• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L61R Deluxe in 25-06 - no checkering on the dovetails

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

shinbone

Hi All,

I've always been interested in Sakos, but have just recently started to acquire a few. Meaning, I am just starting to learn about these great rifles. Lately, I have been nosing around for a L61R Deluxe in 25-06 because I really like the cartridge.

I found a L61R Deluxe in 25-06 without any checkering on the dovetails. I've never seen such a configuration, and was wondering if those more knowledgeable had seen anything like this? The serial number looks to be in the 68,xxx range (or, possibly, in the 66,xxx range). This is not my gun and is not in my possession, all I have are the photos shown below.

TIA!

Last edited:
shinbone, That is constant with a model 72 L61R manufactured in the very early 1970's just prior to the model Model 74 super. There is also a slight difference in the bolt sleeve. Jim

Why don't you ask the seller about it on GI. Mike is a long-time dealer in Sakos and is regarded by locals (who often post here) as dependable.

I don't think he would purposefully misrepresent it, however I fear it is a "put together" rifle, or a "bitsa" for the following reasons.

1. The smooth dovetails and rear sight are consistent with a Model 72 (the "economy" model introduced in 1972 to better compete with American Model 70's and 700's.) There were no Model 72 "Deluxes".

2. According to the factory records, if it is as it appears, serial number 68402, then that rifle was shipped to Impecco (Garcia's import branch) in May of 1972.

3. No Deluxes with iron sights are known to have been shipped to the U.S.

4. In May of 1972 the stock would have still been equipped with fixed sling swivels, not quick-detach studs, indicating a stock of later manufacture.

5. And the very strongest indicator that the stock is not original to the rifle is that the Monte Carlo has the high, sharp rear edge of the A-III, not the lower and more rounded contour of the L61R.

To see the full portfolio of photos you can look up item 101562507 on Guns International.

Why no picture of the engraved floorplate? Whether intentional or not, that gun is being misrepresented, IMHO, & is not what it is claimed to be. Caveat Emptor!

I have a 72 in 3006. Same dovetails. No checkering. Seems to work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 72 in 3006. Same dovetails. No checkering. Seems to work fine.
There is nothing different functionally with the checkered versus non-checkered dovetails. The point is that the checkering was left off of (most) Model 72 dovetails as a cost-saving measure so they could be sold cheaper in order to compete with American-made rifles when the currency exchange rate made imported goods significantly more expensive. The Model 72 was the only Sako which featured smooth dovetails, therefore a rifle presented as a "Deluxe" which has smooth dovetails is almost certainly one assembled with components that are not original to the rifle.

Few other things I noticed that is not typical for a 1972 25-06 Deluxe rifle. No white spacer on the grip and fore-end (1972 should have white spacers). the floorplate and trigger guard both have the engraving (usually just the floorplate is engraved), the metal finish on the top on the rear dovetail appears scratched as if the checkering may have been poorly due by hand, and the blue on the dovetail is thinly applied as if by hand.

I have a 1972 FinnBear. No checkering on the dovetails. Also no checkering on the fore end but I kinda like that. I also have engraving on the floor plate but not the trigger guard. The engraving says Golden Anniversary. They also removed the rest lug. I guess they cut corners in 1972 but I like the way it came out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 1972 FinnBear. No checkering on the dovetails. Also no checkering on the fore end but I kinda like that. I also have engraving on the floor plate but not the trigger guard. The engraving says Golden Anniversary. They also removed the rest lug. I guess they cut corners in 1972 but I like the way it came out.
Richard: You have a "bitsa", a gun which was put together from parts from other guns. No reason it can't be an excellent shooter.

Back