• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

What rifles other than sako's do you hunt with?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Rem 700 SS in 300 SAUM. Got one when they first came out and b4 they confined it to the Mod 7. Nice lightish and accurate versatile rifle. Seems to be better to work thru the action than the WSM due to shorter length and less sharp shoulder. Handloaded it does most everything from a 308 to 300 H&H [both of which I have in Sako Deluxes] with bullets up to 180g, and so use the Rem when the territory is likely to have a rifle meet some rough going.

My favorite hunting rifle is the accurate rifle, and since Sakos are notoriously accurate rifles I call them my favorites. But others are accurate as well and I enjoy carrying them too. Now when hunting in a tangle of brush or laurel I like my little Remington 600 Vent Rib in .308. No, it's not a quality rifle and yes, it is absurd in appearance, but it shoots as far as I can see when I'm in a thicket and that isn't real far. When shooting hundreds of yards over fields a favorite non-Sako of mine is a Ruger No.1 in .300 Roy. Another go-to is a Browning Safari in .284, a rifle I've owned for 40 years.

Colnel Townsend Whelan once said "Only accurate rifles are interesting." I learned of this in 1969 and have been repeating it since. The man was right. I got my first SAKO in 1969 and still own it. A deluxe 243. Have added a few to the pile over the years. But only ones that shot well were kept. I have an affinity for Remington 788's in 22 cal. I have an early 223, and 22-250, and recently picked up another later model w shorter barrel in 223. These rifles are incredible.

I did buy a couple Dickson Howa Golden Bears and made one into a 280, and traded the other for a Ruger 44 Super Blackhawk back in 71/72. I have more rifles than I can shoot but they are great to look at and appreciate for their fine workmanship.

D

I wasn't too sure if this is the right place to put this post but I was looking for a bit of information non Sako related. I purchased a Steyr Zephyr 22 today which will hopefully turn up in a week or 2. I was wondering if anyone has one and if so what scope mounts do you use. The rifle doesn't come with any and I am not too sure where to start looking.
I was hoping that a Sako owner may have a Zephyr stashed away in their collection somewhere who could help. Thanks.

Thankyou Marcus. By the looks of things I can't access the article online. If you track your copy down are you able to scan the article for me? If not I will see if I can order a back issue of it. They are an interesting little rifle and I have seen very few around over the years. It will be even more interesting when I get my hands on this one.

Interesting thread fellas, pretty much all my centerfire hunting is done with Sakos now days although I have a soft spot for older Brnos and Mausers.
My knock about gun for the small stuff is a paddle stock Ruger 77/22, hard to hurt it and serves a purpose at the very least. Not a pretty thing though :)
I've set up one of my old Lithgow Model 12 .22's for my son as a rabbit gun and he's putting it to good use.
For those not familiar the 'Lithgow Model 12' it is an Australian made rifle which was manufactured at the Small Arms Factory in Lithgow, New South Wales. Production of these began around 1947, no longer made but quite prolific here in Australia.
They have a reputation for fine accuracy, the ones I own are no exception, and I'm always on the look out for other good examples.

A pic of the young Lad with a rabbit for the pot.

image.jpg

Nice photo deersako, he is looking quietly pleased with himself. The only 22 I have used has been a 1951 Brno Model 1 and didn't think I would ever need another until this Zephyr appeared. I also have a 1949 Brno ZKW 465 in 22 Hornet that has been my mainstay for years. When the Zephyr arrives I will post a photo of it with my 1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer 6.5x54.

Thankyou Marcus. By the looks of things I can't access the article online. If you track your copy down are you able to scan the article for me? If not I will see if I can order a back issue of it. They are an interesting little rifle and I have seen very few around over the years. It will be even more interesting when I get my hands on this one.

Leave it with me.....

Marcus

I've set up one of my old Lithgow Model 12 .22's for my son as a rabbit gun and he's putting it to good use.
For those not familiar the 'Lithgow Model 12' it is an Australian made rifle which was manufactured at the Small Arms Factory in Lithgow, New South Wales. Production of these began around 1947, no longer made but quite prolific here in Australia.
They have a reputation for fine accuracy, the ones I own are no exception, and I'm always on the look out for other good examples.

Deersako, those Lithgow 22s are fine little rifles. I have the earlier Model 1B made for Slazenger - single shot, bolt action, open sights. An ideal first rifle for young lads - the single shot forces them to make the first shot count, and once fired the rifle is "safe". My younger son "owned" it and took it everywhere - even, as I have mentioned before, knocking over a chamois when he was 10 years old.

P1010953 crop (Small).JPG
P1010954 (Crop) (Small).JPG

I see on their website that the Lithgow Small Arms Factory Museum is researching these Slazenger single shot rifles (Model 1 1A & 1B) so if you have one of these they might like to hear from you. - David

Last edited:
G'day David, those little single shot Lithgows are a perfect gun for a young bloke, scaled just right and good for learning to shoot with open sights. My Grandfathers Model 1b was my first 'powder burner'
Lithgow still are manufacturing firearms as you are probably aware, and have released a new .22 rimfire rifle. There is certainly no charm about it, but apparently they shoot ok.

Deersako, I sent off the information on my Lithgow Slazenger Model 1B .22 to the Lithgow museum as requested on their website and I got a reply back just a few hours later that my rifle left the factory on 4th Nov 1949. Seems as if Lithgow kept far more accurate records than Sako ever did! - David

Ok, here are a few photos of mine.
image.jpg

From the top:

Brno Mod 2 .22
Ruger M77/17 .17hmr
Anschutz 1530-1532 .222
Sako A1 .222
Rem 700 BDL varmint .22-250
Parker Hale .243
Omark 7.62mm

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Marcus

I usually use my custom 98 mauser in 25-06 topped with a leopold 8x. Takes a beating over the last 30 years but still shoots great.

Good pics Marcus, I like the style of those Ruger 77/.17-.22's. Great little rifles.
Try as a might, I haven't been able to coax a fox into the whistle for months now, I know they go off this time of year but I'm usually luck with the odd one. Might invest in a Foxpro or the like and try my chances.

A bloke from work put me onto a secret for this time of year - the mouse squeaker. Compared to a Silva Fox or a button they don't seem very loud but they work. I bought one a month or so ago and have managed to shoot 2 foxes with it under the spotlight so far - one I called in, the other was high tailing out of there and I managed to get it to circle around and prop for a look.

Marcus

For small game my go to rifle is an Oregon S Series Kimber 22 Hornet and if I'm not shooting my L461 re barreled to 6x45 for local deer then I'm shooting a 7-08 Encore or a Pre 64 M70 300 H&H.

If I get out this year as I hope to, I'm going to use a Ruger American saddle rifle, 16", 1:7 RH twist, suppressed, in .300 Blackout. I'm in a club that has a lot of land for trap and range shooting as well as hunting deer. Nice set-up and lot's of 8 point and more bucks coming out of there every year. Don't think I'll see a shot over 200 yds.

S-A

Latest posts

Back