount option I was looking for was a dead end. If not then I could have the restoration done faster :)

But I'll just go on a hunt for a 1" Zeiss :)

Another think the scope I have listed should be without the Z as it is the scopes that have the mount rail system.

However, if somebody should find it interesting to make the vintage rings in 30mm or 33mm I will be very interested in buying a set or two :)

Back