• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako That darn bolt guide stop spring...

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Steven69

...on my L579 broke while I was disassembling the bolt guide. Are there any tricks for getting the bolt guide apart (and then together again) without breaking that spring? Thanks in advance!

Note........

Be absolutely SURE the spring/clip is oriented correctly, when the guide-bar is re-assembled.

Just a helpful hint to anyone reading this thread. The number one reason for bolt guide parts breaking is disassembling it. Unless a part is already broken there is absolutely no need to ever take it apart. The whole bolt & guide can be cleaned with solvents & compressed air or the aerosol spray gun cleaners just as effectively as taking it apart. These parts can be extremely difficult to locate, so why take the risk? The old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it" applies here. Just food for thought.

A fool and his broken bolt spring are soon parted.

I can't tell members too many times to soak their bolt in penetrating oil or kroil to cleanup and free up the internal bolt parts. Nothing gets broken or lost and there are no impossible to find parts to locate and purchase.

rick

The only reason I disassembled it is to have the metalwork black nitrided, which requires complete disassembly. I did apply penetrating oil in advance, but it was apparently insufficient. Looking at the way the whole thing goes together makes me wonder why they didn't just use a roll pin through the guide bar behind the retaining spring instead.

The diagram that marlin92 posted shows the parts perfectly.

The orientation of the clip CURVATURE is CRITICAL!!

And...yes....proper tools and knowledge aforethought are needed for this particular dis-assembly operation.

Some months ago, this problem was discussed at length over on the accuratereloading board. (Note: Here it is: https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/2981058842?r=8251050942#8251050942 ). Heck.....at the time....I even hinted back to a thread on THIS board.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Looking at the way the whole thing goes together makes me wonder why they didn't just use a roll pin through the guide bar behind the retaining spring instead.
That's how it's done on the L46. On newer designs they went with the spring. Maybe the spring is easier to assemble or can handle more recoil than the ~1 mm pin.

I've been reading up on making flat springs and it seems 1095 may be borderline because of slightly too much carbon. So I'm going to look for some stock in the 1050 -1070 range. It looks like the locking tab (square end of the spring) bends up (away from the spring recess in the bolt guide by maybe 10 degrees or so. As small as the spring is, I figure I only need about a teaspoon of oil each for the quench and draw stages. The accurateloading.com thread mentions using a shim instead of the spring. It may be that an imprecise spring winds up being more of a shim. I guess I'll find out ;)

Long ago I mentioned the possibility of using an old Rem 700 magazine spring as raw stock. Pick a proper curvature area, and cut it out. Further cutting/trimming should yield a nice clip/spring.

Hope this helps.

Back