• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

70’s L61R and the AIII

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Bob LaRue

Are there any differences in the physical size of a 70’s L61R as to an AIII
Will one drop into a AIII stock without new bedding?

Thanks, I read that post and it identifies the diference in the short tang L61R and the AV
Both my AIII’s have the short tang with the stock notched out for the bolt guide
Hopefully the deference in the two are minor and just a little fine in letting will allow the L61R 25-06 to fit into the McMillan synthetic stock that the AIII .279 was glass bedded into!

I broke down and purchased a 1971 L61R in 25-06. This is now the only Non-A series SAKO I own.
I received my gun Monday. I put the SAKO L61R 25-06 into the McMillan synthetic stock I took off my AIII .270, mounted a new 3.5 - 10 Leupold Vari X-III scope with new Leupold “Low” one piece dove tail rings, bore sighted it, checked the bullet seating depth, loaded up 10 rounds of Sierra 117 gr. Spitzer Boat Tail Bullets with 52 Grains of IMR 4831 Powder and Winchester 120 Large Rifle Primers Seated to 10 Thou from lands and went out to sight it in.
The photo is a 3 shot group at 100 Yards off the back of my truck! Yes, there are 3 holes there somewhere!
Looks like it’s going to be another SAKO Tack Driver!

Attachments

• 558F26D5-484E-435B-8D6D-F4DC3861EE2B.jpeg
    558F26D5-484E-435B-8D6D-F4DC3861EE2B.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 48
Your wiggle just happened to match the universes' wobble, or something like that. It happens to the best of us...

Attachments

• 20190802_181241.jpg
    20190802_181241.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 18
What astounds me is that a 1971 L61R 25-06 fits absolutely to perfection into a stock that was glass bedded and free floated for a 1981 AIII .270!
The action squeezed into the stock like it was the AIII, even the barrel contour is exactly the same on both guns. I guess that is a testament to the quality of SAKO’s manufacturing process and how perfectly milled, cut and contoured SAKO rifles are!

Attachments

• BC99E639-25B2-41DB-9529-C69945DB6BAD.jpeg
    BC99E639-25B2-41DB-9529-C69945DB6BAD.jpeg
    347.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 5DE522F6-97BB-4D91-BBB7-2CEA00118210.jpeg
    5DE522F6-97BB-4D91-BBB7-2CEA00118210.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 34084233-DD7A-46AF-98EA-B071F9797ABF.jpeg
    34084233-DD7A-46AF-98EA-B071F9797ABF.jpeg
    504.9 KB · Views: 19
And the fact that you put a Deluxe rifle in a McM. stock is more to the point. At least it shoots.......

And the fact that you put a Deluxe rifle in a McM. stock is more to the point. At least it shoots.......
I have yet to find a SAKO stock that I can shoot! They simply don’t fit me at all, the McM synthetic is a perfect fit, the only issue is it is not pretty wood and I like nice wood!

Oddly enough, that group above came out of a classic AV 7mm Rem Mag, nestled in a McMillan hunter stock. Unbedded.

Oddly enough, that group above came out of a classic AV 7mm Rem Mag, nestled in a McMillan hunter stock. Unbedded.
Almost make one think that a SAKO nestled into a McMillan stock is a good combo. But I still like pretty wood the best

Plastic stocks are the rage & truly are superior in adverse weather conditions. But wood is genuine, beautiful, warm & wonderful to hold. Also for the fellow that wants to buy a Finwolf, There are 4 on the first page of Guns International. Good luck !! B/T

Edit#1, Mr. Bob, I see by your pic. that you are a skeet shooter, I was a member of the Forest City Gun Club in Savannah GA for 41 years, perhaps you shot here when we hosted the World skeet shoots years ago ??

Last edited:
Plastic stocks are the rage & truly are superior in adverse weather conditions. But wood is genuine, beautiful, warm & wonderful to hold. Also for the fellow that wants to buy a Finwolf, There are 4 on the first page of Guns International. Good luck !! B/T

Edit#1, Mr. Bob, I see by your pic. that you are a skeet shooter, I was a member of the Forest City Gun Club in Savannah GA for 41 years, perhaps you shot here when we hosted the World skeet shoots years ago ??
Sorry to have missed that one but I was shooting International Skeet back before they put the Worlds Permanantly in San Antonio.
I have not shot skeet on the us east coast just the Canadian east,
I used to do a lot of skeet in Arizona, Montana and Washington State but Covid shut that down the last few years.
Was World AA HOA Champion in 2018 as well as World Senior HOA Champion
COVID shut the worlds down for me the last 2 years as well.

Back