• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Short Actions New Zealand Vixens

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
Attention Kiwis:

It seems that 50 standard Vixens were shipped to the "NZ Government" in March of 1972. All were in .222 Rem. Were these perhaps to be used for official culling operations? Does anyone have any track of what may have become of these Sakos?

Here's the shipping record:

Attachments

• NZ Vixens.pdf
    342 KB · Views: 24
Seem to recall all the Police ones got put up for tender so I think there are still the odd ones floating around...
Could well be be some went to govt hunters . Have a close friend who purchased a new sako vixen 222 and a 4 x kahles scope when they were offered though the NZ Forest Service back in the early 70,s.. He still has that rifle to this day...

Have a close friend who purchased a new sako vixen 222 and a 4 x kahles scope when they were offered though the NZ Forest Service back in the early 70,s
How about that? I wonder if this is the same set of .222's? You can check your friend's SN against those in the scan (enlarge it to read them more easily) to see if it is one of them.

How about that? I wonder if this is the same set of .222's? You can check your friend's SN against those in the scan (enlarge it to read them more easily) to see if it is one of them.

Will contact him and get the reciever number.... Will update you once I have it.

Will contact him and get the reciever number.... Will update you once I have it.
Pretty sure that consignment would have been to NZ Police for the (SWAT) Armed Offenders Squad.These replaced the previously issued aperture sighted Brno 601 in .223.Both were tendered off to the civilian market @ the end of their service life.The vixens were subsequently replaced by the current Bushmaster semi assault rifles in .223.

Pretty sure that consignment would have been to NZ Police for the (SWAT) Armed Offenders Squad.These replaced the previously issued aperture sighted Brno 601 in .223.Both were tendered off to the civilian market @ the end of their service life.The vixens were subsequently replaced by the current Bushmaster semi assault rifles in .223.

Attention Kiwis:

It seems that 50 standard Vixens were shipped to the "NZ Government" in March of 1972. All were in .222 Rem. Were these perhaps to be used for official culling operations? Does anyone have any track of what may have become of these Sakos?

More than likely went to the New Zealand Forest Service Stores board -when I joined NZFS as a culler in 1975 one could buy a Vixen .222 from them for $90 and a leupold scope for $60 - sadly this deal finished that year and NZFS stores board did not get any more in .Now Police NZ had .222 vixens as standard issue long rifle in 1960 ,s well prior to this shipment- then BRNO .223 and then Remington model sevens in .223 and then bushmasters in .223 to present day . The ex NZ police Vixens were sold to public as were the BRNOS -but the Remington's all vanished likely destroyed. ex NZFS vixens and ex police issue vixens come up for sale and now command top dollar . For example I bought a vixen (mint ) in 2010 for $600 nz now would likely get $3000 nz

Attention Kiwis:

In 1975 as I said in my last post NZFS stores board had them to onsell to cullers - one had to be in NZFS culling for six months first -after 6 months I said to my Field Officer okay I want a Vixen .222 and a Husqvarna .270 (then $170 from store ) He came back with all gone only Sportco .222 available .No one wanted those heaps of crap . I heard that many senior Field Officers knew of the Vixens demise and jumped on the remainder 2- 3 at a time and hoarded them - bloody stores board had a lot to awnser for- idiots replaced land drovers with wait for it Mahindra Mahindra jeeps from India -pure junk-and then one day there appeared in the yard a Toyota Land cruiser yeah ha ohhh yes- still the best 4x4

Barry the Husky you talked about from FS.Was that the 1600 controlled round feed model,or the later 1900 push feed model? Pretty sure it was the 1900.As you probably know CAC supplied ammo to NZFS,but aswell they where also the import agents for Huskys hence the connection. Sorry about the departure from Sako theme.

Barry the Husky .270 you mentioned from FS.Can you recall if it was the earlier 1600 controlled round feed model or the later 1900 push feed model? I believe it was the 1900.You no doubt know that CAC supplied ammo to FS,but they were also the import agents for Huskys hence the connection.Sorry to go off on a tangent away from the central Sako theme

Barry the Husky .270 you mentioned from FS.Can you recall if it was the earlier 1600 controlled round feed model or the later 1900 push feed model? I believe it was the 1900.You no doubt know that CAC supplied ammo to FS,but they were also the import agents for Huskys hence the connection.Sorry to go off on a tangent away from the central Sako theme
Cant help I never ever got my hands on one and dont know my Husky models that well - not one of us in our culling team got one and only our Boss got his mits on a vixen -ammo well as you know NZFS only supplied .222 .308 and .270 we got sako .222 and the .308 and .270 was in white packets of 20 labeled NZFS . I still have two packets of original 308 as mementos -some was head stamped NZFS and some was not - in 90,s and my last years with DOC managing hunters it was all federal .We also got some real crap for awhile until we moaned enough to get it replaced -some looked as if it had been reloaded from something else and bloody projectiles would fall out in ammo pouch

Cant help I never ever got my hands on one and dont know my Husky models that well - not one of us in our culling team got one and only our Boss got his mits on a vixen -ammo well as you know NZFS only supplied .222 .308 and .270 we got sako .222 and the .308 and .270 was in white packets of 20 labeled NZFS . I still have two packets of original 308 as mementos -some was head stamped NZFS and some was not - in 90,s and my last years with DOC managing hunters it was all federal .We also got some real crap for awhile until we moaned enough to get it replaced -some looked as if it had been reloaded from something else and bloody projectiles would fall out in ammo pouch
Yes, I've still got some CAC NZFS head stamped .270 boxes.As I understand that brass was internationally unique as being the only civilian ammo ever produced by any global manufacturer to wear a specific customer headstamp.Evidently of some prize value to intl cartridge collectors.Think that reloaded ammo was .223 Belmont in a plain blue box.I didn't have any problems with it myself

Attention Kiwis:

Interesting historical account Sako Vixens NZ police -in 1941 on West Coast of NZ a farmer became severely unhinged and shot 7 people many of them police -Stanley Graham went bush and was shot some days later -now around 2000 ish the New Zealand Television service made a documentary film of the events - Here were actors portraying police and all carrying yup Sako Vixens . I wondered at time where the hell the TV crews managed to get their hands on so many vixens . Also may not be exactly historically correct- in 1941 NZ police likely carried ex army .303 - but then in westerns if a .44 colt peacemaker can fire 10 rounds well anything possible . As NZ hunters we got our mits on ex Police Vixens many likely only fired 20 rounds

Yeah I remember when the ex NZ Police Vixens were sold off in the early 80's.Although all asking the same retail price,if you were lucky to get to pick the eyes out of the lot,you could get a honey likely retired from an obscure remote rural Police Stn (when we still had them back in the 80's) with an as new round count versus some very flogged out smooth bores that had a hard service life as trainers,etc in more urban Stns.Not unusual to have 5k plus round count.First in first served

Back