• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Awesome .264Mag deluxe

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

That certainly is a real beauty deergoose. Looks in great condition too. Don't worry about missing it. Happens to me all the time but I work on principle that even a blind squirrel find a nut once in a while!

OUCH! Missing one like that hurts.

Ironically, Cabelas usually prices their guns at about twice what they are worth. This one was worth more than twice the price.

This is the classic case of . . . a cabelas employee . . . selling a gun to a friend . . . by posting it on the net. All the while . . . the friend knows exactly when to call in for the bargain.

This is the classic case of . . . a cabelas employee . . . selling a gun to a friend . . . by posting it on the net. All the while . . . the friend knows exactly when to call in for the bargain.
You could certainly be right about that.

But there is a more disturbing part of this transaction. Cabelas will typically mark their used guns up by about 50% over what they paid for them, which is a pretty common practice that allows a discount at some point in the future. This means that Cabelas ripped someone, perhaps an unsuspecting widow, by paying them roughly $700-$750 for this item.

In Hamburg, PA, everything that comes into Cabelas goes straight into the vault. The vault is a large room where the firearm is processed. The really good stuff, like this beauty, would certainly be snagged by an outfiitter in the Firearms Department prior to being put out for sale to the public. The rules were you could buy it, but no deals. You had to pay the price. Sometimes the price was a steal and sometimes it was not. Once there were two identical stainless Sako 75s there in excellent condition. One was tagged at 850.00 and the other at 1150.00. An outfitter there I know bought the 850.00 one.

Stonecreek
Several times in the past . . . my wife has said to me . . . "please put a tag on every gun, with the amount of purchase price," just incase I go before her. And I told her . . . just put them up for sale on gunbroker . . . one at a time. But first . . . give my son and three grand sons, three or four guns each, to remember the old man by.

Two months ago, I was mailing a gun at a post office. The post master was a remington and winchester collector. And we struck up a conversation, He told me of a guy that had a hunting friend that died, and he had about 15 guns. His widow called two local gun shops to have them appraised. Both guns shops came up with a figure of less than $2000.00 for all 15 guns. The widow then called hunting buddy with the price, and the great friend said that "he would give her the same amount."

So . . . she sold all 15 guns to the hunting buddy for under $2000.00 . So . . . some friend huh?

Well, I guess it could be worse for a widow. I corresponded with a guy who is in poor health and owns what he believes is an L-42 (although I'm not so sure it is not an L-46). Asked what his intentions toward the ultimate disposal of the rifle might be, he responded that "I may just have them put it in the box with me."

Aforementioned Sako rifle is now in my possession. Thanks to a tip from a fellow member here, I bought it from the original buyer of the Cabela's listing. Real deal Sako Finnbear deluxe in .264WM, Moosehead floorplate/trigger guard !!.....and 26" barrel. Early rifle. Only a handful of very minor stock marks, blueing is just about perfect! Delighted to add this one to my herd ! Enjoy the pics.

DeerGoose

IMG_4395.jpg IMG_4397.jpg IMG_4399.jpg IMG_4400.jpg IMG_4402.jpg IMG_4404.jpg IMG_4405.jpg IMG_4406.jpg IMG_4407.jpg

I hope somebody here got this one......26" pipe!!.....moosehead plate pattern !!!

DeerGoose

Deergoose, WOW, Cabela's actually had something that special! I have basically stopped watching what they have. I guess I'll go back to watching the Library in the hopes they get the same, except with the grizzly plate. I hope one of us did get that rare bird!

Deergoose! You da man! There have been quite a few marvelous examples of Sako awesomeness laid out on that porch, but this one is outstanding! Well done!

bloo

Deergoose, when I first looked at this thread a moment ago, I read only your post saying you missed it plus a couple other posts, I then went straight to the pictures and just stopped there admiring the rifle. I just now read all the posts in this thread and saw you now own the rifle. Way to go! It couldn't have went to a better home.

Deergoose, Some people get all of the luck, even after a long wait. I bet you could show us a picture of another one just as nice with the shorter barrel. Wayne

Back