• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

A question about the serial # search,

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

sojerguy

I have an AV in a custom built wildcat caliber, I'm assuming, (.416 Taylor), which was probably never chambered in that by SAKO. I'm wondering if the search will be able to tell me what the original caliber was (and any other details model # etc...) , as I'm about to have the rifle rechambered.

Thank you and I'll pay (and recommendation on which service level to purchase) if you answer that general question. Thank you for your time

Wayne Lockbaum

I have an AV in a custom built wildcat caliber, I'm assuming, (.416 Taylor), which was probably never chambered in that by SAKO. I'm wondering if the search will be able to tell me what the original caliber was (and any other details model # etc...) , as I'm about to have the rifle rechambered.

Thank you and I'll pay (and recommendation on which service level to purchase) if you answer that general question. Thank you for your time

Wayne Lockbaum
Wayne,

Unfortunately AV rifles do not fall within the parameters of the available record search, so tracking the original caliber is not available. I’ve never seen a Sako offering in 416 Taylor, even in a safari grade rifle, but I certainly haven’t seen everything. If you post some photos it’s likely members may be able to provide details regarding potential original configuration or other details.

Last edited:
Your AV action your rifle was rebarreled for was likely one of the magnum bolt faced AVs in a factory magnum chambering which shared the .532" rim diameter with the 416 Taylor. IIRC, Sako AV factory magnum chamberings included the 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, 375 H&H Mag & possibly the 458 Win Mag or others I'm not remembering. Hopefully others here will add to or correct the list. Regardless the original barrel was one of the factory magnum chamberings Sako offered.

Thank you gentlemen. I do know it is a custom barreling. I've attached a few pictures, and the action is about 3.290" from receiver bridge to knox form if that helps. Her 416-01.jpg 416-02.jpg 416-05.jpg 416-06.jpg e are a few pics.

The barrel, brake, stock & even the metal finish are custom. It could be that the action never was part of a complete Sako made rifle. Sako sold actions only, but unfortunately we don't have records for the AV to confirm. If your action was imported as an "action only" the importer's stamp would be on the side of the action, but hidden by the stock. It could, however, have been removed when the custom work was done. I'm guessing that action was made in the late 1980's & imported by Stoeger. Without further evidence, how it started out will probably remain a mystery. Pictures always make it easier.

Nice looking rifle with beautiful wood. With a caliber like .416 Taylor, I can understand why the builder put that huge recoil pad on it, along with the muzzle brake. :D

Well here is a shot of the action with a 3.250 length 416 taylor cartridge properly loaded in the magazine, and it feeds well from there. You notice the excess space ahead of the bullet. Even a full length 3.340 won't fill that gap. Would this have started life as a magnum length action and if so, where can I measure it/look for marking to be sure? If you have a magnum length action, how long is yours?

Thanks

Attachments

• sako10.jpg
    sako10.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 14
  • sako11.jpg
    sako11.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 14
  • sako12.jpg
    sako12.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 14
The Sako L61R/AIII/AV actions are all the same length. The only difference between a standard and a Magnum action is the bolt face. The L61R was designed from the beginning to accommodate a .375 H&H cartridge, which is longer than a .416 Taylor, which is based on the Winchester Magnum family of cartridges. The .300/.338/.458 WinMag cartridges were designed to fit Magnum power into a .30-06 length action. The Sako action is is a true Magnum-length action.

The cartridge lengths was something I knew, but I do appreciate you sharing it. However, I didn't know about the action lengths and as this opens up some options for me in regards to re-chambering. Thank you.

However, I didn't know about the action lengths and as this opens up some options for me in regards to re-chambering.
Yes, you can lengthen your .416 Taylor chamber to .416 Remington since the 3.6" magazine of the A-V will accommodate it. You'll probably only gain about 100 fps -- and is that really important when you're flinging a 400 grain bullet?

Yes, you can lengthen your .416 Taylor chamber to .416 Remington since the 3.6" magazine of the A-V will accommodate it. You'll probably only gain about 100 fps -- and is that really important when you're flinging a 400 grain bullet?
If nothing else, .416 Remington ammo is a lot easier to find than .416 Taylor, although Norma and a few others do load the Taylor round. As Stonecreek says, it's questionable whether the increase in performance and ammo availability would be worth the money and hassle to get it rechambered.

Back