• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L579 Sporter Records results

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I received my records today for my L579 Forester .243
Serial # 47403
Inspected: 26 Oct. 1966, .243 Winchester Standard Sporter
Shipped in a Lot of 234 similar rifles to Firearms International on 21, Nov. 1966

Here are some pictures, it is in really good shape and only a couple small unnoticeable scratches!
It is very nice figuring in the stock considering it is not a deluxe model.
Sako 243 (1).jpg Sako 243 (2).jpg Sako 243 (3).jpg Sako 243 (7).jpg Sako 243 (6).jpg Sako 243 (8).jpg Sako 243 (9).jpg

Someone just used a fill in paint stick on it. You can get them in either White or Gold.

No, you can buy the paint sticks and do it yourself.

You can remove it with fingernail polish remover I am told but you might want to goggle this to see.

That’s just about the perfect rifle. I like the color of the wood, double border on the checkering, grip cap, “S” magazine release and Bofors barrel. Sako was in their prime when they were making these rifles...
Bridge,
Yes, I thought so too. I have been wanting one for quite a while. I scoped the barrel with a digital bore scope, there was just a hint of very fine alligator cracking in the throat, which means it has been fired a decent amount, but not shot out either. I will go put some 100gr Hornady SP's through it this weekend I suspect. I was wondering if the peep site was from the factory(I think I have read here that they are not manufactured by SAKO but installed as an option when ordering? Is that correct or just speculation?
Thanks!

No, you can buy the paint sticks and do it yourself.

You can remove it with fingernail polish remover I am told but you might want to goggle this to see.
Best to pick it out with a tooth pick or similar. Mine has been easy to get out on a couple guns I bought with it. Mine may have been white grease pencil.

The paint stick is usually some kind of lacquer, so lacquer thinner is good for getting it off. As I recall, denatured alcohol might work too. A toothbrush or toothpick is good for scrubbing it out. Nail polish remover will work too, but that's acetone and I don't like using that stuff if I don't have to, because it's quite strong and if you spill a drop on finished wood or (especially) plastic, it can damage what it hits.

My Finnwolf has the gold. I can't see this being a trend for end users. I would think it was either a dealer or importer doing this maybe even at the factory.

Military collectors use paint sticks quite a bit to make markings more visible, especially when they are selling a gun. I've done that on several of my Finnish Mosin Nagants, as well as a Ruger revolver that has some engraving on the cylinder.

IMG_2610.jpg If your Finnwolf is Sako Collector edition then that was factory done in the gold. Other wise someone probably applied it.

I have the same rifle #517**, its not quite as pristine but close. I happened into it helping a widowed neighbor liquidate her late husbands rifles. This is one I kept and finally got it out shooting for the first time. I had good luck with Federal Fusion 95gr ammo. I shot a .45 3 shot group and the ammo chronod 2900 fps MV.

Back