• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Short Actions .17 Remington

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

gowyo

Sako Junkie
Who shoots a .17 Rem?

I’ve got an A1 Hunter in .17 Remington that I bought @ ‘91.

I have truly enjoyed the caliber. It is fun to shoot and works extremely well on varmints, up to and including coyotes. Accuracy is still satisfactory, but I can foresee the day when I may need to get it rebarreled. Has anybody here ever had a custom 17 caliber barrel made? My only experience is with Lothar Walther in .308. I’ve read good reports on Pacnor and Shilen. Just curious what experiences any of you have had..

I once owned an H&R Ultrawildcat in .17/223. Unlike the .17 Remingtons in the same gun, those were NOT barreled by Sako, but used whatever barrel H&R sourced. I could never get it to shoot well.

On the other hand, I was asked to zero a Sako AI in .17 Remington. For whatever reason the scope didn't align well with the barrel, so I had to bush the bases to get it to zero. However, once zeroed it exhibited very good accuracy.

But no, I've never tried rebarreling a .17 of any kind and really can't tell you what kind of life to expect -- although the little hole in them makes them a bugger to clean and maintain.

Kevinlg is our resident .17 guru so maybe he'll chime in here.

The only 17 I have is the Mach 2 rimfire, but I have been around & shot many of the 17 centerfires. As you know, the huge issue with them is they foul quickly & are a PIA to clean. My 20 cal wildcat barrels are Pac-Nors with 3 groove rifling that are the easiest cleaning barrels I have. If you rebarrel you might check with Pac-nor & see if they offer the 3 groove barrels in 17 cal. They also will match your contour so there is no barrel channel work. I've been very happy with all my Pac-nor barrels. It's easier & cheaper to just have Pac-nor install it. Workmanship is top notch.

Last edited:
Who shoots a .17 Rem?

I have truly enjoyed the caliber. It is fun to shoot and works extremely well on varmints, up to and including coyotes. Accuracy is still satisfactory, but I can foresee the day when I may need to get it rebarreled. Has anybody here ever had a custom 17 caliber barrel made? My only experience is with Lothar Walther in .308. I’ve read good reports on Pacnor and Shilen. Just curious what experiences any of you have had..
Gary........

I built this single-shot L461, chambered in a tight-necked 17-222 cartridge.

IIRC.....the 26" Pac-Nor barrel is a 3-groove, 9.0"twist. It shot 25. 27, and 30gr bullets very well.

I also used a 27" Pac-Nor barrel......same specs......for my 40XBR 17 Javelina. The original Shilen barrel lasted about 4000 rounds.......before throwing bullets sideways.

Hope this helps.
Sako-SS17-222.jpg

I have a custom Sako A1 with a Shilen barrel chambered in 17 Remington. It’s an excellent shooter.
Sounds nice........got some pics?

Long ago.....I traded for a Shilen barrelled AI in 17 Rem. that I rebuilt, refinished and recheckered.
17-Rem-Shilen-Fajen.jpg

With Berger 30FB Match bullets.......it works well on called coyotes.
Kevin-s-Yotes-12-03.jpg

Last edited:
Who shoots a .17 Rem?

A while back I did this same research and came to the same conclusion. Pacnor and Shilen would both a good choice.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back