• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

throat size for a 6ppc sako 75 varmint

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

dyno D

hi, i am having megga trouble getting cases to fit my sako 75 varmint 6ppc usa. i am resizing lapua 220 russian cases with a 0.265" neck sizing bush but the cases will not fit into my bullet seating die due to the neck size being too large. i find that if i try an unsized case it seats well into the die but when i use a resized case i find it will not fit properly into the die.
if i force the case into the seating die i only go 2-3mm and this measures 0.261" while the rest of the neck measures 0.271". first - is my throat size going to be 0.261" and second - do i need to reduce the necks on the cases. third - do i need to slug the chamber to find the correct size.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

It sounds as if your seating die's neck is too small. The necks of brass fired in my Sako A-I 6mm PPC using Sako brass measure .270" after firing, and .2675" before firing. So, assuming your Sako 6mm USA PPC is chambered the same as mine, a seater die which requires a neck diameter of .261" or under is way too tight.

The Sako "USA" version of the PPC uses a somewhat thicker neck than the typical benchrest version, so I think you've got benchrest dies rather than PPC-USA dies.

It sounds as if your seating die's neck is too small. The necks of brass fired in my Sako A-I 6mm PPC using Sako brass measure .270" after firing, and .2675" before firing. So, assuming your Sako 6mm USA PPC is chambered the same as mine, a seater die which requires a neck diameter of .261" or under is way too tight.

The Sako "USA" version of the PPC uses a somewhat thicker neck than the typical benchrest version, so I think you've got benchrest dies rather than PPC-USA dies.

thanks for the reply and i think you could be correct. i have just spoken to the person i bought the press/dies from and he says that he never used that bullet seating die. i will need to slug the breech and find out what the neck size is then have the die opened up to fit the case neck.

Instead of "slugging the breech", just put a caliper on a fired case. That is the dimension you're looking for.

thanks stonecreek but as of yet i have been unable to make any bullets to fire in the rifle and here all the ranges seem to shut for the winter so it will be 2017 before i fire a shot.

Can have reamed to a no turn 6mm ppc .274" neck, buy the 220 russian Lapua brass. Much easier reloading when there is not time and you just want to shoot. I am having mine done this way as I type this. Have 4 kids and no time to fine tune my reloads. I read alot about this and people are saying for varmint hunting, its plenty accurate at .274"

Can have reamed to a no turn 6mm ppc .274" neck, buy the 220 russian Lapua brass. Much easier reloading when there is not time and you just want to shoot. I am having mine done this way as I type this. Have 4 kids and no time to fine tune my reloads. I read alot about this and people are saying for varmint hunting, its plenty accurate at .274"
thanks for your reply webphut but i have just bought a 21st century lathe so i will see how that works out first. if no joy then i might consider your option.

I have that one. The mandrels don't seam as nice as the Sinclair mandrels but they work. Lube the lathe mandrel and also I found if I put case lube on the outside of necks before turning, they don't get as hot when I turn mine. I use RCBS case lube.

Latest posts

Back