• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Finally decided to part with my L461 Vixen .223 Deluxe

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Thanks for the replies! You guys have a ballpark?
You have to understand the market at present. People are paying stupid amounts of money for firearms right now. Who knows when this trend will end, if ever. So there is no "ball park" estimate of what your rifle is worth because as soon as you guess what it's worth some fool will offer you more. You have been given some great advice in the previous posts. Take that to heart & stop trying to figure out what your rifle is "worth" by what someone you don't know over the internet tells you. Do your due diligence & research & it's value will be apparent. A gun auction site will determine it's value in short order. Regardless, it's "value" is not going to change your lifestyle, so stop fretting over it.

You have to understand the market at present. People are paying stupid amounts of money for firearms right now. Who knows when this trend will end, if ever. So there is no "ball park" estimate of what your rifle is worth because as soon as you guess what it's worth some fool will offer you more. You have been given some great advice in the previous posts. Take that to heart & stop trying to figure out what your rifle is "worth" by what someone you don't know over the internet tells you. Do your due diligence & research & it's value will be apparent. A gun auction site will determine it's value in short order. Regardless, it's "value" is not going to change your lifestyle, so stop fretting over it.

Thanks for the pep talk Paul. I do understand the market at present. I've owned retail firearms dealership(s) for over a decade. I can easily go to any of the popular auction sites and get a ballpark price (like I do frequently). The reason I was asking here is because I thought that this being a specialized Sako forum, you guys may have the additional experience that I don't have with this specific model and may have a "better ballpark". This particular forum is called "Valuation Corner" isn't it? A fellow a forum member has made me an offer and I was hoping to sell it to him, but didn't want to go to auction if his price was fair. Sheesh!

Okay, we understand now why you need some kind of yardstick in order to evaluate an offer. I can only say this:

1. Your rifle appears to be in excellent condition.

2. The .223 chambering is generally in higher demand than other Vixen chamberings.

3. A Deluxe in .223 is scarce.

4. A Bofors-marked Deluxe in .223 is scarcer.

5. A Bofors-marked Deluxe in .223 with a front sight is scarcer still.

6. The presence or absence of a scope (other than highly marketable brands like Leupold or some of the European scopes) makes little difference in the market value.

7. None of this matters to a buyer who is simply a shooter, but makes the rifle very desirable to a Sako enthusiast who knows these things about it.

I would expect a Sako enthusiast who appreciates these qualities to offer at least $2,000. Some might be willing to offer more. If you have an offer less than this don't hesitate to contact me. I'm not making an offer or trying to undercut one of our SCC members as I already have an outstanding example of a Deluxe .223, just trying to provide some background for you.

By the way, even though your rifle might bring more than you are being offered here if listed on Gunbroker, their fees have risen to the point of being punitive, so be sure to take that into consideration when evaluating a private offer.

stonecreek. Thank you very much for this guide on pricing. I agree completely with every point that you made. Every Sako enthusiast should consider these points whether buying or selling. Of course, some considerations should apply depending on locations and market fluctuations. Sakojim.

You are (or were) asking a smattering of Sako "guys" to give you a ballpark figure. You have to realize we all have various and variable wants and needs. Someone that needs it will give you an idea and someone who wants it another. The person that doesn't want it, will more than likely, give you the lowest.

Okay, we understand now why you need some kind of yardstick in order to evaluate an offer. I can only say this:

1. Your rifle appears to be in excellent condition.

2. The .223 chambering is generally in higher demand than other Vixen chamberings.

3. A Deluxe in .223 is scarce.

4. A Bofors-marked Deluxe in .223 is scarcer.

5. A Bofors-marked Deluxe in .223 with a front sight is scarcer still.

6. The presence or absence of a scope (other than highly marketable brands like Leupold or some of the European scopes) makes little difference in the market value.

7. None of this matters to a buyer who is simply a shooter, but makes the rifle very desirable to a Sako enthusiast who knows these things about it.

I would expect a Sako enthusiast who appreciates these qualities to offer at least $2,000. Some might be willing to offer more. If you have an offer less than this don't hesitate to contact me. I'm not making an offer or trying to undercut one of our SCC members as I already have an outstanding example of a Deluxe .223, just trying to provide some background for you.

By the way, even though your rifle might bring more than you are being offered here if listed on Gunbroker, their fees have risen to the point of being punitive, so be sure to take that into consideration when evaluating a private offer.

Thank you for the detailed and informative response. That is exactly what I was looking for!

Back