• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Forester L579, Swedish forest workhorse!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Karmaba

Hello from Sweden!
My first post here.

Sako Forester L579
308 win

Inherited this old workhorse from a relative a few years ago.
It is my primary hunting rifle from fox to moose!

Sako optilok QR mounts with 1.5-6x44 30mm scope tube perfect for swedish forest terrain.
YES... the beartooth cheek cover is ugly but i dont want to scratch the stock with my hearing protection:)

I really love shooting with open sights with it but i need a thinner front sight blade... the stock one is way to big for my kind of shooting.

anyone knows where i can find a front sight blades that will fit? or something similar that i can modify.
Just send me a message!:)

242375030_2996655517249767_2169744625314035993_n.jpg

242279569_198882718976802_702847937705605178_n.jpg

242347892_1047798039093503_7292981140581321614_n.jpg

Looks like beautiful country. I love work horse rifles - and iron sights! I don’t know where to send you but I hope you find what you need. Rifles were built for iron sights. I think we should use them more. Good luck!

BTW, how do you like that Hawke? I had one once and liked its quality. I though the set up was a bit unusual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like beautiful country. I love work horse rifles - and iron sights! I don’t know where to send you but I hope you find what you need. Rifles were built for iron sights. I think we should use them more. Good luck!

BTW, how do you like that Hawke? I had one once and liked its quality. I though the set up was a bit unusual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello!
Indeed they are built to be used. Yeah I totally agree with that! I often take my Enfield no4 to the range aswell people look at me like I'm a weirdo because nobody uses iron sights here at all.

The scope is a Hawke Endurance 30 WA 1.5-6x44 L4A Dot reticle
I really like it! the image quality is really good for the price, it takes in enough light at dusk and dawn and with illuminated red dot and low power zoom it works great as close range sight, 6x zoom is more than enough to the places i hunt in:)

Hello Karmaba and Welcome!
Very nice rifle indeed!
The Foresters (L579 and L57) are my favorites, especially chambered in .308 win. Workhorse for sure with a huge helping of thoroughbred!
To me the Forester is the ultimate carry rifle, light weight and quick to the shoulder. I’ve hunted with mine for many years, shooting 150 g hand loads ,it’s perfect for whitetail deer and upward with proper shot placement. Shot placement comes easy with the fine adjustable trigger. Yours should have the 12 groove bore , which I feel is of superior accuracy and quality.
Looking forward to seeing your rifle leaning on or against a trophy harvest of your choice! Good luck in the field!
Edit: you may have difficulty finding a suitable front blade to replace the original. The rear elevation sight is uncommon to most rifles imported to the US , where the Sako peep or aperture sight comes in handy. My suggestion is is to become better acquainted with your original set up. With the glass you are using, with out some harsh situations that would compromise accuracy, you will be super fine!

Bloorooster

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Karmaba and Welcome!
Very nice rifle indeed!
The Foresters (L579 and L57) are my favorites, especially chambered in .308 win. Workhorse for sure with a huge helping of thoroughbred!
To me the Forester is the ultimate carry rifle, light weight and quick to the shoulder. I’ve hunted with mine for many years, shooting 150 g hand loads ,it’s perfect for whitetail deer and upward with proper shot placement. Shot placement comes easy with the fine adjustable trigger. Yours should have the 12 groove bore , which I feel is of superior accuracy and quality.
Looking forward to seeing your rifle leaning on or against a trophy harvest of your choice! Good luck in the field!
Edit: you may have difficulty finding a suitable front blade to replace the original. The rear elevation sight is uncommon to most rifles imported to the US , where the Sako peep or aperture sight comes in handy. My suggestion is is to become better acquainted with your original set up. With the glass you are using, with out some harsh situations that would compromise accuracy, you will be super fine!

Bloorooster

Hello there! and thank you:)

Yeah indeed the trigger is amazing and the gun itself is lightweight enough to carry all day in the woods.
Hmm 12groove bore you say, i didnt know that.
i dont know what year it was made but i think its a early 70's rifle...?

i am actually looking for that Sako peep sight but they are pretty rare here in sweden emailed almost(seriously) every hunting rifle gunsmiths in sweden to find one... but got no luck yet.
Thinking of modify front sight bead from a swedish M96 mauser i like the shape of them.
DSC03450.JPG

Have you thought about filing the front site thinner or filing the rear sight notch a little bigger to get the sight image you desire?
Hi!
Yes i am thinking of that but i dont want to ruin the only front sight i got, really hard to find here everybody throws these kind of stuff away to never be found again:(
if i get lucky i can modify the swedish mauser m96 front sight blade to fit.

If yours is Bofors Stamped and numbered below 80000 , it should have 12 grooves. The checkering patterns on yours seem to show pre 70’ attributes.
Does yours have a push button floor plate release or “S” type press lever?
Bloo

Thanks for the photos
It appears you possibly have pre 70’s gun…everything I see this far kinda says so but you never know…is there a stamping on the right side of the barrel..Bofors Steel..? I think it was eliminated around ‘68-69. Regardless..you have an awesome rifle. It will serve you well.

Bloo

Thanks for the photos
It appears you possibly have pre 70’s gun…everything I see this far kinda says so but you never know…is there a stamping on the right side of the barrel..Bofors Steel..? I think it was eliminated around ‘68-69. Regardless..you have an awesome rifle. It will serve you well.

Bloo

Thank you:) love it
nope no stamping on the right

Latest posts

Back