• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

New to me L46 .222 fullstock

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

waterwolf.
I have its momma, L46 Riihimaki .222, SN 481xx. In excellent condition.
Sakojim.
Actually, that would be the grandmother, since there was a generation in between (L46/L461/A1).

If your L46 is a carbine, rather than a full-length rifle, please post photos. An L46 carbine is seldom seen. I have an L469 carbine, but not an L46.

Well icebear, you got my curiosity up, so I had to dig it out to see, and for sure its one of those 6o year old maids that is still looking very good for her age. Barrel length 20 inches from bolt face to muzzle.
Beautiful medium blonde stock with many very light handling impressions. Hardly noticeable without very close inspection.Very busy right now but will post pictures as soon as I can make arrangements. Sakojim.

I received that Husqvarna FN Mauser 98 fullstock 9.3x62 in the mail today. Nicer shape than described by the the seller. Blue is worn from being carried, but like many big game rifles, it probably wasn't shot very often. The bore is good. There is no doubt that it is a genuine Husqvarna product. The stock is very similar to the later HVA lightweight Model 458 Monte Carlo style fullstock, except with much finer checkering. And the checkering doesn't run off the bottom of the pistol grip like on later HVAs (which I think must have been a cost-cutting measure.) According to the serial number it was made in 1952.

Last edited:
Sakojim: A carbine-length L46 Mannlicher is something I don't think I've ever run across. Great find, and a great "keeper". I am lucky enough to own one of its early progeny, an L461 Mannlicher in .222 from 1962 in near perfect condition. A friend visiting from Denmark used it to shoot a wild hog in the head on my place a couple of years ago and he was quite impressed.

What caliber is yours?

I am glad the FN98 Husqvarna turned out well. Funny also 1952 ... maybe they ran off a batch of them that year. But the FN98 fullstock are few and far between. Mine is 30-06.
Is the stock on yours two pieces or a single piece?

Thank you stonecreek. It is nice to know that it is rare. It will be for sale shortly, as soon as I can find someone to help with the pictures and computer.
By the way, I certainly hope and pray no one will buy it for the purpose of re-barreling or re-boring to a .458! Maybe I better not part with the ones that
have significant collectors value such as the NRA Commemorative, Sako 50th Anniversary, L57 .244 #385, or the SCA commemorative set new in the
boxes. I wish that I could limit the sale of these to collectors only for the preservation of rare Sako rifles. I do have shooters that are custom candidates.
Sorry, but I am just a little upset with the folks that love to "Bubba" collectible Sako's. Sakojim.

I am glad the FN98 Husqvarna turned out well. Funny also 1952 ... maybe they ran off a batch of them that year. But the FN98 fullstock are few and far between. Mine is 30-06.
Is the stock on yours two pieces or a single piece?

I just checked and its definitely one piece....which is nice , but odd, since it has those two little grooves on the forend that in the later HVA lightweights are used to disguise the joint between the two pieces of wood that make up the fullstock.

Last edited:
Husqvarna 640 (FN Mauser 98) 9.3x62
Serial number circa 1952
One piece stock

5JMi1Fx.jpg

nM8FRnv.jpg

AyZIoe7.jpg

5GHoHmt.jpg

Ttd5xDt.jpg

LyNheLx.jpg

Last edited:
I like it. And I appreciate the one-piece stock. I've seen full-stock Husqvarna rifles that the spliced piece in front was way off the color of the main part of the stock.

Yes, mismatched color of the wood in the later full-stock HVA action fullstock carbines can be a real pain. (However, I have also seen the two wood pieces so well matched that it appeared the stock was made from the same piece of wood that was then cut in two.) In my experience I think its the later production in which the wood is most mismatched...just speculation, but I think they might have started to run out of good wood and had to use up whatever they had on hand.

Last edited:
I figured out a way to plug the 3 side mount holes. This side mount for a one inch scope tube fit perfectly and mounts the scope only very slightly higher than the Talley rings I had originally tried out. It is also very light, being made from an aluminum alloy. I was thinking of using a steel one, but they are heavy and the mounting screw heads were messed up on all the steel ones the importer had, whereas this aluminum one has very nice unmolested screw heads. And now I have a clear view of the iron sights that were hidden by the Talley bases. With the Monte Carlo stock its very easy to switch back and forth from scope to irons with only a very slight movement of the head. The cheek does not have to move off the comb.

And if necessary, it is also quick detachable, slipping on or off in just a few seconds.

For what its worth, this is the type of set up that Jack Lott recommended for a dangerous game rifle, and this rifle is as close to a DGR as I own. It will do for anything in Canada, including big bears.

eHFX7oz.jpg

Talleys

WUeXLVc.jpg

Last edited:
That's a piece of luck to find the exact mount the receiver was drilled for! Looks like some kind of German sniper setup, similar to the Ajack on this Swedish M/41b. I don't know whether these mounts were originally designed for civilian or military use. It looks like you might be able to use the iron sights with the scope in place, but I've never tried it.
Sniper 4.JPG

Detachable side mounts have some advantages and were once popular, but they have gone out of style. Here's one from luxury gun builder Griffin & Howe on a 1940's Winchester Model 70.
M70-5.JPG

Back