• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

The Sako 7x57 Mannlicher now on Gunbroker

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/801132056

The Sako A-V 7x57 Mannlicher we've been discussing on this thread https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/whoa-7x57-finnbear-mannlicher.13896/ is now up on Gunbroker.

The dealer who has it told me it would start Sunday night at 8PM EST and run seven days, ending 3-3-2019 at 8PM EST. He said that he took his time in putting it on the market in order to research as much as possible into its origin. The serial number verifies that it was sold in the Rock Island auction as one-of-one in 1996, then again through Cabela's to a man in Texas from which the dealer obtained it.

I've seen and handled it (carefully!) and can attest that it is as perfect as they come. I won't be bidding on it since I have just committed to buy a 28 gauge Merkel SxS and will have to extract some gold from my teeth to meet that obligation, but someone is going to get a REALLY rare Sako for their collection.

Thanks for the heads up Stone. I will not be bidding on the Sako either. I've got my eye on a 20ga. Browning Superlight O/U Exhibition with fake sideplates. But I don't have any gold teeth.....will you have any left over you can spare? A few years back I really wanted a Merkel 280SL with the real Holland and Holland sidelocks and beautiful Turkish walnut. It's one of the few guns that I really wanted and didn't buy that I regret.

If you watch the 24Hourcampfire, nothing is too big for it because W.D.M. (Koramajo) Bell killed hundreds of elephants with one. I have gotten tired of the Campfire and their unified acceptance of small cartridges on big game.

The 7X57 in my book is a great medium sized game cartridge such as deer and antelope...

Do a search for Karamjo Bell. He killed hundreds, if not thousands, of elephants in the late 1800's using his 7X57mm Mauser / .275 Rigby. Quit a good read when you find the right articles. I remember reading about him years ago.

If you watch the 24Hourcampfire, nothing is too big for it because W.D.M. (Koramajo) Bell killed hundreds of elephants with one. I have gotten tired of the Campfire and their unified acceptance of small cartridges on big game.

The 7X57 in my book is a great medium sized game cartridge such as deer and antelope...
great answer Kirkbridgershooters! I've read that it compares somewhat to a 270

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._D._M._Bell

I answered out of memory and was off a little on the date. Actually start hunting elephant in early 1900's. After reading of him when I was younger I picked up a very nice FN Belgion Mauser in 7X57 in the early 70's. I took several deer with it using home rolled gas checked lead bullets. Recoil and noise were tame compared to most of the"modern" rounds of today.

a special rifle - what's the largest big game animal suitable for a 7x57?
It's true that Bell killed a jillion or so elephants with his 7x57, but just about any "full sized" cartridge from 6.5 on up with a long, heavy non-expanding bullet will take an elephant with a brain shot.

More important to most hunters is how large of a non-dangerous species is a 7x57 suited to. While Jack O'connor loved his .270 (and also often used a .30-06 on antlered game), his wife Eleanor most frequently used her 7x57 on their hunts together. She took plenty of elk and moose with the caliber.

I've read that it compares somewhat to a 270
While the two cartridges produce similar energy in terms of foot-pounds, they are traditionally loaded and used in somewhat different ways.

The .270 is most often loaded with a lighter bullet -- 130 grains -- at a velocity over 3,000 fps and is well-adapted to longer range light to medium game. The 7x57 is traditionally loaded with heavier bullets in the 160 to 175 grain range in the low to mid-2000's of fps, so it is better suited to closer range shooting, and maybe a bit larger game.

However, their roles can be reversed with appropriate handloading. You can load a .270 with 150 to 160 grain bullets at 2800 fps or so while you can push a 7x57 with a 120 to 130 grain bullet up to the 3,000 fps range for a longer range/lighter game load.

Bottom line: If I'm shooting at a mule deer across a canyon at 300 yards the .270 is typically the better option. If stalking kudu in the dense brush of a river bottom then a fast-handling carbine like this Sako 7x57 shooting a heavier bullet would be the ticket.

1825.00 (so far) I don't envision this one being carried, crawling through the willows in the creek bottom looking for whitetail.

And the sad part is, this won't really tell you what a "One of a Kind" is actually worth. Who has the thickest wallet. At least the buyer won't have to pay a 15% buyers fee.....probably will never even know how it shoots.

This aggressive early bidding is real interesting to me. Of the Gun Broker bidding I've done or watched, which in the scheme of things is a very small number, there's usually a few small bids early on then bidding almost stops until the last few hours of bidding and the bidders become aggressive. If bidding stays aggressive for the entire bidding period, it's going to be real interesting.

I'm still in it, but I never tip my hand by bidding early. I am fairly sure it will go above my limit, but we will see by how much. I can tell you this much - if I get lucky, it will be fired.

If I get it, rest assured it WILL be fired.

That's the LAW here in Georgia.

When you purchase a gun, new or used, you must fire at least 3 rounds through it just to make sure it works - BEFORE YOU TAKE THAT GUN INTO YOUR DOMICILE.
Usually with handguns we just pull over on the side of the road and roll the window down, LOL

Yes, that's a joke - Redneck Law 101.

It is now $1925 with 10 bids and 5 days left. I hope that one of our members gets is the last bidder.

Back