• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

How to remove stubborn Redfield bases.

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Charles Witt

Hi all.

I was looking at a Dickson Howa Golden Bear at a LGS today and it had Redfield bases with the intregal peep sight and a cheap scope mounted. I worked out a deal to purchase, but asked if they would please check the top of the receiver for drill holes (I learned this the hard way on an otherwise gorgeous 243 Bofors Deluxe). They have a "smith" on site and they agreed. I watched in horror as the "smith" and the shop owner pinned the gun down on a workbench (there was not a vise in sight) and proceeded to muscle the screws out of the rings with a Dewalt screwdriver. They put scratches on the scope and rings buggered the screws (which looked pretty good, but not perfect, before they started). They managed to get 6 of the eight screws out, but just couldn't get the last 2 to budge. I decided to walk around the store and circle back. Upon my return, I saw sparks flying! The shop owner had taken over the project and was using a mini angle grinder to cut off the ring. I asked him if he had destroyed the rings, and he confirmed that he had destroyed them when drilled out the screws with the impact driver! Sheesh! The set screws backed out easily and he stated hitting the bases with a mallet, but after a few minutes, pronounced them "stuck". He said "if you still want to buy the gun, that's cool." I told him that I would think about it and let them know.

I can see through the ring holes and the set screw holes in the bases well enough to be pretty certain that the receiver has not been drilled. I'm considering going back in tomorrow to save the gun, but wanted to know if anyone had a method that they would share for getting these bases off.

Thank you!

You would never know, but it might have been loctited. Did they, the "smith's", even try a little heat?. More like a monkey wrench it sounds like. Shame on them. Good luck on the purchase though.

Remove barrelled-action from stock!!

Set-up in bench vice. Heavily tape all "exposed" blued surfaces.

Get, or fabricate, a 1" wide, thick brass punch/chisel. Drive base to rear(note: wrap towel around action, behind base.........to keep base from flying to parts unknown.:) )

Set-up is everything...........proceed thoughtfully and CAREFULLY!!......as so-far, the gun store plumbers have NOT!!

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Sounds like someone with an IQ somewhere in the "dozens" loctite-d the bases. Kevin's description of removal is a good one, but I fear it's going to take heat to get the goo to turn loose.

Why not leave the bases in place and simply use the appropriate Redfield-style rings to mount an appropriate scope? It hardly matters what condition the tops of the dovetails are in if the bases remain in place if, hopefully, the gorilla tactics of the store personnel haven't scarred the bases.

Sounds like someone with an IQ somewhere in the "dozens" loctite-d the bases. Kevin's description of removal is a good one, but I fear it's going to take heat to get the goo to turn loose.

Why not leave the bases in place and simply use the appropriate Redfield-style rings to mount an appropriate scope? It hardly matters what condition the tops of the dovetails are in if the bases remain in place if, hopefully, the gorilla tactics of the store personnel haven't scarred the bases.
I would not be surprised if there was Loctite all over bases. There was definitely dried "goop" visible where the screws were removed from the rings.
What is the best way to add some heat?

Carefully!! Not trying to be a rude & don't take this the wrong way, but if you have to ask that question it's best you take the rifle to a competent gunsmith & pay the nominal fee to get the bases removed. As with nearly anything, without the proper tools & know how results are usually poor. Just my two cents!
Couldn't agree more. competent smith is the way to go for me.

Charles,

Is the goop.....red or blue? Better hope it's blue!!

I've an old hairdryer(my wife has trashed sooooo many over the years.....) that I "modified" years ago. It works great on "blue" stuff.

Red is another story. It takes about 500 degrees F, for a couple of minutes.

For a nice blued Sako receiver......I don't think so. At least not at first......with the exception of a good soldering iron for screws.

Which type ya got??

BTW......NO type of loctite gets near one of my Sakos. Just me, again.

Then there's the subject of mechanically cutting the bases off. Maybe later...

Last edited:
Charles,

Is the goop.....red or blue? Better hope it's blue!!

I've an old hairdryer(my wife has trashed sooooo many over the years.....) that I "modified" years ago. It works great on "blue" stuff.

Red is another story. It takes about 500 degrees F, for a couple of minutes.

For a nice blued Sako receiver......I don't think so. At least not at first......with the exception of a good soldering iron for screws.

Which type ya got??

BTW......NO type of loc-tite gets near one of my Sakos. Just me, again.

Then there's the subject of mechanically cutting the bases off. Maybe later...
The goop is so old, it just looks white and flaky. I do not see any thing on the bases, but it could be hidden underneath. I think I may pass on this one, unless they want to make me a really nice offer to take the risk and hassle. I'll post pictures if I get it.

Charles, you don't say what price you're looking at on the gun itself, but if it's cheap enough it might be a bargain, regardless. I've owned several of the D-H rifles and even took one with me to Africa as a back-up gun. They are typically good shooters and, being from an era when rifles were rifles, are generally a notch above the pedestrian Savchestertons found on most store shelves today. So, even if the mount bases are a detraction, don't give up on the rifle if the price is right.

Charles, you don't say what price you're looking at on the gun itself, but if it's cheap enough it might be a bargain, regardless. I've owned several of the D-H rifles and even took one with me to Africa as a back-up gun. They are typically good shooters and, being from an era when rifles were rifles, are generally a notch above the pedestrian Savchestertons found on most store shelves today. So, even if the mount bases are a detraction, don't give up on the rifle if the price is right.
$600. Standard grade, but in really good condition. Nice wood.

Like Stone said.......

Also, if possible, get and post some cell phone close-up pics.............before you buy.

Kind of a win-win.....at no cost. :)

Back