• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Long term storage

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

coldspring

I'v received orders to Japan and can't take my Sako, Do you store your firearms with a heavy coating of grease such as RIG. Curious as what you are using since lighter oils end up soaking into the stock which is not good.

I'v received orders to Japan and can't take my Sako, Do you store your firearms with a heavy coating of grease such as RIG. Curious as what you are using since lighter oils end up soaking into the stock which is not good.
You did not state storage time and expected storage conditions.I have use RIG for 50 to 60 years to protect my guns in my gun vaults as well as when hunting. I have tried various other lubs/preservatives and have stayed with rig since it works for me.

You're in LA; where will the gun be stored?
Do NOT leave it in a case, open air is best, barrel down,
In a vault or locker with a golden rod or other type assorbant in the vault. If stored ina closet, loosley wrapped in a sheet but not enough to allow moisture (humidity) to accumulate,

Depending on where and how long, seperate the metal from the stock and coat in grease,

Just send the rifle to me & I promise I will wipe it down once a month & prevent any corrosion for no charge!! The poor thing has been languishing for years & shouldn't be sent to the dungeon again. I promise no fingerprints will ever be left on it.

Could be 2 to 7 years so this all came as a surprise[/Q

Your time frame, cosmoline would be my choice. Military and others been using for many many years in various storage condition. A lot of information can be found about how to use it for long term storage. Failing this approach, send it to Paulson or if married, give to your your father in law!!

Just send the rifle to me & I promise I will wipe it down once a month & prevent any corrosion for no charge!! The poor thing has been languishing for years & shouldn't be sent to the dungeon again. I promise no fingerprints will ever be left on it.
Okay- why not, at least it will be taken care of

In a fireproof gun safe at a trusted friend's or relative's residence would be what I would do. Have them inspect, wipe, & lightly oil about every 3 months or so. Leaving a gun unattended for that many years is a recipe for disaster. If that's not possible, I'd sell them & replace when I returned 7 years later. I probably wouldn't be a good choice, as I may not be alive when you return!!

Similar experiences with both my son and son in Law - Both military, overseas, no firearms, I even bough another safe to store theirs in the house, and every so often wipe them down.

Another, much more expensive, option would be to rent a climate controlled closet and secure it in there, again NOT in a case.

I'll send you a PM.

Hello Sako Lovers,
I have 3 gun & rifle cabinets, 2 are in my wooden clad wookshop { No Heating } and 1 in the house. I went and checked my guns in my workshop today. It is bitterly cold today minus 5 c below in Southern England. I opened my cabinets and to my great joy - none had any rust on them. All I did last summer was to wipe the guns & rifles with 3 in 1 all purpose light oil. I never use the bags that soak up moisture, although I think they do help. Keep safe and rust free.
Blackjack

Hello Doughnut,
Here in Southern England we have a temperate climate eg Very hot summers and bitterly cold winters. January 2021 was the wetest month since records began, which has been blamed on climate change! Our family history go back to the early 1600's, and during the Victoria period which came to an end in 1901 we experienced a mini ice age! That is why so many Christmas cards during Victoria's reign were snow & ice scenes.
Blackjack

I will pay the shipping for that 218 bee with the mannlicher birch stock to me. Better, just sell it to me. 7 years is a long time.

Hello Doughnut,
Here in Southern England we have a temperate climate eg Very hot summers and bitterly cold winters. January 2021 was the wetest month since records began, which has been blamed on climate change! Our family history go back to the early 1600's, and during the Victoria period which came to an end in 1901 we experienced a mini ice age! That is why so many Christmas cards during Victoria's reign were snow & ice scenes.
Blackjack
With all due respect, but you have no idea what "bitterly cold" is. It was -30 C where I live this morning with forecast lows even lower this weekend. Wind chills in excess of -40 C. Our summers have temps in excess of + 40 C. Southern England is a cakewalk in comparison. England is not the only country that experienced the "mini Ice Age" which occurred before the "Victorian" age. The cold snap that happened during Victoria's reign was a minor climate blip.

Paul, try - 60 !! I lved in Fairbanks, AK for a while! Now I'm in Coastal Georgia and the summers get above 100 and high humidity - just beats you down.

I drove through Iowa one winter, stopped to get gas, Probably -10 but a strong wind. Man that was COLD!!

Paul, try - 60 !! I lved in Fairbanks, AK for a while! Now I'm in Coastal Georgia and the summers get above 100 and high humidity - just beats you down.

I drove through Iowa one winter, stopped to get gas, Probably -10 but a strong wind. Man that was COLD!!
When it gets this cold, I keep my spirits up by recalling the Norwegian saying, "There is no bad weather, just bad clothing!" Wool is still the best! Had my 40+year old Woolrich hunting coat on while shoveling some snow last week @ -4 F & actually broke out in a sweat!!

Have you seen the price of Woolrich now?? I had an old mountain jacket in AK, wore over sweater or wool shirt, I was good to about -10 with that, Now those things are like $700!

The humidity in a place like Louisiana is really bad for guns. I lived in Belize for a couple of years and kept my guns in a safe in the office, which was more or less air conditioned. Even so, one had to be reblued when I transferred back to the States. The best thing to do would be to arrange storage with a friend or relative in a humidity controlled environment. Then coat it with RIG anyway. For a gun that rare and valuable I would also think about taking the action out of the stock and coating the whole thing, then put it back together. Take it apart again and clean it up when you get back.

Have you seen the price of Woolrich now?? I had an old mountain jacket in AK, wore over sweater or wool shirt, I was good to about -10 with that, Now those things are like $700!
And worth every penny! I gave over $100 dollars for mine back in the early 1970's, which was about a weeks pay for me at the time. It's still holding up fine. Don't think the new camo synthetic stuff they make today will fare as well.

Back