• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Vixen Mannlicher

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Tracy Redpath

Well after thinking about it for a week i pulled the trigger on this (pun intended). You guys said i needed it and who am i to argue with that. Traded a few guns in for the .222 mag. And after hearing me complaining that Leupold doesn't make glossy scopes anymore he looks in his gunsmiths Stash of scopes and hands it to me and says Merry Christmas. A question for you guys is who knows the twist rate of a L461 Vixen 1-10,12,14 wondering if these bullets will stabilize .TIA. DSC02371.JPG Gun on top is a A1 Deluxe in .222 Remington DSC02369.JPG DSC02370.JPG

Looks like you did get the carbine version. If you can't find any original Sako rings, go with the Leopold rings. Those optilocs are just to big and clunky looking. Did you talk him down any on price? Nice looking rifle by the way.

Looks like you did get the carbine version. If you can't find any original Sako rings, go with the Leopold rings. Those optilocs are just to big and clunky looking. Did you talk him down any on price? Nice looking rifle by the way.
Yes he did come down in price

Nice looking rifle, and makes a great pair with the Deluxe. Looks like what you need now is a set of original type Sako high rings - that adjustable objective looks too big for the medium. Or if you want QD so you can play with the iron sights, look around for a secondhand set of Warne QD rings. Discontinued, but you can find them on eBay or Gunbroker, or various online bulletin boards.

IIRC, the twist on the Sako 222's is 1 in 14" or the metric equivalent. You can just measure it to be certain. All you need is a cleaning rod, tight patch, & a measuring tape. A 10 twist "might" stabilize the Hornady 68 Gr. BTHP, but I know for certain a 9 twist will at 223 velocities. Your Sakos will perform much better with traditional weight bullets or even with the newer 40 gr. plastic tipped pills than the heavy stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: FLT
I looked up twist ratios on something yesterday and it said most .22 caliber rifles are 1 in 14. So i figured 55-60 is tops

I looked up twist ratios on something yesterday and it said most .22 caliber rifles are 1 in 14. So i figured 55-60 is tops
A 14 twist will struggle to stabilize some of the very long boat-tail plastic tipped bullets of 55 grains or more at 222 velocities. Regular cup & core 55 grainers should work fine. Remember it's length & velocity, not weight, that determines twist requirements. Standard twist for the 222 Rem is 14. The SAAMI spec for the 223 Rem is 12, but many guns come from the factory with a 9 twist because of the "heavy" bullet insanity currently in vogue. The Hornet was a 16 twist, the Swift was 14, & the 22-250 came with a 12 & 14 depending on the maker. It's always a good idea to measure each rifle.

Back