• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

The Sako 7x57 Mannlicher now on Gunbroker

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I have no problem with your preference to shoot and enjoy your guns. That's why I started my post saying my comments applied to me and not to you guys because I believe most of you on this site do prefer to shoot your guns and might think I was trying to convince you not to. And that's not the case. But for me, I like to do both, shoot and collect, so I can have my cake and eat it too. The good thing about my way is it makes me buy more guns and I need every reason I can come up with to help me convince the wife. I argue with myself all the time trying to convince myself to shoot some of my 1 of 1 guns, but for some reason I can't win that argument. Good luck bidding and I hope you or some other person on here wins that great 7x57. I just don't need another 1 of 1.

I have no problem with your preference to shoot and enjoy your guns. That's why I started my post saying my comments applied to me and not to you guys because I believe most of you on this site do prefer to shoot your guns and might think I was trying to convince you not to. And that's not the case. But for me, I like to do both, shoot and collect, so I can have my cake and eat it too. The good thing about my way is it makes me buy more guns and I need every reason I can come up with to help me convince the wife. I argue with myself all the time trying to convince myself to shoot some of my 1 of 1 guns, but for some reason I can't win that argument. Good luck bidding and I hope you or some other person on here wins that great 7x57. I just don't need another 1 of 1.
Both sides of the debate have validity. Which is why your respectful back and forth with icebear makes for great reading. Both opinions are 100% correct. Folks will look at the discussion and have reasons why they’d shoot, while others would reason, then decide not to shoot. I personally fully respect either. More importantly, I respect the responsible manner in which the opinions are being debated. In some discussion forums this debate would have become NEGATIVE and personal, kinda like the mass disfunction you see in today’s politics.

Icebear: When it comes to what gun to buy and how much to pay for it, it boils down to what an item is worth to an individual. For you (and largely for me, too), you are somewhat more interested in a gun you can shoot than in one which stays wrapped in a preservation sack in the back of a safe. Others may buy guns that they intend never to shoot and would find it scandalous to fire an unfired gun (well, actually there's no such thing as an unfired gun, but that's for another discussion).

Other factors play into buying decisions. I had a Marlin Model 57 "Levermatic" as my first .22 rifle. It was magical the way it never missed with the steady hands and sharp eyes of a kid in control. As a 13 year-old I won a turkey shoot with it. But in a few years, as the attention span of a youngster is short, I foolishly sold it and have pined for it ever since. So, a couple years ago I came across a pristine Model 57 and probably paid $100 over market for it simply because it was worth that to me. I'm sure others have had similar experiences.

Whoever the "last man standing" in the auction for the 7x57 Mannlicher, it will be someone for whom the rifle is worth it to them.
I can't say whether it will taper off in the two-thousands and go to a "shooter" or will soar into the five-thousands and go to a dedicated "collector". It all depends on who is paying attention and how they perceive it. Whatever the price, it will be "worth it" to the buyer.
What it boils down to is a lot of hype over a false claim of 1 of 1. To base truth on the words of a auction house is nothing short of a sophmoric decision.

POW,
False claim, how do you really know? Let’s say the other rifle exists. Let’s say for the sake of debate it’s all original. From what I’ve read and understand it’s been well used and has lots of visible imperfections This might mean there are two rifles. There is a lot here we really don’t know or have proof of.

Here’s the difference.

Truth, simply put. The one at auction is pristine with the box and papers. Obviously the rarity cannot be debated. The seller has apparently done extensive research as has several others with countless years of experience, to represent this rifle as accurately as possible. Based on this, I’d say this rifle is one of a kind, as stated.

Sophomoric is to think otherwise.

Last edited:
POW,
False claim, how do you really know? Let’s say the other rifle exists. Let’s say for the sake of debate it’s all original. From what I’ve read and understand it’s been well used and has lots of visible imperfections This might mean there are two rifles. There is a lot here we really don’t know or have proof of.

Here’s the difference.

Truth, simply put. The one at auction is pristine with the box and papers. Obviously the rarity cannot be debated. The seller has apparently done extensive research as has several others with countless years of experience, to represent this rifle as accurately as possible. Based on this, I’d say this rifle is one of a kind, as stated.

Sophomoric is to think otherwise.
I know one of one is false because in May of 2014 a young man from South Africa posted about his fathers 7 x 57 mannlicher on this site.

Next as a former factory rat, a factory of hundreds of employees never makes just one of a kind, for anyone but the CEO.
Stoneceek is standing on the BS of Rock Islands propaganda.

Auction houses will try to pump up any product to get a higher bid. And if they get caught they simply kill that auction pleading ignorance.

This kind of personal invective against a member does not belong on this site. Period. Ever.

Thank You icebear!:)

Since I took over this forum many years ago, we have strived to always keep a good tone here and I hope we can keep it that way.

So to all, choose your words carefully and never write a post when feeling the slightest of agitation.

Jim

Countdown begins, 13 hours left on auction, been holding for a few days at $1925,

11 bids thus far.....

I think it'll go around $2600, any guesses/predictions?

We should have done a pool, guess the final selling price

Considering the Price Elasticity of Demand, I am actually surprised it's not significantly higher already - considering how rare it is - if you plug 1 as the quantity and use any price change you get the same answer "Priceless".

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I am actually surprised it's not significantly higher already
It's running about like I expected it would. The dealer told me he thought it would stop after 24 hours at about $1,500 and I guessed it would stop just short of $2,000, so I won that guessing contest. Most auctions receive some "tentative" bids in the first day, then they just sit there without moving until about the last hour before they expire. The real action usually happens in the last twenty minutes or so.

As to where it stops, who knows? But a nice L46 .218 Bee will easily bring over $3,000 and there were several hundred of them made.

Just checked and the bid has jumped to $3525, with seven hours to go. I think we are seeing the beginning of the scenario I suggested a few days ago - two or more deep-pocketed collectors in a contest less for the prize itself than for the status of being the winner of the prize. On the other hand, the winner may have tipped his hand early, but I doubt it. It's going to be interesting.

My humble comment is that however it ends the ultimate winner will be whoever has the strongest ego backed by the deepest pockets. No derogatory inflection meant. I respectfully hope that the winner is someone who has the deepest intentions of preserving this very valuable example of a Sako one of a kind (or two) for future posterity. Who knows, maybe it may some day end up at the origin of its beginning- the Sako factory museum. Sakojim.

$3525 final. That's about in the middle of the range I had guessed. Congrats to the winner!

Sold, at $3525. Perhaps surprisingly, there was no last-minute bidding. The final bump was seven hours before the auction ended. I'd say the price was high but not totally off the planet. I didn't bid; I had decided that if it went over $3000, I was going to have a serious discussion with myself as to whether it was worth it to me. It wasn't. Congratulations to the new owner. Treat it well.

I believe this is the first time I have ever seen a high interest item not have any last minute bidding. If the buyer is from Texas, he'll have to pay 8.25% sales tax. That will push the cost to just over $3800 for a Texan.

I was also watching the 26" barrel Deluxe 264 with the moose floorplate on Gun Broker. It went with 1 bid at the opening price of $2499.

I think it found a good home. Will be amongst family & deservedly exercised 2 times so far with good results.
B4C9B706-1366-4A3D-B2D8-26E599254C49.jpeg DC34B0C7-209E-4BF5-9DAA-11766488070D.jpeg * photos posted earlier in 2021 & 2022 under Sako’s Afield, but found this conversation from 2019 on this specific 7X57 & wanted to assure it is being respected & used as intended. It’s value was based on rarity as well as the 7X57 being a preferred classic field caliber to me. Thank you & cheers.

A truly fantastic field caliber. Way before the 7-08 was even a dream. My FN Mauser shoots hard cast gas checked170's lights out and kills just as well. Very nice rifle to have in your collection.

When I first saw those hunting photos I wondered if that was the same rifle from the auction. I'm glad to see it found a good home. I was seriously looking at placing a bid but ultimately decided to let it go. After seeing the photos of that spectacular buck, I think the rifle has found its true vocation. Onward.

Latest posts

Back