• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Where are all the CCI primers?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Chris Anderson

I've been looking high and low for some CCI #BR4 primers for some 22 Hornet loads, but no luck. I spent lots of time googling and checking all my usual shooting sports businesses. Lots of places list that primer but they're all Out of Stock :(. I found a few places in Canada that have some BR#4's but they can't ship to the US.

Anyone have an idea where I might find some #BR4 primers?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks marlin92 (I should have thought to look there <sigh>).

Phew!

$129 + $38.50 Haz-Mat charge + UPS shipping charges for 1,000 primers! Boy have things changed since the last time I bought primers. I bought several thousand primers when I started reloading so it's been a long time (probably 25 years) but the price range I remember is $20 - $30 for 1,000.

It would be really nice to just buy a couple of hundred until I see if they make my loads shoot really good but the none of stores around have any on the shelf (according to their web page inventory). Maybe I'll call around to a few and check that their web inventory is accurate.

But at least I know I can get them at GB. Thanks for your help marlin92.

Chris

It's doubtful that the CCI BR4 would make any detectable difference in your Hornet. Sometimes small pistol primers (non-magnum) will tighten a Hornet's velocity spreads and groups. One brand is about as good as another.

Primers will eventually be cheap again. Bide your time.

It's doubtful that the CCI BR4 would make any detectable difference in your Hornet. Sometimes small pistol primers (non-magnum) will tighten a Hornet's velocity spreads and groups. One brand is about as good as another.

Primers will eventually be cheap again. Bide your time.

use federal small pistol primers for all my hornets, exp the 17hornet.

I bought several thousand-count bricks when I started reloading, except mine are all CCI and Remington. :(
I'm in Utah.

Thanks
Well in my experience the CCI 400 is basically equal in performance to CCI BR4.

I’m shooting mostly BR4 because I developed a few loads on them. It could just as easily been Rem 7-1/2 or CCI 400. I doubt you’re missing much.

David

Which leads me to ask. "How come CCI-BR4 primers are nowhere to be found in the US but there are several places in Canada that have them in stock and ready to ship?"(they can't ship to the US :()

That makes no sense to me.

Thanks

Canadian retailers had an inventory of most primer types that was eventually exhausted by early 2021. As of this writing, almost three years later, Canadians had no primers available at all until just a few weeks ago. Nearly two and a half years without any primers; there are still no large rifle magnum primers and heaven knows when we will ever see this product. People are paying $350+/1000 at auction for large rifle match and magnum primers!

USA import laws prohibit the cross border sale of ammunition components from Canada - talk to your legislators before blaming Canadians. I work part-time at a Canadian firearms retailer, we often get inquiries from USA customers who then become abusive when told we cannot legally ship to America. Sorry friend, yell at your congressman - not at me.

Last edited:
Canadian retailers had an inventory of most primer types that was eventually exhausted by early 2021. As of this writing, almost three years later, Canadians had no primers available at all until just a few weeks ago. Nearly two and a half years without any primers; there are still no large rifle magnum primers and heaven knows when we will every see this product. People are paying $350+/1000 at auction for large rifle match and magnum primers!

USA import laws prohibit the cross border sale of ammunition components from Canada - talk to your legislators before blaming Canadians. I work part-time at a Canadian firearms retailer, we often get inquiries from USA customers who then become abusive when told we cannot legally ship to America. Sorry friend, yell at your congressman - not at me.
This is a three year old thread! I think primers are a more available now.

Primers in Australia now, at least from the major brands, Winchester, Federal and CCI are not available and have not been so for months, maybe some sizes for up to 2 years.
There are some made in Argentina !!? that have been able to get. Why???
ADI powder for pistol and shotguns has not been available for close to 2 years, and I believe Winchester will no longer bring their powders here. Alliant no stock, and my never see again, and I think we will never see Vihtouvri again!!? Either.
I have seen powder being sold online from private People’s stock for over $500 plus per kg. And more!!!!
As for the cross border sales, from what I have seen over the years, when ever Australia signs a “ free trade agreement” with other countries some things get harder and more expensive to get!?
I know that some optic brands can not be bought from the US anymore, where as little as 5-10 years ago I could buy popular brand scopes and other firearms gunsmith/ workshop related parts very easily!!
I think when things free up (hope) there Will be a shortage again, as everything will be bought up ASAP.
Jay

Global strategy seems to be geared to restrict and complicate all things related to individual firearm ownership. Just look at the rest of the civilized countries.

Primers in Australia now, at least from the major brands, Winchester, Federal and CCI are not available and have not been so for months, maybe some sizes for up to 2 years.
There are some made in Argentina !!? that have been able to get. Why???
ADI powder for pistol and shotguns has not been available for close to 2 years, and I believe Winchester will no longer bring their powders here. Alliant no stock, and my never see again, and I think we will never see Vihtouvri again!!? Either.
I have seen powder being sold online from private People’s stock for over $500 plus per kg. And more!!!!
As for the cross border sales, from what I have seen over the years, when ever Australia signs a “ free trade agreement” with other countries some things get harder and more expensive to get!?
I know that some optic brands can not be bought from the US anymore, where as little as 5-10 years ago I could buy popular brand scopes and other firearms gunsmith/ workshop related parts very easily!!
I think when things free up (hope) there Will be a shortage again, as everything will be bought up ASAP.
Jay
We have been able to get small pistol primers from Bosnia Hercegovina recently but very little else. As far as powder goes, the situation in Australia sounds very similar to Canada. No Alliant powders for three years, no Vihtouvri powders either, virtually no shotgun powders including the favourites. We cannot seem to get scopes from Leupold nor European brands either - except from Steiner. IMR rifle powders are being sold at auction for huge, crazy money. Absolutely no very slow powders like Retumbo, 7828, H-1000, W-785, not even available at the auctions. I am very lucky, I bought primers and powders in volume after Justin Trudeau was first elected, thinking a Liberal Prime Minister would come down hard on the shooting community (he has). The situation for reloaders in Canada is extremely bleak.

Back