• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

FN-SAKO 30-06 VALUE?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I have been giving some thought to putting my Sako 30-06 rifle up for sale. I have only shot it twice in the last couple of years and I don't use it for hunting because i don't want to mess it up. Scope is a Norman Ford with Weaver rings. I have looked online and the $$$ for a model like i have are all over the place. .

So i am asking for your help in letting me know what the rifle would be worth at a fair market price. Your help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220308_174528.jpg
    20220308_174528.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20220308_174544.jpg
    20220308_174544.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20201012_163131.jpg
    IMG_20201012_163131.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20201012_163155.jpg
    IMG_20201012_163155.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20201012_163214.jpg
    IMG_20201012_163214.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20200812_202139.jpg
    IMG_20200812_202139.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20201012_163623.jpg
    IMG_20201012_163623.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20201012_163457.jpg
    IMG_20201012_163457.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 44
You notice that nobody wants to stick their necks out but I can give this a shot. I believe that that is a fairly early rifle and the market for them is unlike the small cal Sakos of the era. Given that it is a 30-06 and looks to be well cared for I would say the value would be somewhere between $600 and $750. I have never had much luck buying and selling Sako Mausers as investments. That is without the scope. When you take the scope off to sell the rifle, throw the mounts away. Seriously. They have a way of loosening up and ruining a hunt.

It was made for hunting. It's not a 6 figure heirloom, it's a hunting rifle. I responded to your same inquiry in the Trade Corner section a couple days ago which required I answer through the PM system. Click on your inbox if you haven't seen it. You can also just read some of the threads in the Sako Hi-Power, Mauser section & learn about your rifle as well.

Coincidentally, I just viewed a Sako Hi Power at a local gun show this very day. Same caliber, similar condition in comparison to your photos. misako’s price guess- estimate is on the money at $750. Price may have been negotiable based on the seller sign that read “cash talks BS walks”, although BS was spelled out.

As always, final price is always determined by what a buyer and seller agree on.

BTW, the gun show sucked. One other Sako. A beater Deluxe for $900, About half the show was made up of jerky, imported survival crap, cheap knives and machetes, sun glasses, and other worthless trinkets. Should have spent my $7.00 on a breakfast burrito instead.

Last edited:
BTW, the gun show sucked. One other Sako. A beater Deluxe for $900, About half the show was made up of jerky, imported survival crap, cheap knives and machetes, sun glasses, and other worthless trinkets. Should have spent my $7.00 on a breakfast burrito instead.
I feel your pain. I haven't seen a single Sako in the last several gun shows around here, although I did buy a semiauto Suomi at the last show and a Winchester 9422 at the one before.

About half the show was made up of jerky, imported survival crap, cheap knives and machetes, sun glasses, and other worthless trinkets.
Unfortunately, that was probably the better half:(. No one bothers to take quality guns to an event where the average attendee is 29 years old, pays $500 per month for the travel trailer he lives in, $500 per month for his motorcycle payment, $500 per month in child support, spends $500 per month on cigarettes and beer, and makes $2100 per month at his job at the KwikLube place. He's only got $100 left over for the jerky and ninja knife (well, actually just $93 after the price of admission).

Unfortunately, that was probably the better half:(. No one bothers to take quality guns to an event where the average attendee is 29 years old, pays $500 per month for the travel trailer he lives in, $500 per month for his motorcycle payment, $500 per month in child support, spends $500 per month on cigarettes and beer, and makes $2100 per month at his job at the KwikLube place. He's only got $100 left over for the jerky and ninja knife (well, actually just $93 after the price of admission).
Sad, but more than a little true. And he's at the gun show to look for some "tacticool" gimmick for his bargain-basement AR-15.

I was always enthralled by the barb wire and custom jewelry.......although my wife did like the "hand made" purses.
Then....a few years ago.....while on a short anniversary trip to Dallas(with a side trip to the Market Hall Gun Show).....I made the colossal error of following said wife into Neiman-Marcus.........:(

On the positive side......from a young age.....my son has ALWAYS liked gun show knives.
Oddly....he's probably the only one to make good "deals". :)

The Sako HP .. to me , deserves the same respect as the L46. It marks the beginning of Sako’s entrance into the sporting rifle market. Built on one of the best actions available, until the fabrication of their own L61R.
They are slim and trim, an absolute hunters dream!
$750 would be a dream as well!
I’d value it equal to the L46 in the same condition, both being chambered in their respective most popular calibers .

Bloo

Most of what you have stated is a complete fabrication of the facts. What is even more disturbing is the fact that there are some here that think that it is entertaining. Too many of the members here consider that sucking up to the political whims of the ownership is tantamount to a proper and pleasant forum. This one has become a joke. I will be gone for good this time. The last ten years have been of no avail.

Misako50, please reconsider as the forum members have invaluable Sako products information & related experiences to share. When there is a personal opinion, whether serious, meant as humor or as an analogy that one disagrees with, I suggest to just ignore it and only look at our commonality of topics. One can disagree without being disagreeable, and certainly not meant to disparage anyone.
I’m sure there are many here that might feel the same but the site is the only source of Sako information that is otherwise unavailable and better yet that data by being found on this site becomes a record for useful use in the future. I participate in no other forums or sites as the benefits & fraternalism that exists here offers what few, if any offer. One can take a break or not interact on topics or comments that may seem either of no interest, unpleasant or offensive but remain as members.
Take a break, revisit soon & all the best.

I don't get it. Why leave over this? Nobody is sucking up to anybody. Stonecreek has expressed his view of some of the folks who show up at gun shows these days (exaggerated for comic effect). If you don't agree, you are free to express your view, as is anybody else. Nobody is being censored here. I hope you will reconsider leaving the forum. I, for one, value your knowledge and opinions on Sako rifles very highly.

The Sako HP .. to me , deserves the same respect as the L46. It marks the beginning of Sako’s entrance into the sporting rifle market. Built on one of the best actions available, until the fabrication of their own L61R.
They are slim and trim, an absolute hunters dream!
$750 would be a dream as well!
I’d value it equal to the L46 in the same condition, both being chambered in their respective most popular calibers .

Bloo
I agree on the intrinsic merits of the FN-Sako vs. L46, but intrinsic merit and cash market value seem to be different in this case. The going rate for a complete, original L46 on Gunbroker is at least a couple of hundred above the $930 for the like-new FN-Sako in the auction I posted above. The collector market just values an L46 more highly than an FN-Sako and there are more people in pursuit of a really nice L46. I have a couple of FN-Sako rifles, and I prize them highly. But when they go to auction, possibly at an estate sale, the L46's will bring more than the FN's.

Misako , agree with Spaher and icebear - please reevaluate the decision to leave the forum. It’s clear to me you’re a cherished member.

Everyone has a different level as to the types of humor which makes them chuckle. (I don’t think Will Ferrel is funny) I’m sure Stonecreek touched several humorous bones, mine included, when he replied to the feelings regarding our once great gun show. Heck I thought maybe he was in attendance. Maybe share your insight regarding your objections.

Unfortunately times have changed (and not for the better) related to shows. Although maybe slightly dramatic, Stone has touched on a sort of fact based trend - and it gives the true genuine sportsman/collector a fairly unfair stigma.

Real quality (former) shows have turned into flea markets with fewer guns in many cases. I’m sure there’s still a few good ones left, but probably very few. I used to go to shows where there were 200 or more tables and 90% was guns or gun related items. Now it’s like 50% crap - 20% black rifles and black handguns and 30% actual sporting arms. I wish the event holder would have a smaller shows and simply require “gun and gun related” items. It’s ridiculous to claim 200 tables- then actually have maybe 60 or 70. Heck I can even deal with the black stuff to a degree. I’m just sick of ostrich jerky, emu jerky, kangaroo jerky, rattlesnake jerky, candles, fake turquoise jewelry and so on.

Hope you’ll take another look. Thanks.

On the gunshow thing..... Most of the shows in my area are still 90% gun or gun related items like optics, ammo, accessories, parts, etc. The non-gun related items tend to not do well & you don't see many "return" vendors. It might be that I'm in the midwest with a more rural tone & strong hunting tradition, but who knows. I don't mind the knife guys at all. Some serious craftsmanship there. I do like the guy with the deep fried pickles & the lady that sells the socks is always a must see! Got a great walking stick at a show last year, so it not all bad! It's all fun guys & if you don't go you might miss out on the Sako of your dreams. It's kinda like a carnival. Enjoy it while it lasts.

On the gunshow thing..... Most of the shows in my area are still 90% gun or gun related items like optics, ammo, accessories, parts, etc. The non-gun related items tend to not do well & you don't see many "return" vendors. It might be that I'm in the midwest with a more rural tone & strong hunting tradition, but who knows. I don't mind the knife guys at all. Some serious craftsmanship there. I do like the guy with the deep fried pickles & the lady that sells the socks is always a must see! Got a great walking stick at a show last year, so it not all bad! It's all fun guys & if you don't go you might miss out on the Sako of your dreams. It's kinda like a carnival. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Excellent comment, and it is good to have an open mind to some of the non-gun vendors. Unfortunately the shows around here are NOT 90% gun-related, but I still find a gem once in a while. And everybody has his own definition of what is a gem. I do miss one of the non-gun vendors. The fudge lady hasn't been back post-COVID, and I always used to pick up some fudge for my girlfriend. Maybe next show.

I apologize for my description of some gun show attendees. I didn't realize that so many of our members lived in a rented travel trailer and were behind on their motorcycle and child support payments. Or that they spent a lot of time at the nunchuck vendor's table. If that describes you, or a loved one, I'm so sorry.

Exactly how my unintentional offense relates to Sako's serial numbering isn't clear to me, but I certainly apologize for that, too.

It is unfortunate that the electronic template which the forum is based on lists the board members of the non-profit which manages the forum as "owners". 'Tain't so. There are just board members; there are no owners. If anyone would like to be on the board please raise your hand and you're elected. Of course, this will make you responsible for raising approximately $2,000 in annual expenses (due monthly) for server space, internet registration fees, and web maintenance of the forum.

From time to time I post the fiscal position of the Club. Right now we have about $800 in the bank. The funds are generated by Google Ads (about $30 to $40 per month) and contributions from folks who ask for Factory Records on their Sakos. Looking up these records in scans of the old handwritten ledgers is labor intensive and time-consuming. We're lucky to have volunteers willing to do it whose efforts are themselves a contribution to the continuance of the forum.

Now, I'm going to go have a chunk of beef jerky for breakfast. Chill, guys.

Back