• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Hello - please help identify

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hello from SE PA. I'm looking for more information on the model of this 30-06 rifle. Marked on the barrel is "Sako" and its serial number. On top of the barrel is 30-06 and the right side is "Made in Finland". There is no model number anywhere - at least that I can see. On the left side of the action is printed "Action made in Belgium" but it isn't etched and doesn't show well in the pictures. The bolt is etched with the same serial number and has a rear lug.
The rifle was purchased used in 1970 or '71 in the US from (I believe) the original owner in its original configuration.
Any help in determining the model of this rifle and any further info on it would be great to hear. Thanks.
DSC_0011.JPG DSC_0013.JPG DSC_0015.JPG DSC_0016.JPG DSC_0018.JPG DSC_0020.JPG

Your rifle is a Sako High Power, or what some call a Sako Mauser, made during the 1950's before Sako made their long action L61R. It was built on an FN Mauser (Belgium) action by Sako with a Sako barrel & stock. The early ones had the Mauser wing safety on the bolt. The later ones had the Sako #4 trigger with it's integral safety button on the rear right side of the stock. Your's has had the butt plate replaced with a recoil pad. All the ones I've seen had serial numbers in the 100,000's, so I think they started numbering them at 100,000. Sako didn't make rifles in sequential order, but if it is within the range the club has records for, you can request information about it by clicking on Factory Records Service in the upper left of this page. Edit: Just checked and it doesn't appear we have data for the High Powers. If it has the Sako #4 trigger it was made after 1958 & before the L61R was introduced. Sako did make a few after the L61R, but I know of no way to confirm a specific date.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. From your description, I do have the #4 trigger. The chart on Sako's site has the L61R starting Jan '62 - so '58 to '61 is close enough for me for a build date.

Thanks for the quick reply. From your description, I do have the #4 trigger. The chart on Sako's site has the L61R starting Jan '62 - so '58 to '61 is close enough for me for a build date.
Actually the #4 trigger didn't appear until the L579 was introduced in 1959. Take the chart on Sako's site with a grain of salt. IIRC, the factory records we have show the L61R appearing in 1961, but others may be more certain of that.

While the Club doesn't have inspection records for the Sako-Mausers, we do have shipping records for them. However, those records are not in serial number order like the inspection records, so it takes more time and work to find a particular Sako-Mauser. If anyone would like the records for their Sako-Mauser they can get just the shipping record (shows when and to whom the rifle was shipped) for a $20 contribution.

By the way, the first L61R's were shipped in mid-1961; the last of the Sako-Mausers were shipped around 1963 or 1964 as Sako apparently had some FN actions still on hand and continued to make a few of them even after the L61R supplanted the FN action.

Thx Stonecreek for the info. I was able to find an old post elsewhere regarding a very similar rifle (serial number a little higher than mine) and the owner was given an original ship date of Dec 1958.
I'd like to take you up on your record search for my rifle - looking at your services should I just order a Level 2 in order to provide the $20 and provide the relevant details in the order? Or for this Sako-Mauser record search should we handle the transaction in another fashion?

Back