• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Ammunition Origin of current Sako brass?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
I'm wondering if anyone knows of the source of the brass used in Sako's current line of ammunition.

The reason I ask is that I ran across an ad from an individual who lists a large quantity of .300 Win Mag ammunition as being "made by Sako in Norma brass".

I know that Sako used to make its own brass, and I assumed that they still do. However, it is certainly possible that they may be outsourcing as many manufacturers do. Still, I'm wondering if the seller is accurate in stating that the brass is from Norma. After all, Norma is located in Western Sweden near the small town of Amotfors across the Baltic Sea from Sako in Finland. It would make more sense, if Sako were not using its own brass, to source from Lapua, which is nearby.

So, does anyone know?

From all indications on Sako's website, they make their own brass. They rave about it's quality & have pictures , magnified thru a microscope, showing the smaller grain structure of their brass, compare to others, & claims how that enhances it's reloadability. At least from their advertising, it appears they make all their own brass & bullets, but I have no way of confirming that. Lapua, Vitavhouri & Berger Bullets are all owned by the same company, so I'm not sure how outsourcing to a direct competitor would work out. I do know that Norma makes Nosler brass, so a Sako connection could also be possible. After watching the film on the Sako site about their ammo making process, I'm leaning towards Sako still making their own brass. They could outsource certain calibers, say to Norma, for rounds they aren't tooled up for or to meet order demands, as well.

Yes, they do their own brass, and I watched the process last summer when I was at the factory.

But I can’t say with one hundred percent they make all calibers.

Will check with my contact ASAP.

Jim

Thanks, guys. You've confirmed what I thought.

Seems like a lot of people when trying to sell something will simply say something about it which they think makes it attractive -- regardless of whether it has any basis in fact. Norma brass has a reputation as being of high quality, so I guess the guy just threw that out there thinking it made the ammunition more attractive. (By the way, the only Norma brass I've used was definitely softer in the head than is typical and allowed the primer pockets to expand with loads which were otherwise sustainable in other makes of brass.)

At any rate, unless as Paulson speculates Sako for some reason needed to temporarily outsource brass of a particular caliber, then my best guess is that it is all "home grown". (Another "by the way" -- all of the Sako brass I've used is top notch and tolerates full power loads for many cycles. Given the choice I would take Sako -- and Lapua -- brass over Norma every time.)

I have 2 boxes of sako brass for 300win mag (50 cases per box) that were purchased new approx 12 months ago. On average the cases in 1 box weigh 46 grains more than the cases in the 2nd box which are 46grains lighter.... You can actually feel the weight difference in your hand.....

I wrote to the seller of the ammunition and asked him where the information that the brass was from Norma came from. His response was

Stonecreek,
When I bought this ammo from Beretta, I called and asked them. I am repeating what they told me.

Whether whoever responded on behalf of "Beretta" knew what he was talking about is another question, but the seller is obviously working with the best information he has.

I would find it hard to believe that Sako brass is Norma. I have had both at the same the same time shooting my 6mm PPC and found the Norma to be better brass.

I am now shooting 400 rounds of Norma 22PPC and 50 Sako, and so far am planning on using both as long as the Sako keeps up with the Norma.

I would find it hard to believe that Sako brass is Norma. I have had both at the same the same time shooting my 6mm PPC and found the Norma to be better brass.
Let me specify that it's be a long time since I've used any Norma brass and the issue with soft heads may be a thing of the past. Shooters say very positive things about the current Norma brass.

Sako has brass making capabilities & can & does make it's own brass. However, it wouldn't surprise me that for some calibers they may sub-contract other companies to provide brass that they aren't tooled up to make or to meet demand at times. Norma makes Nosler brass & probably for others as well. It's not so much who makes the brass, but the metallurgy of the brass that makes them display different properties that some prefer for reloading.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of the source of the brass used in Sako's current line of ammunition.

The reason I ask is that I ran across an ad from an individual who lists a large quantity of .300 Win Mag ammunition as being "made by Sako in Norma brass".

I know that Sako used to make its own brass, and I assumed that they still do. However, it is certainly possible that they may be outsourcing as many manufacturers do. Still, I'm wondering if the seller is accurate in stating that the brass is from Norma. After all, Norma is located in Western Sweden near the small town of Amotfors across the Baltic Sea from Sako in Finland. It would make more sense, if Sako were not using its own brass, to source from Lapua, which is nearby.

So, does anyone know?
Now we have discovered from where Sako brass is birthed, another question or two come to mind. Is Sako brass available from any source in the world, loaded or otherwise? I have checked Sako dealer sites and find nothing but ammo for the .609 Pantysnapper to the 11x60 Beespit, but no .222. Rem. I am relative certain Sako slipped more than a couple .222s out the door, but no ammunition for support.
Mayhaps I am pursing that brown-eyed girl. Posted earlier classifidedly seeking a Sako sling swivel. Nothing, and nothing likely either. Well, I now have a swivel of my own for sale. Open to trades involving Sako .222 brass or ammunition.

Stephen

Now we have discovered from where Sako brass is birthed, another question or two come to mind. Is Sako brass available from any source in the world, loaded or otherwise? I have checked Sako dealer sites and find nothing but ammo for the .609 Pantysnapper to the 11x60 Beespit, but no .222. Rem. I am relative certain Sako slipped more than a couple .222s out the door, but no ammunition for support.
Mayhaps I am pursing that brown-eyed girl. Posted earlier classifidedly seeking a Sako sling swivel. Nothing, and nothing likely either. Well, I now have a swivel of my own for sale. Open to trades involving Sako .222 brass or ammunition.

Stephen
Well, I finally found Sako stamped .222 brass in Australia and they do not ship. Did not say would not, so will pursue further and report back.
Stephen

Well, I finally found Sako stamped .222 brass in Australia and they do not ship. Did not say would not, so will pursue further and report back.
Stephen

I'd be surprised if they won't post them to you, you'll need to contact them and ask. Most Australian gunshops are pretty obliging, but I imagine the amount of exports they do could be counted on 1 hand, so their websites are not going to be set up to cater for those sales. As far as I know there are no restrictions on sending un-primed brass out of Australia. Any import/customs paperwork and charges going into the USA would naturally be your problem.

If the gunshop won't send them for some reason, I'd be happy to post them to you (assuming no restrictions), as would other Aussie members on here. If you're having problems, please send me a PM.

Cheers
Piper

Sako ammunition and components have been sporadically imported to the U.S. from time to time in the past, usually by someone other than the importer for their rifles. Looking at earlier posts in this thread it appears that the current rifle importer, Beretta USA, has imported at least some Sako ammunition, but to my knowledge they haven't bothered with components. Beretta USA (the importing company) has been famously unresponsive to customer inquiries and requests.

Reactions: FLT
I'd be surprised if they won't post them to you, you'll need to contact them and ask. Most Australian gunshops are pretty obliging, but I imagine the amount of exports they do could be counted on 1 hand, so their websites are not going to be set up to cater for those sales. As far as I know there are no restrictions on sending un-primed brass out of Australia. Any import/customs paperwork and charges going into the USA would naturally be your problem.

If the gunshop won't send them for some reason, I'd be happy to post them to you (assuming no restrictions), as would other Aussie members on here. If you're having problems, please send me a PM.

Cheers
Piper
Piper,
Wow, thanks for the kind offer. I only made one Australian approach, but will try a few more prior to calling backup. Not sure why the notion of Sako head stamped brass appeals to me. One of the symptoms, I guess.
Yours,
Stephen

Just a brief correction re Nosler brass. Norma no longer makes Nosler brass. Nosler bought a company that makes brass and now produces their own.

Cheers
Piper
Out of curiosity, I contacted a gun shop in Queensland, The Barn. They told me that they don't ship brass out of the country. I wonder whether that's universally true of Australian gun sources.

Well the plot thickens!
There may be an obscure Australian Federal Government requirement to get an export permit. Supposedly free and easy to get, but requires about 20 pages of information including detailed personal information of sender & receiver.
Got to keep those 222 Rem cases away from the Terrorists!!

Only 1 dealer I've spoken to has suggested this, others said "post them yourself ".
I've emailed the Federal Govt. Department today and await a response.

It's the first I've heard of it, esp. as other shooters I know and myself have posted brass cases out of Aus, and no one has been stopped or questioned; so our Federal & State anti-gun laws are working well (not!).

Apart from that, a dealer I spoke to today said Beretta Aus is out of stock of Sako 222 Rem cases, but the next shipment is due in next month, at $130 Aus per 100. Which I think is a pretty good price here for top quality brass. Lapua 222 is on special at present with one of the major sellers for $125/100, normally $162/100. Most other shops are roughly $200/100, and Remington 222 brass is $95/100.

You'd have to really want these Sako cases as the cost gets ugly. Say 2 boxes, AUD$260, plus postage & insurance - approximately AUD$140; that's a total of $400 Australian, which roughly works out at $280 US; or USD$140 per 100.

Looking online, you can buy Lapua 222 Rem cases for USD$58/100 off Brownells.

If you're still interested, please send me a PM and we can chat further.

Cheers
Piper

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back