• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L579 Stock Replacement Options

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stephenhubchen

Hi, I've an early L579 that has a crack/chip in the stock that may be repairable. If it is not, would like to know what are the most cost-effective options out there. This is a hunting rifle so originality is not too important. Barring finding an original Sako wood stock, what are the alternatives?

Keep in mind that Bell & Carlson no longer offers the Carbelite stock. Just found out the 40 year old molds have given up the ghost.

Thanks,

Last edited:
If your looking for a finished stock ready to go your options are pretty much limited to what you find on the auction or shooting sites. If money is not an issue a simple call to McMillan with get you what you want. If your handy with stock inletting and finishing there are usually some options on Gunbroker or you can buy an un-inletted stock from Boyds and break out the tools.

I took the liberty of going back thru the older posts and I am assuming this is the rifle that your dad left you. In your place, I would try to find a replacement stock on the net and repair what you have in the meantime. A good reproduction stock will set you back well north of $750 now, if you do no work on it yourself. About the price of a McM. I think I might buy a whole rifle and then turn around and sell the barreled action, if I could find the right rifle. That may be the best way to go. Time to consider the options even tho it is with a heavy heart.-Misako

As you have the original stock, you can have it duplicated in what ever wood grade you desire. Bose's Guns in Emerson, Nebraska is the guy I use, but others around the country have duplicating machines that can make an exact copy of your stock from the blank of your choosing. Not cheap, but well worth it IMHO. Last one I did for a L469 was little over $600 checkered, sanded, & ready for me to apply the finish. Figure a checkering job is $175+. Blank was $200 & is absolutely gorgeous!! Rob Bose is a quality craftsman. Gun fit like a glove when he got done.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like my options are 1) find a replacement Sako stock from one of the auction/shooting sites, 2) Pick up a McMillan Stock (Sako Classic or Hunter - Stockys has them starting at $565) or 3) Get a custon repro/duplicate.

misako50 - yes, this is my dad's gun. I inherited a few guns from him, some I kept, others I knew I would never use and let go. This one I intend to keep and pass on, regardless of what I do with the stock issue. Perhaps not the most cost effective way to get back in the woods but that's how it goes. If necessary, I will just set it aside until I get enough funds to pick up a new stock. I have a couple of muzzleloaders that will get me through the deer firearms season. I use them most of the time anyway.

But first I will repair the stock I have and hope it holds up.

Thanks again,

Steve- I have an L579 Stock I can send you and you can send it back when you are not in need of it anymore. It has been repaired and has taken some good hits with some maximum loads and held up just fine. Nice thing about it is that if it gets damaged it isn't worth more than $43 bucks. I don't want anything for using it so let me know. A few hunting dings are not a problem either.-Misako

How bad and where is the crack/chip? You may be able to bed/repair (bedding glass works best for me) and put a recoil lug in or pin it. the finish will e ruined so, since it's a hunting rifle, paint the thing.
Also, check Stocky Stocks, another guy asked about the stock and I believe they have a few B&C in stock and you're correct the are not currently manufactured. If you get a B&C, certainly glass it in. I had a bad experience with my 243 in one.

GreyFox

Steve- I have an L579 Stock I can send you and you can send it back when you are not in need of it anymore. It has been repaired and has taken some good hits with some maximum loads and held up just fine. Nice thing about it is that if it gets damaged it isn't worth more than $43 bucks. I don't want anything for using it so let me know. A few hunting dings are not a problem either.-Misako

misako50, thanks very much for the offer of the stock. I might take you up on it if I cannot get my stock repaired. Even if I don't get it 100% I am pretty sure that I can make it serviceable. Will post my results after the repair attempt.

Repair seemed to go well.

P8190013_zps0ca482d3.jpg

Not invisible but looks pretty good. Used a dremel to give a little more space on the rear of the action and cleaned and sealed the wood with Arrow Wood Finnish. Will test out this weekend to see how it worked.
pencil.png

Back