• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Looking for some advice.

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

fire306

What is this rifle, Looking for some advice.

Hello everyone,
I have found a rifle for sale, the seller says it is an old sako in 7mm Ren Mag.
He doesn't know much about it, he sent me a few photos. It has a rosewood front on the forearm and on the base of the pistol grip.
Which would lead me to believe it is a deluxe. It doesn't have the double checkering of most deluxe models and actually appears to me to more resemble a Tikka LSA-65.
Here's the photos,
I am looking to get any info that I can on the possible model, and maybe some kind of a value.
The pictures aren't the greatest of quality, he is going to send me more tomorrow.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
No, not a Deluxe. That's a custom stock (which seems to be fairly nicely done). It is difficult to see the action in either of the photos, but the bolt release appears to be consistent with that on a Sako L61R. The scope mounts are Millett, which I've had good luck with. I can't identify the scope. More photos would help.

I'm waiting for more photos, he just emailed me the serial number, 604xxx which predates anything I have found on Sako's website.
The scope is a Swarovski.
Any idea of value? If its of value, I want to jump on it before it sells.
Seller also says it says "Sako" on it but says it is a M65

edit**. The rifle does not say m65 on it. It says sako, and has a small triangle stamp beside the sako. And it says 7mm rem on it. The owner says it is a m65, but it is not marked on it.
A friend of mine looked at it and says he had a model 74 super that looked very similar to this one.

Last edited:
That serial number would put it in the Sako A-V era. The A-V ("A-5") was the successor action to the L61R and A-III and was essentially the same as its predecessors except for having a slightly longer rear tang (although the action screw holes were in the same place). All of the rifles built on these full-length actions were called "Finnbear". An A-V in this serial number range would date to the early or mid-1980's. At some point the A-V Finnbears changed to a different trigger and adopted a 580mm (22.83") barrel as opposed to the traditional 620mm (24.4") barrel. I'm not sure from the serial number whether the rifle in question falls into the earlier or later group.

I can't comment as to a fair market price. The value of rifles varies regionally, the ratio of the USD to the CAD varies, and Sworovski scopes, while expensive, also have a somewhat irregular resale value. Having a replacement custom stock is also a wildcard which makes it impossible to make a reasonable estimate of value.

The barrel according to the seller (consignment seller, not the owner) is 24"
The seller says the owner said the scope was $1800 alone. Canadian.
Thanks for the info so far, I hope to see more photos today. The owner is open for offers, so I may make an offer.

I would be careful making an offer to a seller that can't even properly identify what he has. People get mad sometimes when they find the truth. It would not be prudent to pay more for this rifle than a factory original in similar condition. Unless you really want the Sworo scope, I'd tell him to keep it unless I could buy it for a third of retail or less. Like ALL custom built guns, you NEVER get what they cost back. Good Luck!!

I would be careful making an offer to a seller that can't even properly identify what he has. People get mad sometimes when they find the truth. It would not be prudent to pay more for this rifle than a factory original in similar condition. Unless you really want the Sworo scope, I'd tell him to keep it unless I could buy it for a third of retail or less. Like ALL custom built guns, you NEVER get what they cost back. Good Luck!!

Thanks, the more I think about it, the more I am swaying away from it. If it had the factory stock, I think it would be a good buy.

That could also be a Sako Classic stock that someone enhanced, but the checkering and forend are not Sako. That Swarovski scope is old and a long ways from being worth $1800.00. Sako and Tikka Lsa-65 are not the same and the LSA was never built by Sako. If you could get the gun for $600.00 without the scope it would be worth that, but any more and you are buying someone else's project and problem...

Just an update, the guy never followed up and sent me anymore photos. I never pursued it any further. I would assume someone bought it.

Latest posts

Back